Pockets differences

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pockets differences

Post by nzfreestyler »

most of my skirts have some suggestion of false pockets. They are not stitched over to keep the skirt in order prior to sale etc... they are feature elements that are not functional. I find it fairly common on all of my fitted skirts that I buy off the peg in department stores. Dresses almost never have any pockets either.

A few years back some fuller dresses and skirts with volume in the skirt piece had pockets put in them at the waist because the pockets would not be noticeable even if they had stuff in them.

Mostly I think its because the skirt or dress won't sit well on the wearers body if there are pockets - especially more bodycon styles.

Thats why I carry a handbag. Have done for a long time - and wouldn't be without one, ever ! They are the best things.

cheers
NZF
Last edited by nzfreestyler on Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

The denim skirts I own have pockets, some moderately deep, others practically nonexistent. But, I don't use them at all, preferring to use a handbag to keep my stuff in.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

I find the pockets on my denim and cord skirts very useful for smaller item. I agree that the styling of pleated skirts doesn't lend them to having pockets. I carry a leather shoulder bag which gets stuffed with all kinds of rubbish. I fully understand women's complaints about the state of their handbags
:roll:
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I carry a shoulder bag all of the time. Most of my skirts do not have pockets except the denim ones and they are almost useless. I have two bags one a little smaller that I use when going out and the larger one that gets used about 90% of the time. It weighs a ton and requires cleaning out about once a week. I tend to be a pack rat...
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:39 pmI have two bags one a little smaller that I use when going out and the larger one that gets used about 90% of the time. It weighs a ton and requires cleaning out about once a week. I tend to be a pack rat...
That second one isn't a bag -- that's a weapon. Think blunt-force trauma delivered at the end of that long strap.

Not all skirt pockets are mere ornament. I have quite a few skirts with very useful and serviceable pockets that get a lot of wear and use.

If I'm going to carry a bag, I tend to go for smaller ones. I'm less tempted to try and jam computer hardware into them that way. Enough space for my wallet and flip-phone (remember those?) is all I need.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:23 pm If I'm going to carry a bag, I tend to go for smaller ones. I'm less tempted to try and jam computer hardware into them that way. Enough space for my wallet and flip-phone (remember those?) is all I need.
Additionally, the larger the bag, the higher the chance is that a retailer will make you leave it at the front desk when shopping, which is not something I'm willing to do.

It hasn't happened to me yet, but the first time someone suggest I leave my wallet, cash, I.D. credit cards, company cards, etc with some minimum wage teenager working a register simply because the retailer thinks I'm going to steal something, I'll just turn around and walk out.

Most stores prohibit large bags and book bags for this reason. This is why I like to keep a small bag. That way the only excuse they can pull is "because you're a guy".

But again, it hasn't happened... yet.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I wanted to try wearing a new-to-me skirt around the house today, but it lacks pockets. Here's my solution:
DSCF4307cs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

That works!!!

Jim the skirt looks great at least the part I can see..
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:39 pm That works!!!

Jim the skirt looks great at least the part I can see..
I like it. I wore it to town for the first time today and sat around for 90 minutes in the waiting room while my wife saw the eye doctor. (I had on black stockings and real shoes

The centers of the embroidered flowers are buttons, which feels a little too cutesy to me, but I feel good about the overall impression.
DSCF4309s.jpg
I got a hug from the eye doc's receptionist.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Here is a skirt on eBay that has good pockets. Sadly it is a bit long for my taste ......... and I suppose if it was much shorter, then the pockets could not be as big ....... although I have a couple of skirts where the external pockets protrude below the hem.
https://picclick.com.au/Country-Road-De ... 51969.html
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Scrub skirts have big pockets. They are made to hold stethoscope sized items. They are light weight, soft, comfortable, and inexpensive. They are often on sale and come in a lot of colors. I have several of them and have them shortened to above the knees.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:54 pmScrub skirts have big pockets. They are made to hold stethoscope sized items. They are light weight, soft, comfortable, and inexpensive. They are often on sale and come in a lot of colors. I have several of them and have them shortened to above the knees.
Where do you get them??
I have not seen any in my travels..
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:45 pm
Happy-N-Skirts wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:54 pmScrub skirts have big pockets. They are made to hold stethoscope sized items. They are light weight, soft, comfortable, and inexpensive. They are often on sale and come in a lot of colors. I have several of them and have them shortened to above the knees.
Where do you get them??
I have not seen any in my travels..
Plenty available on Ebay.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Scrub Skirts: Scrub skirts come in various styles and brands. Draw string or elastic waist. The sources that I have bought them from are Amazon, Allheart, Uniform Advantage. They cost about $20, although I have seen them on sale for less than $10 which is the reason I have so many of them. They are stealthy, which means most people don't notice them. I draw a lot less attention while wearing them as I do wearing a kilt.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:20 pm Scrub Skirts: Scrub skirts come in various styles and brands. Draw string or elastic waist. The sources that I have bought them from are Amazon, Allheart, Uniform Advantage. They cost about $20, although I have seen them on sale for less than $10 which is the reason I have so many of them. They are stealthy, which means most people don't notice them. I draw a lot less attention while wearing them as I do wearing a kilt.
The revealing factor is the surgical teal - light blue - off green color and perhaps white (if not recently blood stained LOL !) .
If near a hospital or clinic it is not unusual to see medical staff attired out on the street between breaks lunch coffee.
Some even go to and from the work place that way. As long as sterile conditions are not compromised it is no big deal.

They walk among us and not even a second glance - business as usual.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !