Denim dress

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Denim dress

Post by crfriend »

Dust wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:45 amWhile I appreciate practical, utilitarian solutions, we need to have beauty as well, and the two should not be seen as mutually exclusive.
We are on precisely the same page in this regard; in fact, much of the time the most practical solutions can be, at the same time, compellingly beautiful. The two are in no way contradictory unless we so will it.
If forty years is your timeframe, I'm in those two generations you're talking about. My initial thought was "conservative!? What the heck is he talking about?!" but then I realized that compared to the 60's and 70's that I've only heard about but never lived you might have a point in some respects. Still, a lot of very liberal changes happened in the 90's and on to today, whatever you may think of it.
I'm pushing sixty, and have active memories from the 1960s and '70s. There is much of that time-frame that we'd have been better without, but as far as exploration of the boundaries of menswear, it was the last gasp. The intervening time between then and now has largely been a vast wasteland (to crib Newton Minow's famous line). From my perspective, the sociological fabric has been about the same.
I'm definitely in agreement with the "be there change you want to see" concept, although my style is different from yours. In fact, I tend to see using past eras for anything but a touch of inspiration (or something to learn from the mistakes of) as reactionary, just on a larger time scale.
Good. You have your own ideas. Carry them into the world around you. I do not pretend to be an exemplar. However, I strive when I can to inspire others to "think outside the box".
Every era had it's issues, and longing for days gone by that one didn't actually experience in a sort of artificial nostalgia just strikes me as stupid and lazy at best, and asking for a repeat of the worst of those times due to ignorance.
Indeed, much of history must've been a deplorable place to live in -- and I am not in any way advocating "returning to" those systems; however, I firmly advocate for cherry-picking style elements from periods now long-past and integrating them into the modern realm (for all of its faults) gracefully and beautifully. For instance, I find it rather odd to not be understood when I stand (I originally wrote "rise" there, but wonder how many would understand that idiom) to shake someone's hand. Whither civility?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Denim dress

Post by Grok »

Perhaps someday people will take inspiration from several different periods. Late Victorian, early Edwardian, 1920s, 1950s.....