Féminine outfit but not skirt

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Féminine outfit but not skirt

Post by phathack »

algie wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:44 pm My outfit of the day when I did some volunteering at the local food bank
It was nice to find some acceptance EFA35E08-30E3-4F57-86B5-E721E39F4E6D.jpeg
That could be me on any day I'm not working, like today.

Leggins with an oversized sweatshirt with athletic shoes was the costume of the day.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:48 amAll womens clothes are tailored big-time. I am a regular size - and (at the risk of being in trouble) - I have breasts - and I still am either too big or too small for half the tops !!!
A big part of the problem is lack of standardization. What does "Large" or "extra-large" or "2X" even mean? Not only does the size vary widely among different brands, it can even vary in the same brand among different styles.

Why would it be so terrible to simply list clothing by measurement? A 42-inch (or 106cm) waist is the same universally, no interpretation needed.
Ralph!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Ralph wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:26 am
nzfreestyler wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:48 amAll womens clothes are tailored big-time. I am a regular size - and (at the risk of being in trouble) - I have breasts - and I still am either too big or too small for half the tops !!!
A big part of the problem is lack of standardization. What does "Large" or "extra-large" or "2X" even mean? Not only does the size vary widely among different brands, it can even vary in the same brand among different styles.

Why would it be so terrible to simply list clothing by measurement? A 42-inch (or 106cm) waist is the same universally, no interpretation needed.
But Monsieur what would VANITY sizing be without a bit of mystic measurements ?
And as regards interpretation we better agree on conversion interpolation.

Granted the Asian culture has a different measurement factor i.e. an Asian 4X is equal to a USA Large plus or minus a square centimeter raised to the 2.54 power by manual method.
Beware your eBay purchases when the fine print states "Manual method may result in 2-3 cm difference" !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Hope
Distinguished Member

Post by Hope »

What do you think about shining leggins? I hesitate a lot as I feel a little bit old for that!

Also I'm straight and I am afraid it looks like a invitation for some gay fantasy!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Hope wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:07 pm Also I'm straight and I am afraid it looks like a invitation for some gay fantasy!
You need not worry.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

I don't know. I am straight and I would wear them. I wear black leggings quite often.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I live in leggings. I have so many I have lost count.

The shiniest leggings would have to be these.
Black Sequins. Looks like Spanx does not make them anymore.
Hope
Distinguished Member

Post by Hope »

Is it you on the picture? If yes, I'm quite jealous of your legs! 😉
There is similar one by Caledonia, where I try the green one.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The problem with those damn sequins is the constant litter of the little creatures every time you scrap up against something or wearing way too tight
outer wear with surface abrasion factor thus creating the same disaster as runs in hosiery.
Better would be to just wear the PH tights leggings in bright colors without the fish scaly sequins with no fancy hand laundry required !

And regarding that SPANX clothing - nothing to fit the mature male frame - sizing is for the petite twiggy frame female !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

While out and about today I saw a "Skinny" fellow walking by the road, what got my attention was the gold metallic tights he was wearing along with a brown tunic.

With the sun shining on his legs he was not hard to miss. If I had not been in rush hour traffic I would have stopped to talk to him. Wish I had been able to take a picture....
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I have a problem with the term "feminine"

What does it mean, and what are it's connotations? I'm not looking for answers here, more trying to clarify my own thinking and intentions. Most of the stuff in your first set of pictures I would not wear hope, though some would work for me without heels. I feel like I would like to dress more for physical display, but I find it difficult, without some indicators of being gay, or trans. Neither of those are an issue, but I'm not, and I'm in a way advertising, but I want to attract the right "customers"

Put another way, I don't want to project the wrong kind of "masculine" signals either. I think the problem is, that clothes are a language, and we're some of us, trying to invent a new dialect.

On the subject of leggings, I'm a big fan, and trying to figure ways of wearing them which suit my style. I particularly like high waisted ones, but they're not convenient for bathroom breaks. I wondered about something like this, https://www.spanx.com/clothing/leggings ... p-leggings and adding an elastic between the zips? I also like the shiny, or leather look, but I run into that internal resistance again, plus the growing realization that I'm not as trim as I used to be, and don't think it would look attractive. :(

On the subject of shiny leggings, any of you seen these? If I had a partner, I'd buy her a pair straight away, but I doubt I'd have the nerve to wear them myself, even though some reviews are from men. https://www.carbon38.com/product/takara-leggings So tempted to get a pair in indigo or charcoal.
MrSoapsud

Post by MrSoapsud »

partlyscot wrote:
> I have a problem with the term "feminine"
>
> What does it mean, and what are it's connotations?
> [snip]
I don't wish to engage in instructing in the art of sucking eggs, but I'd suggest "Féminine" is meant to imply items of clothing normally associated with or marketed towards the so-called fairer sex. As "Hope" is French and contributing on an English language forum, I'd also "hope" you're not criticising his English!
I'm new here so apologies if I've stepped on any toes!!
M
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

phathack wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:05 pm I live in leggings. I have so many I have lost count.

Black Sequins. Looks like Spanx does not make them anymore.
I’d wear those! They look like fun!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

partlyscot wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:43 pm I have a problem with the term "feminine"
What does it mean, and what are it's connotations? I'm not looking for answers here, more trying to clarify my own thinking and intentions.
Well, you're in a group of (primarily) men. When we hear a problem or a rhetorical question, we are hardwired to solve the problem or answer the question! :-D

In my experience, I tend to see "feminine" as applied to clothing not just to mean any and all clothing designed/marketed for women, but with decorative features that society's stereotype of "masculine" clothing avoids - ruffles, lace, bows, gathers, pleats, shades of pink (most pastels, really)... visuals that suggest emphasis on delicate or softer traits.

So... women's jeans with a women's t-shirt, not feminine. A pink blouse with a satin bow, feminine.

Obviously terms like that are loaded with broad stereotypes and outdated societal expectations of how people of each sex behave, but no matter how wrong or outdated a term may be, that's what most people think of when you say it's "a feminine outfit".
Ralph!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

phathack wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:05 pmI live in leggings. I have so many I have lost count.
Every time I see "leggings" (and their cousins "yoga pants" I automatically think, "'80s fashion victim." Face it, the things are not attractive in the least -- at least to this set of eyes -- as (1) most of the human species does not have the body-type that looks good in them and (2) that they produce a very hard break in the line of the leg at the point where they end. Nope, not attractive in the least.
Gah! Where's the beach for my brain?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!