Pockets differences

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pockets differences

Post by oldsalt1 »

RADER wrote:I wear a Jean Skirt every day at home. It has pockets like a pair of men' Jeans, but is a skirt.
I wish I could go out side wearing this in the open. Sadly that is just not the correct thing to do now.
rader
Tonight when it is dark out get in your car go 3 towns over to a self service gas/petrol station fill up its a start.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I just carry a bag, phone, wallet and car keys. When I'm in a skirt or leggings and I don't have pockets. My latest buy was a pair of leggings with pockets on each leg so I can leave the bag at home.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I have found it very convenient to stuff soft cloth bags into jacket pockets. That way I don't have to carry a bag until I actually purchase something.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

My wife and I were out shopping yesterday and I got some nice compliments. "I like your outfit." "Nice Skirt." Very nice encouragement wearing a kilt. It was actually a plaid skirt with pleats. Most people don't know the difference or don't care. I have bought three brands of kilts and they didn't suit my needs or taste. I wanted above the knee and light weight.

Another hint is to find a straight skirt and shorten it to above the knee and no one will think it's a skirt. They will think you are wearing shorts. I have been face to face with people who didn't notice until I told them. Two times it was sales associates. One asked me what type of skirt I was looking for and I replied, "like this one." I was explaining that I wanted a stretch fabric "like this." Both had pleasant surprised expressions.

My first outdoor skirt experiences were on hiking trails in national or state parks and nature preserves. Visitors are intelligent and nearly all of them are from long distances from you. I carry a camera and a lot of people ask me to take pictures of them with their camera. They are looking into the lens from a few feet away and don't notice what I am wearing.

Have some fun.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:26 pm One asked me what type of skirt I was looking for and I replied, "like this one." I was explaining that I wanted a stretch fabric "like this." Both had pleasant surprised expressions.
Exactly what I have done, the advantage of wearing a skirt when buying them.
Happy-N-Skirts wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:26 pmMy first outdoor skirt experiences were on hiking trails in national or state parks and nature preserves. Visitors are intelligent and nearly all of them are from long distances from you.
Yes, bigoted rednecks don't usually frequent hiking trails so probably a good place to start.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

For newbies

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I was walking on a nature trail in a national park exhibit and I saw a man and his wife walking in the opposite direction and noticed that he was wearing a skirt. I commented to him by saying, I'll bet you have a high I.Q. He looked astonished and I said "I could tell by what you are wearing." He acted very self conscious and I said he was wearing the same thing I was. That broke the ice and he began telling me all of the benefits of walking and hiking in a skirt. He said they were from Canada and I told him I would not have noticed his apparel except that is what I wear. He said he didn't notice me until I showed him. His wife was very supportive.

For newbies: For your first ventures outside of your house wearing a skirt. Wear a denim skirt. They are very stealthy. They are all over the Internet. Start with Amazon.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Here’s an odd one. I purchased a corduroy skirt a few years back, was annoyed at the lack of pockets. I was checking eBay for the same style (different color) and the seller was demonstrating it had pockets. I’m like, what the heck?

Turns out the mfg sewed pockets - but sewed them shut for some inexplicable reason. Maybe to make the skirt more flat? Regardless, I immediately went and removed the stitching! I was always perplexed at the two pocket-like slashes in it, never for the life of me would I have imagined they designed it this way.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:08 pmHere’s an odd one. I purchased a corduroy skirt a few years back, was annoyed at the lack of pockets. I was checking eBay for the same style (different color) and the seller was demonstrating it had pockets. I’m like, what the heck?
Pockets are frequently lightly stitched shut on garments to prevent them from opening up and distorting whilst on hangers on racks or during shipping. Normally these are easily recognisable, but one needs to be aware of the practise. Many of the waistcoats I have arrive do so with the pockets basted shut. (At least for that I was duly warned by the description of the item.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:51 pm
Coder wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:08 pmHere’s an odd one. I purchased a corduroy skirt a few years back, was annoyed at the lack of pockets. I was checking eBay for the same style (different color) and the seller was demonstrating it had pockets. I’m like, what the heck?
Pockets are frequently lightly stitched shut on garments to prevent them from opening up and distorting whilst on hangers on racks or during shipping. Normally these are easily recognisable, but one needs to be aware of the practise. Many of the waistcoats I have arrive do so with the pockets basted shut. (At least for that I was duly warned by the description of the item.)
Ah! I've seen it with pleats before, but never a pocket. The stitching was tight like a regular straight stitch (ie, 3mm spacing), so I wonder if they just had a mfg glitch?

I'll have to keep this in mind - it makes me think another skirt of mine might have pockets within!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:21 pmI'll have to keep this in mind - it makes me think another skirt of mine might have pockets within!
Turn the skirt inside-out and check to be sure. Some "pockets" are quite possibly entirely false.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:37 pm
Coder wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:21 pmI'll have to keep this in mind - it makes me think another skirt of mine might have pockets within!
Turn the skirt inside-out and check to be sure. Some "pockets" are quite possibly entirely false.
Yep! Good suggestion - it would be kind of sad to cut an opening to find out there isn't a pocket below.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

A lot of nicer clothes like suits come with some pockets stocked shut. I think it helps them keep everything lined up during construction, and possible makes it last better while worn. Anyway, it's kind of like the big X stitch in the back slit of some skirts, that you just take out while you are removing tags.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

It is nice to discover a false fake pocket; one that turns out to be real with the removal of a bit of stitching. There is nothing more useless than a fake pocket, even if just for the style; to make a skirt look more practical than it is. Don't start me on fake zips ...........
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Don't start me on fake zips ...........

But didn't you mean FAUX FLY - a zipperless fly ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

r.m.anderson wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:57 pm Don't start me on fake zips ...........

But didn't you mean FAUX FLY - a zipperless fly ?
I think he meant the abomination that are fake pockets with a zipper, where it looks like it is a pocket, but either is non-functional (zipper won't unzip) or partially functional (zipper unzips, solid fabric behind). The most you could store is a toothpick. They also put zippers in random places. On a shirt I saw - below the breast pocket openings were non-functional zippers. So - they were functional pockets with decorative zippers on the face of the pocket.