I am Corporal Klinger

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jjjjohanne

I am Corporal Klinger

Post by jjjjohanne »

I realized something recently. I am Corporal Klinger from M*A*S*H... He was a character on an American situation comedy television show who wore women's clothing in the hope to get sent home from the war for having mental issues. Every episode, he would wear some housewife/church lady outfit and do his normal job. Normally, no one cared how he was dressed and it was just not an important detail.

I am Klinger. I am not sure if I am entirely comfortable with this realization! :) I am a dude who walks around doing normal guy things while wearing women's fashions. I'm not any prettier than he was and I am not trying to fool anyone (well, he was trying to pass himself off as crazy... so he was trying to fool people).

Anyone else here who thinks they are also a Klinger?
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I am Corporal Klinger

Post by oldsalt1 »

Scan_20180403 (3).jpg
I wear skirts and on occasion a dress during my visits to the VA clinic . Part of my visit is a weekly PTSD session. . The men in the group don't have any problem with my attire. But in the casual talk before and after group klinger has come up.

It is in good humor the only problem is that going from " Lt. Dan" who I actually was to " corporal Klinger" is a demotion :lol: :lol: :lol:
Scan_20191127 (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Lt. Dan... you got new legs! :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

oldsalt1 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:51 pm Scan_20180403 (3).jpgI wear skirts and on occasion a dress during my visits to the VA clinic . Part of my visit is a weekly PTSD session. . The men in the group don't have any problem with my attire. But in the casual talk before and after group klinger has come up.

It is in good humor the only problem is that going from " Lt. Dan" who I actually was to " corporal Klinger" is a demotion :lol: :lol: :lol:Scan_20191127 (2).jpg
Old Salt, you are now and were then a very handsome man. Those are great pictures of you. How long did you serve? Thank you for your loyalty and service to our country.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I was in the service 3 years one of them in Nam
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Cool look Oldsalt. A very tasteful fusion of styles. I admire American culture for the respect it shows to their servicemen. A bit different from this side of the pond where servicemen are discouraged from going out and about in uniform.
:roll:
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Hi Oldsalt,

well I can't say I am Cpl Klinger cause I never served, but I wear pretty much an garment from a womans wardrobe on a daily basis.
In that sense I am a bit of a loose unit. But hey its fun and so much prettier than boring mens fashions.

We had MASH over here in NZ - it hasn't rescreened etc over here for ages, but it was always on back in the day.

cheers
NZF
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Heh! I guess I am. I was in the Navy for twenty years (1976-1996), so I guess I qualify! :lol:
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I am sure there are other veterans in the café , If we keep this up we can get an entire platoon and I can go back to being Lt Dan :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

MOH called my skirt wearing a fetish last night. To paraphrase Erin Brockovich I said to MOH, "please don't use big words you don't understand" which didn't go down too well. I went on to add that a fetish has a sexual component and there's no sexual element to my wearing a skirt so it can't be a fetish. During the initial stages of my skirt wearing she asked me once if I got a "hard-on" when wearing a skirt. I assured her that I didn't and that there was nothing sexual about my skirts - I had other more down to earth and rational reasons for my skirts.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

oldsalt1 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:10 am I am sure there are other veterans in the café , If we keep this up we can get an entire platoon and I can go back to being Lt Dan :lol: :lol: :lol:
I spent nearly 4 years in my Uncles Flying Club. (0)

So that adds one more vet to the unit!! :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(0) The US Air Force..
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

While I have a generally serious attitude regarding MIS, I think I can see how an individual might enjoy the act of defying a taboo. That is, enjoying the defiance of a taboo for the sake of defying a taboo.

Nzfreestyler has a good point (one that I believe has been discussed before) about the sheer dullness of typical male garb. I am not sure if women would grasp this point, as they aren't the ones stuck with drab clothing for a life time.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Perhaps we should recall that Max Klinger wore a dress etc in order to obtain a Section 8 psychiatric discharge from the army.
This certainly did not endear him to a lot of his superiors who were well aware of the strategy behind his sartorial choices.
I must say that MASH was one of the best films and sit-coms of that era.
Steve.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

MASH was quite popular in the Netherlands. I'm not much of a sitcom watcher so I saw only a few episodes. Cpl Klinger was more in the corner of church ladies when it came to his outfits as far as I can remember. And the silly hats were literally the cherry on the cake. Maybe that is why they call people like him fruit cakes. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

He guys I don't know about Klinger but my official military medical records state that I wear skirts :roll: :roll: :roll: