Wearing a Dress in Public Today

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wearing a Dress in Public Today

Post by Coder »

I like the *idea* but have never found anything that I'd be comfortable in admitting to wearing, let alone someone else seeing me in one (I have this: https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/embr ... rene-shift). I don't know the why - it's a bit frightening not to have anything around my waist I suppose. I'm also tall - and am not yet accustomed to the short torso look that many/most dresses aspire to. And with the aforementioned shift dress, I don't have the equipment to fill it out, so it would need a bit of tailoring to make it lie flatter. I'm trying to get courage up to convert it to a skirt, but I've toyed with the idea of wearing it under a sweater so I don't have to mangle it.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Coder wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:40 am I like the *idea* but have never found anything that I'd be comfortable in admitting to wearing, let alone someone else seeing me in one (I have this: https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/embr ... rene-shift). I don't know the why - it's a bit frightening not to have anything around my waist I suppose. I'm also tall - and am not yet accustomed to the short torso look that many/most dresses aspire to. And with the aforementioned shift dress, I don't have the equipment to fill it out, so it would need a bit of tailoring to make it lie flatter. I'm trying to get courage up to convert it to a skirt, but I've toyed with the idea of wearing it under a sweater so I don't have to mangle it.
that is a very very nice dress, so don't cut it up!

Yes most dresses that length will make your torso look shorter - they are intended to elongate your legs - so you kind of have to accept that.
As far as equipment to fill the dress, I can assure you that most modern dresses are designed for smaller equipment, even B cup breasts will be a lot for dress styles like that one - so being smaller is actually a good thing. The other option dare I say is to just wear a padded A/AA bra with that dress if you don't want the fabric to wrinkle.

If you are concerned about your top half - I would recommend a fitted jacket be worn with it - but not a long jacket - shorter jacket to you waist/hips only! The kind that ends on your hip - and could have long sleeves or 3/4 sleeves. I wear a lot of dresses in this style and I often pair a fitted jacket over the dress. Its just the same as skirt, top and jacket - except its simpler with a dress !

Anyway - hope that helps.

regards
NZF
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

nzfreestyler wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:58 am that is a very very nice dress, so don't cut it up!

Yes most dresses that length will make your torso look shorter - they are intended to elongate your legs - so you kind of have to accept that.
As far as equipment to fill the dress, I can assure you that most modern dresses are designed for smaller equipment, even B cup breasts will be a lot for dress styles like that one - so being smaller is actually a good thing. The other option dare I say is to just wear a padded A/AA bra with that dress if you don't want the fabric to wrinkle.

If you are concerned about your top half - I would recommend a fitted jacket be worn with it - but not a long jacket - shorter jacket to you waist/hips only! The kind that ends on your hip - and could have long sleeves or 3/4 sleeves. I wear a lot of dresses in this style and I often pair a fitted jacket over the dress. Its just the same as skirt, top and jacket - except its simpler with a dress !

Anyway - hope that helps.

regards
NZF
I’ve considered the jacket route - but since I’m not yet wearing a skirt in public (though I have been out a few times recently), just not sure. I ordered a linen jacket to see if the style fits me, I have one fitted black blazer, but feel too “made up” wearing it. I’m trying something a bit more casual that might be more to my liking.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Coder wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:52 am I’ve considered the jacket route - but since I’m not yet wearing a skirt in public (though I have been out a few times recently), just not sure. I ordered a linen jacket to see if the style fits me, I have one fitted black blazer, but feel too “made up” wearing it. I’m trying something a bit more casual that might be more to my liking.
All the best. I have relooked at that dress link you posted and it is very classical !
Cheers
NZF
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I'm with nz, don't cut up that dress! At six foot two, I happen to love how dresses emphasize my long legs, and I find them fun to wear, easier too, no time spent trying to pair a top with a skirt, I just throw on a dress, add shoes and I'm done. Take the time to enjoy your dress, it makes for a delightful experience.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

My wife and I went grocery shopping and then for Valentine's day dinner at the Chinese buffet. I wore this dress.
My wife did ask that I keep the blazer on, thinking it too feminine without it, so I chose to please her in this. When we got home I wore it without which was fine with her. Maybe she'll get used to it.

So this is was the first time I was seen by lots of people in a dress. It didn't feel weird at all.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Oh, my wife reported two different conversations to me. One was a child saying to what was probably his mother that "that man's wearing a skirt." She answered back, "Yes, he is."

And in the parking lot, a woman said to my wife, "I think you folks are wonderful. You just have it in you. Jesus loves you."
jjjjohanne

Post by jjjjohanne »

I am skimming through this thread in order to catch up on the conversation. In my experience, I have seen no difference in the world's reaction to me in a dress vs. a skirt. Except that I may have received more compliments on my dresses. Often, I feel prettier in a dress than in a two-piece outfit. But, that might just be my manly conquest-mind rejoicing in finally finding dresses that hang right and have an appropriate waist line for my height!!

Joey
hackberry

Post by hackberry »

Sinned wrote:
> I have seen young women in floral dresses wearing Doc Martin boots as the
> accessory. At first the sight jarred on me as the footwear just seemed to
> juxtapose two elements and shatter the feminine image. I realised later
> that that was what it was meant to do. I also have seen dresses with
> trainers so more formal footwear isn't a necessity. Sometimes the contrast
> is refreshing.
I work in a college campus environment where several times you see nice skirts worn with Doc Martin's or similar. It's a look I really like. I see it as a statement I'm ready to go have fun.