Folks trying to "label" skirt-wearers?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Folks trying to "label" skirt-wearers?

Post by howardfh »

Come across this a few times, wearing "male" attire with skirt, maybe fishnets or something - people often ask, politely, "what am I?"
Meaning - transvestite? Transexual? Cross-dresser??
Why they feel the need to label everyone is beyond me, but my reply is simply "alternative" but I prefer saying "just being myself and wearing whatever I like". Some are happy and accept that, some others can't get their heads round it, but the majority have always said "good on you".
Of course the more men we get to wear skirts, then we can drop the "alternative" :)

Also just had a day out in London on the train from the NW and not one comment or even look - just as if I'd worn jeans (sorry to swear there) all day. Great!!
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Folks trying to "label" skirt-wearers?

Post by new2skirts »

In this "woke" society, no one wants to be seen as backward, some may scrabble for old terms because they don't know the new ones :roll: Some may think, if the skirt wearer is obviously male, are they in the early stages of (social) transition? Some people's heads just explode 🤯 as it's hard to find the appropriate box. Thankfully, there's more of the gender fluid types appearing on Instagram, usually bearded, like most young guys, save for the choice of clothes - usually a racy mini skirt, or really girly dress. "You do you" is an easy response. People have been conditioned all their lives, so may be scared to embrace sartorial anarchy like wearing a skirt, heels etc. :roll:

Edited for typo :)
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Well, as people here know, I wear women clothing from head to toe on my outings, including earrings, high heels, a purse on my shoulder, even the occasional dalliance with lipstick, and yet, in the eleven plus years I’ve been doing this, I’ve never had anyone ask me exactly what I was, be it a crossdresser, transvestite, transsexual, gender fluid, name the label. I suppose if someone were to pose such a question, I could be snarky and say I’m a Democrat (which I am), but, given the terribly partisan, not to mention toxic political climate here in the States, that might get me a dirty look and then some. While I’m not one to subscribe to labels, if I were to apply one to myself, it would be “fashion freestyler”, one who poses no rules in regard to what I choose to wear, and if I chose to wear skirts, dresses and heels in public, that’s my choice which affects no one around me.
Last edited by JeffB1959 on Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:06 pmI suppose if someone were to pose such a question, I could be snarky and say I’m a Democrat (which I am), but, given the terribly partisan, not to mention toxic political climate here in the States, that might get me a dirty look and then some.
The only time I was ever asked that question, my reply was I am a human being from the planet Earth what planet are you from??

This had the effect to shut down the person and send him on his way. At the time I was wearing a mens sport shirt and a denim knee length skirt. I was still learning how to wear skirts. Oh so many years ago in my skirt history. Now I just ignore the foolish and let them go their way.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

The good news is, even if they do label you, it should peel right off. I don't know of an adhesive that would permanently stick to the skin. Though if they put it on my clothes I'd be annoyed.

OK, in all seriousness... you did put label in quotes :D.

This is what I'm afraid of myself, and some of the response so far have been excellent. For me, I keep going back to "I wear what I want (or initially, "it's what I've always wanted to." or maybe "just expressing my style finally"). Still trying to figure out the words that I can say with ease.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I recall a nice older woman cheerfully ask me "what do you represent?"

I just smiled back and said "I represent me!"

Then continued, "I also just like making people like you smile..!"

Happiness all around!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Just tell them your first name so they will know what to call you.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

This has been bugging me for a bit - the labeling aspect. We all like to classify things - generalize things, otherwise stereotypes wouldn’t be so ingrained in our world.

As I was looking though a skirt wearing male’s instagram, he kept referring to himself as “queer”. I guess it’s fine he takes up that mantle - but I see that label consistently applied to fashion-forward males when it comes to adopting anything that might be considered feminine. I realize they may be at odds with what our ends are (see forum mission statement for what I’m referring to), but I also wonder if they have it backwards, and perhaps our culture has steered them in that direction.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Coder wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:38 pm This has been bugging me for a bit - the labeling aspect. We all like to classify things - generalize things, otherwise stereotypes wouldn’t be so ingrained in our world.

As I was looking though a skirt wearing male’s instagram, he kept referring to himself as “queer”. I guess it’s fine he takes up that mantle - but I see that label consistently applied to fashion-forward males when it comes to adopting anything that might be considered feminine. I realize they may be at odds with what our ends are (see forum mission statement for what I’m referring to), but I also wonder if they have it backwards, and perhaps our culture has steered them in that direction.
Again people are still confusing clothing with sexuality. In my very limited experience, most gay guys don’t dress in skirts nor do lesbians all walk about in dungarees. From the posts on this site the members are predominantly heterosexual in vanilla relationships. When at university many years ago, I was frustrated to find that most guys didn’t know the difference between transvestite sic and transsexual. I sincerely hope things are clearer for them now. At the time they were too ignorant to know they didn’t know and insisted it was I who was wrong. Incidentally this was long before my skirt wearing daysi
:roll:
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Shilo wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:00 pm Again people are still confusing clothing with sexuality. In my very limited experience, most gay guys don’t dress in skirts nor do lesbians all walk about in dungarees. From the posts on this site the members are predominantly heterosexual in vanilla relationships. When at university many years ago, I was frustrated to find that most guys didn’t know the difference between transvestite sic and transsexual. I sincerely hope things are clearer for them now. At the time they were too ignorant to know they didn’t know and insisted it was I who was wrong. Incidentally this was long before my skirt wearing daysi
Right. I don’t know if he presents the way he does because he thinks that makes him more authentic, or if he just loves the clothes.

As for Universities, I may find out one day, hopefully soon. From the messaging we (staff) are sent, it’s kind of mixed. There was a talk “It’s not about the clothes”. Not sure if that was the title or the discussion matter - couldn’t attend. I think in general the message is sent in a way that supports this forum’s goals - along with all the other DEI - I just want to be “me”. I don’t need or want to be part of some group label - that includes all the alphabet. I fear losing my “regular person label”. Sigh, which is a label in and of itself, and honestly, I don't think anyone thinks of me as normal anyhow, so why pretend I am?
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Most people would not try and label me when wearing a Kilt, why would they try a label me when wearing a skirt.

I can't say for sure since I have never run into the issue with someone trying to place a label on me when wearing a skirt and I have been regularly wearing skirts in public for over 15 years now.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Maybe not right up front to your face - BUT behind your back - hummmm ?

Wait till he gets around the corner - then laughter - maybe some downright nasty words
reference to your upbringing by your folks - innuendo this innuendo that !

A tartan plaid skirt has a great deal more lee way/liberty here confused with the kilt
especially if there are pleats.
Go with a mini-skirt and push the fashion envelope
Other types of skirts may have a hard time convincing that this is you in everyday wear
until acclimation sets in - Oh he's the guy mate whatever from where ever we hark from !

Had some interest conversation starters in the grocery market aisle - relax he is not the
droid that you think he is - comfortable relaxed all composed -
after all it is only clothing - some wear it better than others !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Well, I still wear my kilts on Sunday mornings or wherever I want the formal look.

I recently acquired a black-and-white houndstooth plaid mini skirt with pockets and have been wearing it every chance I get - smoothing the backside down as I sit and coming up the side so extra material drops down between the legs and locking my ankles together to keep the knees together...unless I have the luxury of a good wide table to hide under.

But it has yet to be mistaken for a kilt. My black skater skirt stills gets the 'mistaken for a kilt' honors.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Shilo wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:00 pm
Coder wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:38 pm This has been bugging me for a bit - the labeling aspect. We all like to classify things - generalize things, otherwise stereotypes wouldn’t be so ingrained in our world.

Again people are still confusing clothing with sexuality. In my very limited experience, most gay guys don’t dress in skirts nor do lesbians all walk about in dungarees. From the posts on this site the members are predominantly heterosexual in vanilla relationships. When at university many years ago, I was frustrated to find that most guys didn’t know the difference between transvestite sic and transsexual. I sincerely hope things are clearer for them now. At the time they were too ignorant to know they didn’t know and insisted it was I who was wrong. Incidentally this was long before my skirt wearing daysi
It's an easy lazy label... they may think some of us dress like a girl to pick up men... most may see freestylers as on the way to transition, and may not simply just like the clothes. As for the instagrammer, he may embrace the Queer banner as a way to end the insult by taking that name for himself. He may also have a boyfriend who loves the way he dresses. If it's not a recognizeable kilt typically worn by men, their minds go into meltdown. Conversely skirters who haven't found sites like here may feel the only route to dress is the "femme" cliche. But as more freestylers get out there, as regular guys but in skirts, then perhaps it will change.

For the past few years, every hot UK summer has brought more "men in skirts and dresses" stories, and the comments seem more favorable, so things may change. Sometimes these guys are highlighting not being able to wear shorts, and have gotten a surprise from their employer who say its okay to stay in the skirt :mrgreen:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...