Wooden creations

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wooden creations

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi BL,
Way after!! Hurricanes provided firewood only and the grounds needed just a little gentle tidying-up afterwards.

Good advice. Old recycled timber, nails screws warts an' all were largely used in most of my constructions. Nice holster in pic with neat workshop & empty shelves! In MOH's world empty shelves exist for only a few nanoseconds after they are installed. One cannot deploy a camera in that time.

The green tool in my left hand is a Metabo jigsaw. With a few rechargeable batteries I have portable Metabo angle-grinder, drill and circular saw as well for use around the grounds away from power points. Bigger tools are mains or petrol driven of course and live in our barn.

Intra-oral measurements are in microns or hundredths of a millimeter for certain things. Yes, it's nice to look up at the day's end and tackle something measured merely in mm.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Kirbstone wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:04 pm...... Nice holster in pic with neat workshop & empty shelves! In MOH's world empty shelves exist for only a few nanoseconds after they are installed. One cannot deploy a camera in that time. .....
Those shelves were empty because I just finished that part of the workbench. Those shelves were filled rather fast, not in a few nanoseconds but not much longer. Storage is always a problem with me, never enough. Half my equipment is mobile and now I'm running out of parking space. Maybe a parking meter will help.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Now that dates you, BL. For I suppose ten years ago now in this neck-o-the-woods parking meters were replaced by solar powered street daleks which dispense tickets for display.
Small & different, MOH requested I replace a Bridge trophy plinth which had gone missing. Simple design for the reapplication of plaques, I stuck a number of bits of teak together, turned them and oiled the result only, no gloss black, which is usual.

Dentists usually break intra-oral fixed bridges up into manageable segments to reduce spans between abutments. A mouth is an even wetter place to place a bridge in than our garden and a three-missing-teeth gap between supporting abutment teeth is about the limit that will last any reasonable time, say a dozen to fifteen years.
Nineteen years ago I fitted by far my largest bridge in our garden spanning the narrows on our lake, some 7 meters or 22 feet. Unlike the recent donkey shelter I selected appropriate preserved timbers and to date the structure shows no deterioration anywhere.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kirbstone on Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I. Adore. That. Bridge.

Just brilliant!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
voodoomagic
Member Extraordinaire

Post by voodoomagic »

Great work Kirbstone, the plaque and the bridge is some fine woodworking skills.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Rotten weather for photography just now, but a visit from younger Son (over from the UK) prompted a recall that the 'Gravity Grand Prix' soapbox car built for his elder brother celebrated its 40th anniversary this year and it's still going strong, a favourite garden plaything among the smaller grandchildren.
Bits have been replaced of course, but the original ply body structure holds good to this day. Suspension is transverse ply leaves, steering is Ackermann geometry using a length of bicycle chain embedded in a formica-coated hardwood rack and a fixed sprocket, welded bespoke trunnions and bits of alu. television aerial. Braking is ultra hi-tech bent pipes bearing on the rear tyres operated by a standing lever in the cockpit. Spoked wheels have wheelchair hubs.

Tom
Rs Ciaran & boxcar 1985.jpg
voodoomagic
Member Extraordinaire

Post by voodoomagic »

That still looks great Kirbstone! I like how the whole car looks, and what did you use to finish the outside of the car and what kind of paint did you use?
Love it!!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi VM. The attached pic was taken about 30 years later and the colours have faded somewhat.

Naked bodywork was sanded down and filled where appropriate and as it is wood, just white primer, grey undercoat & oil based laquer paint, with colours in little tins 'for small jobs'. Masking tape was extensively used for the stripes &c. Interior was clear yacht varnished, no colour.

Using Marine Ply to specification BS1088, the stuff doesn't rot and lasts a lifetime & more.

Tom
voodoomagic
Member Extraordinaire

Post by voodoomagic »

Again amazing work! And the red flamed skirt or kilt looks great!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Great piece of work, and inspiration. I dabble in wood as I was a partner in a wooden toy manufacturing business many years ago and learned a love of wood. I think your reference to ply standard may have been what we called 'dieboard' a multilayer ply from Russia or Finland at that time, most useful in our small scale stoves, china-cabinets etc for kindergardener's role playing; saving a lot of work from our mostly Canadian maple standard. Anyway, admirations and thanks for another informative and off-subject topic that helps show all of us 'weird' folk here are really pretty ordinary, and inspiring in the range of interests and talents.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Thanks guys for your kind comments.

Here's another that's somewhat different and so far withstanding all that our outrageous Atlantic storms can throw at it. Our Kerry Bolthole treehouse was built with Air B&B customers who like to sleep standing up, in mind. :cyclops:
Surprisingly a spirit level was essential to keep track of all those crazy angles. It is set with the 'far' corner facing West, the roofline from there being hipped (streamlined!) and both gables face relatively sheltered SE & NE., as does the entrance door.

Tom
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Very nice piece of craftmanship. Quite elaborate for an outhouse. ;) Those three holes in the side gave the function away.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:14 pmHere's another that's somewhat different and so far withstanding all that our outrageous Atlantic storms can throw at it. Our Kerry Bolthole treehouse was built with Air B&B customers who like to sleep standing up, in mind. :cyclops:
The whacky angles on that almost hurt the brain. It also looks like it has a certain amount of help from a rather substantial masonry wall.

So, nothing at 90 degrees. Does anything add or subtract to 90 degrees? Note that I'm used to old houses where precisely nothing is level or plumb (inhabitants included), so the place I live in now can sometimes drive me a little bit bats because it's so blasted square. I love it, though, and it's my prison for the next three weeks.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ah yes Carl! You being a computer wallah can easily work from home. Advantage no. one.

The border wall just happens to be beside the tree and gives no support to the treehouse whatsoever. It was of course very useful to stand on while building the thing. I'll grant you that.
Right angles? The floor is horizontal and the left corner is vertical, while the eaves are horizontal. Everything else is angled.

BL, Not sure how you interpret the 'three holes'. MOH & I spent our honeymoon night in the attic bedroom of the Boulters Lock Inn near Maidenhead on the river Thames. Overlooking the lock was a little trilobed window which was very cute indeed and we have incorporated that feature into every home we have had since (Pic, top left)
After 25 years we revisited the Boulters Lock Inn and to our disappointment the Australian owners had built on a large accommodation wing and the little attic room is now used for storage only. Also, they only served fizzy Aussie lager and had no proper beer at all. We were disgusted!

Tom
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

The decorative three lobed hole is quite familiar to me. I saw it many times in Germany. When I made a stool for a friend from German heritage, I used it in the design.
PC101297qq.jpg
The Dutch outhouses I remember from the 50s had a little opening in the door, most of the time in the form of a heart. That triggered my remark when I saw your picture.