Wearing high heels

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Wearing high heels

Post by nzfreestyler »

Just curious how many of us wear high heels?

I am almost exclusively in heels - apart from sports.
My preference for a high heel has grown over time as my confidence in freestyle fashions has grown. And they now just feel normal, to the extent that it doesn't feel right without a heel.

cheers
NZF
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wearing high heels

Post by oldsalt1 »

I think heels make skirts and dresses look so much better

I am a little heavy so I stick to the clunkier type heels.

I spent a day walking around NYC including subways commuter trains in boots with a 3 inch heel.
Hope
Distinguished Member

Post by Hope »

I'm wearing heels as soon as I can, especially but not only with skirts. I love the feeling and the gesture it's implies.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

No, I have no interest in high heels. I'm short, but being short doesn't make me feel inferior.

To me, high heels look hard to walk and unnatural, so I don't care for them on women or men. My wife thinks the same. We sometimes point out to each other how silly they look. It's fine many here have other opinions, but I don't expect to be convinced.

I like flat or a minimal heel when it's too cool or socially inappropriate to go barefoot. I have some simple homemade sandals I'll often wear in summer when I need to be shod.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I have mixed feelings about heels, for women as well as men. For myself, at 6'2" I can manage to hit my head quite enough as it is.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Having once had to walk some 3 miles in only a 2'' Cuban heel I think I've suffered enough. I don't mind wearing boots with a bit of a heel but they're definitely not made for walking.
:roll:
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

High heels in general give more curving to the legs. Especially with narrower skirts the lines are more flowing.

I did some experiments and bought various heels. I was surprised I could walk quite comfortable with a 4" heel but not for long. With 75 my ankles are not as flexible as they were. I found a 3 1/4" pump that was very comfortable to walk in and had them on a few times in the open. They even appeared in a short video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-ztTiZ ... e=youtu.be

For almost daily use, I have a 2" block heel loafer that is accepted by my wife, but only just. The higher heels I only wear outside my circle. Those higher heels are still a secret.

I started wearing skirts with the idea to keep a masculine profile. But I also like to expand my field now I'm more experienced with skirts. Heels, even moderate, are adding some spice to the overall experience.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I have worn Cuban heels so long they are just everyday footwear along with a few flats.
If I'm in "heels" you are looking at >2" to as much as 4" in the heel with a skirt, any length, or palazzo pants that require a tall heel to keep them off the floor, about half of the heels are in fact stiletto heels.
steamman

Post by steamman »

I love wearing high heels (i've them on and off nearly 20 years before I discovered skirts!) and for me, they really complete the look of a skirt. So much so, that a lot of the time when I wear skirts, I will gravitate towards high heels. I find that wearing heels gives me not only a height boost, but also a confidence boost, and the combination of them with a skirt is intoxicatingly good! Because I am a very experienced heel wearer, I only tend to wear very high heels (4 to 6 inch, the latter with platforms) to get the sensation and the feeling of wearing them. A couple of inches feel like flats to me! It's also the look too , and I like the fact that they give the illusion of making my feet small. I don't tend to wear pumps, I much prefer boots and the support they give. I've recently discovered wedges, and they are nice and easy to wear, but it has to be said there is nothing like the experience of wearing stilettos. However, heels take a LOT of practice and they aren't for everybody. I figure that because I am already "breaking the so called rules" by wearing a skirt, I might as well wear heels too!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

My male-marketed shoes mostly had mild heels in the 1.25" range, so there's a starter. Back in the late '70s and very '80s I wore male-marketed shoes with 2 to 2.5" heels and at the time I was called upon to wear trainers for "phys ed" always felt like I was going to fall over backwards. Heels of any magnitude went pretty much unobtainum in the mid '80s and aside from urban-cowboy boots have stayed so.

My female-marketed shoes range from 2" block heels (I detest the look of spikes, even on women) to 3" espadrille wedges. I function just fine in these and can even get to a run for short distances (very few things can drive me into a run; I prefer out-thinking the problem before flight is required [0]). As an experiment several years ago, I actually pressed forward into a run whilst wearing an ankle-length skirt with a petticoat under it and was quite surprised to find that it was possible.

But, no spikes for this old boy. I can't stand the sight of 'em.

[0] I don't have to outrun the bear. All I have to do is outrun you. :twisted:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I wear all manner of heels on my outings, usually between three and four inches, and both block and spike heels, all of which go well with my skirts and dresses, and I love wearing them.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Mostly heeled boots, but I did buy my first pair of heeled strappy shoes...
Was thinking of my Tweed skirt with a beige top
bs1.jpg
bs2.jpg
but thought the tights didn't go, so am taking a leaf out of Mark's book with a smart shirt
gs1.jpg
gs2.jpg
and matching grey skirt instead. Not sure if tights with such shoes is a faux pas or not :oops: :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Hi new2skirts,

I think go bare with sandals. Sandals in my opinion - and peep toes should be worn with bare legs.

I also think a pair of beige/ivory/sandy brown coloured pumps would look awesome on your legs there....

cheers
NZF
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

nzfreestyler wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:26 am Hi new2skirts,

I think go bare with sandals. Sandals in my opinion - and peep toes should be worn with bare legs.

I also think a pair of beige/ivory/sandy brown coloured pumps would look awesome on your legs there....

cheers
NZF
Thanks for the advice, NZ! The only issue is pumps with a tiny heel is a little uncomfortable, one of the girls at work said I should have worn boots / booties as it looked a little jarring :roll: I never knew the convention with peep toed shoes or otherwise, but I feel so self conscious I might go and buy some boots at lunchtime, or at least get on eBay :P Oughtta log off now and get back to work :mrgreen:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

You could get a pump with a block heel. They are quite trendy at the moment too!
The main upside to the stiletto heels is that your shoe is so light on your feet, and if you wear heels all the time you learn that the stiletto heel style (without platforms) are nicest to wear in a lot of real-situations (like sloping pavements etc) that always present a challenge to high heel wearers.