kilt skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
kiltedterry

kilt skirt

Post by kiltedterry »

Hi all,
This is just an update to my earlier posts about pushing the kilt/skirt envelope.
As well as now owning several kilt skirts (ie women's kilts, one shortish, one longish), I have made myself a kilt/skirt that has a length of 31" which when worn towards the hips rather than the natural waist hangs 2" to 3" below the knee. As yet I have had no comments regarding its length. It keeps my knees warm, but as its made from thin PV material I intend to buy a cotton half-slip to wear underneath it. I really must get a picture of me wearing this kilt skirt.
I now aim to make a kilt/skirt that is 34" in length which I intend to wear at the waist (at which it will hang 2" to 3" below the knee), but of course it may well slip towards the hips so it could hang as much as 5" to 6" below the knee. It will be interesting to see what reactions I receive to the longer length.
Seasons greetings and a skirted new year to you all.
Terry
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: kilt skirt

Post by r.m.anderson »

Make the wrap skirt waist closing in adjustable Velcro and/or strong elastic and that failing a belt with the skirt having belt loops.
Oh one more last extreme braces (USA suspenders) .
That waist fitting can be unruly at times.
Whatever you don't want to have a case of "London britches (kilted-skirt) falling down off the hips " in a revealing expose' !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

RMA,
I notice that your avatar tartan has predominantly mid to darkish blue with the rust. Looking up an Anderson tartan at the Scottishkiltshop.com they offer a rather attractive version using very light blue with the rust.

They also offer almost hidden slash pockets which would be a boon to non-sporran wearers. On a sailing tip on the Baltic with my old Shantychor friends I frequently wore a MacKenzie tartan kilt with belt only. I had to ask a friend to carry my wallet for me, though.
I've ordered one of these Anderson tartan kilts with pockets, so that little problem will be solved and I'm due to go sailing there again next year.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
kiltedterry

Post by kiltedterry »

RMA- I sure don't want the skirt to fall off. I have used poppers for fastening one and on the other leather straps/buckles like a kilt. Neither will just fall off, but both could do with a little tweaking to make the waist tighter; an extra popper and re-positioning the straps/and or buckles will do it...when I get time!
Kirbstone- the issue of pockets or absence thereof:- I have never worn a sporran. When I first started going out and about in a kilt I took with me a leather manbag; eventually I ditched the manbag- it was rather too bulky. Pockets are only an issue for me when its warm enough to go out without a coat; I usually rely on MOH to carry the car key and wallet. I'm actually not that keen on pockets myself, but each to his own! For my lightweight PV kilts I have sewn a pocket big enough for my car fob onto the kilts on the RHS hip just by the over apron, which is really useful.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

A recent addition to my short kilts wardrobe:
A SportKilt Ultra Mini-Kilt in Coast Guard tartan:
Second photo shows the little pocket between the aprons - white cloth placed under to better define it:
DSC07853 (100x75).jpg
DSC07854 (100x75).jpg

One certainly does not need a spooran or other accessory bag when tossing the caber or hammer about the field.
I don't think this is what was considered when composing the nutcracker musical suite LOL !

Mele Kalikimaka - Hau'oli Makahiki Hou
Hawaiian Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

And the same to you fellow SkirtCafe member.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !