Denim dress

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
steamman

Denim dress

Post by steamman »

Does anyone here wear denim dresses? I just bought one tonight and plan to wear it tomorrow and it will be the first time i've ever worn a dress in public which although it shouldn't be a big deal, kind of feels like it is (even though it is just a skirt with a top attached to it).

It was so nice to walk into the shop wearing a skirt to try on a dress and you certainly don't have any hang ups about it as it's pretty obvious from how you are dressed. I deliberately wore the boots I intend to wear with the dress, my over-knee wedge boots with 6 inch heels. I was astounded at how good I looked in the changing room!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Denim dress

Post by skirtyscot »

I'm sure we will all be equally astounded by it, when you let us see a photo!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Yeah, I've got a couple of denim dresses. I really like them
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

I rate them. I have a denim shirt dress and a denim pinafore dress. I was nervous the first time I wore a dress out, even though I had been wearing skirts for years. It was no big deal in the end. Good luck.
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

I have a denim dress and it is my least liked dress. Harsh fabric but ok for jobs around the house. Softer fabrics seem to fit better.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I have linen dresses in tones similar to light denims - but no denim dresses. Plenty of denim mini skirts but not a dress!
A simple sheath style denim dress would be very nice I think.

cheers
NZF
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I haven’t a denim dress in my closet, but I’d certainly consider one to wear. That would be fun.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

JeffB1959 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:09 pm
I haven't one in mine either, nor would I as I positively detest the fabric in all its forms, shapes, and symbolic meanings. It's a harsh scratchy fabric that degrades rapidly with moisture, its symbology harks to a time I find backwards and primitive, and I try to seek things out that are comforting, pretty, and stylish. Denim is none of the above.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

crfriend wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:18 am I haven't one in mine either, nor would I as I positively detest the fabric in all its forms, shapes, and symbolic meanings. It's a harsh scratchy fabric that degrades rapidly with moisture, its symbology harks to a time I find backwards and primitive, and I try to seek things out that are comforting, pretty, and stylish. Denim is none of the above.
I've been avoiding jeans for years. I still have a couple pair in my closet, but I need to weed.

Your comment about degrading with moisture is actually something I've seen. I had a stretch just before I stopped wearing them regularly, when my jeans would fail first in the crotch. The fabric would simply get destroyed by sweat, and that would be the first area to go. It was one reason (among many) that I starting looking at clothing with no inseam.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Dust wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:39 am ...Your comment about degrading with moisture is actually something I've seen. I had a stretch just before I stopped wearing them regularly, when my jeans would fail first in the crotch. The fabric would simply get destroyed by sweat, and that would be the first area to go. It was one reason (among many) that I starting looking at clothing with no inseam.
Another advantage of skirts: no crotch to fail.  I've had denim skirts fail around the pockets, but nowhere else.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Never had a problem with material degradation in jeans and I have some pairs that are over 20 years old and worn regularly. What's all the fuss about? I know that jeans aren't as comfortable as skirts but so what? Comfort is relative.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I also don’t have a problem with denim - it’s just another fabric. My problem with denim is only that, since I wear it enough, I develop holes in the knees eventually. I’ve never had it fail anywhere else except the hems, and that’s because I tend to buy long inseams and cuff them (but don’t sew the cuffs).
Last edited by Coder on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I have two stretch denim skirts. The cloth is very light weight compared to jeans. I like the stretch material and have unlimited stride without needing to pull them up if stepping over a rock or a log.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I don't have any trouble with wearing out my denim - or any degradation. Mind you I only have 2 pairs of jeans and they seldom get worn these days, My skirts last and last, and the distressed denim skirts were designed to be frayed etc....

Perhaps the main consideration with a denim dress would be that it is lined so that is still moves on your body and doesn't bunch?

Also I suspect denim would be much warmer - so a capped sleeve dress etc would be quite warm it might pay to be a sleeveless traditional style like a sheath dress?

cheers
NZF
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Denim doesn't bother me. In skirted forms. Trousered forms, forget it. Especially more expensive "fashion" jeans. They wear out very quickly. My issue is that there isn't enough freedom of motion, so I frequently wind up tearing the crotch out while jumping over a puddle. So, I haven't worn long trousers in at least 10 years. I'll wear shorts when necessary, but nothing longer than that. Partly due to the reason listed above, and partly because it's a reminder of my sister's divorce proceedings, which occured a little more than 10 years ago.

With respect to denim dresses, if you want sleeves, I'd go with a chambray fabric instead. Otherwise, go sleeveless. A fuller hem would be better than a straight/pencil hem, IMO.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo