A weird tech idea

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

A weird tech idea

Post by Jim »

crfriend wrote:No pantaloons, but I do have a pair of petti-pants I occasionally wear if a skirt needs fluffing out and I don't feel like hauling out one of the big petticoats.
I noticed how nice a skirt flares out when I'm standing over a heating vent. Could one invent a low-power, low noise, portable device built into a skirt?
DSCF4261cs.jpg
(Just my nightgown as an illustration, but it conveys the idea.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A weird tech idea

Post by moonshadow »

How would you power it?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

This gives me an idea for a fabric that is light sensitive and creates electricity. Technology today is not far off from being able to produce something like this. I think this would be advantageous in that one could charge a cell phone or other device without anything other than the clothes they were wearing.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:33 pm How would you power it?
A battery recharged by my movement, of course. :D No, I'm not proficient in designing such things.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Or you could wear a slip!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:07 am Or you could wear a slip!
The slips I have don't make a skirt balloon out. A slip with hoops?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:59 amThe slips I have don't make a skirt balloon out. A slip with hoops?
Dave is thinking of petticoats which do add volume to skirts. Some petticoats have hoops, most don't.

See "Tales From the Brotherhood of the Hoop" for some laughs on the matter.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Fans on the footwear would be hard on the ankles if they came in contact. The skirt could be inflated, with a membrane near the hem, elasticised leg holes and a good diet of cabbage.
Freedomforall wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:02 pm This gives me an idea for a fabric that is light sensitive and creates electricity. Technology today is not far off from being able to produce something like this. I think this would be advantageous in that one could charge a cell phone or other device without anything other than the clothes they were wearing.
I have owned garments like that, emitting a loud crack from a high voltage spark when disrobing.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

Regarding the construction of a 'skirt ventilator', my thoughts are as follows:-

The airflow is provided by a powered respirator belt pack unit
The air is taken through a type of hoop underskirt construction, possibly in skeleton format and made from sil nylon or similar. Small PVC tubing is also possible, but probably too rigid.
The bottom hem is a complete circle, closed up to be a pipe, with a series of holes to allow the air to flow up inside the skirt.

The only difficulty I see in this, apart from the trial and error of the ventilation holes, is the potential noise from the belt pack.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

trainspotter48 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:49 pm Regarding the construction of a 'skirt ventilator', my thoughts are as follows:-

The airflow is provided by a powered respirator belt pack unit
The air is taken through a type of hoop underskirt construction, possibly in skeleton format and made from sil nylon or similar. Small PVC tubing is also possible, but probably too rigid.
The bottom hem is a complete circle, closed up to be a pipe, with a series of holes to allow the air to flow up inside the skirt.

The only difficulty I see in this, apart from the trial and error of the ventilation holes, is the potential noise from the belt pack.
Convincing a doctor of your medical need for a portable ventilator could be tricky :lol: I guess the batteries could be stored by the wearer in some sort of backpack? Only hovercraft should have inflatable skirts... :mrgreen:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

The pumps make a noise, and have you seen the price of the batteries? I don't fancy spending £250 per battery just to prevent a flat skirt!

This is getting silly, I suppose you could have an inflatable skeleton/frame inside the skirt, just use a sparklet to blow it up when volume is required (like a mini version of those tents with a pump up frame), or go the whole way- see below, very silly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE5k6TPbMRs
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Big and Bashful wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:59 pm The pumps make a noise, and have you seen the price of the batteries? I don't fancy spending £250 per battery just to prevent a flat skirt!

This is getting silly, I suppose you could have an inflatable skeleton/frame inside the skirt, just use a sparklet to blow it up when volume is required (like a mini version of those tents with a pump up frame), or go the whole way- see below, very silly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE5k6TPbMRs
That's fun. Of course it's getting silly. I need that at the moment.