Buying through Poshmark?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Buying through Poshmark?

Post by denimini »

Has anyone here had experience with Poshmark. A lot of skirts listed on Poshmark come up in searches and some seem very cheap. Myself being in Australia, I would have to get sent through my forwarding service which adds cost. There are styles there I don't come across in Australia.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Buying through Poshmark?

Post by Kilted_John »

The only stuff I've done with Poshmark is ship items for my sister, who's a member there. If I remember correctly, it's a women's only site, possibly even women's only when it comes to membership. So, it might be best to find a woman who's willing to do the purchasing for you and give her the money necessary to pay for your items and to have them shipped.

Might be easier to use the US eBay site and log in with your username and password. I've done that on international eBay sites and - surprise, surprise - my US account works on the international site. So, maybe find something you like on the Poshmark site, then search for it on eBay. If it pops up, then buy it.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well KJ, on the UK site there is a men's section and there's no mention of it just being for women although the site does seem marketed that way. So maybe not just for women any longer. Just looking at the skirts there are an awful lot of very small sizes even down to 0. But there are a lot of good looking merchandise on there and with a name like mine an alter-ego called Denise could be useful should I wish to join. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Dennis,

Maybe it has changed over the past year or two. I probably won't join, though - no need to create more consternation in the family.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Kilted_John wrote:If I remember correctly, it's a women's only site, possibly even women's only when it comes to membership. So, it might be best to find a woman who's willing to do the purchasing for you and give her the money necessary to pay for your items and to have them shipped.
Not sure how I feel about that. Any business where I have to proxy through someone else on account as something silly as gender doesn't deserve my hard earned money.

That being said, on looking the site up, I can't find anything to prohibit men from joining, however I haven't actually tried it, having no desire to purchase anything at this time, and not really want to get on another mailing list.

But then again, if it's all online anyway, seems to me you could simply say you're a woman if you really wanted to. Plus, what about men who want to buy something for their wives/girlfriends? Still, it would be a violation of my principles.

However in Anthony's case, in their terms of service it indicates the service is available only to the U.S. and it's territories. Sorry- but at least it's better to be denied on account of territory rather than ownership of a penis.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote: However in Anthony's case, in their terms of service it indicates the service is available only to the U.S. and it's territories. Sorry- but at least it's better to be denied on account of territory rather than ownership of a penis.
Yes, I tried and failed, I was prepared to ship through a US forwarding agent. Then I thought I would be smart and try registering through a VPN with a US server but my cover was blown by then. Never mind, there is eBay.
There was a gender button for male or female but never got far enough to find out if certain links disappeared, I doubt that though.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

denimini wrote:...There was a gender button for male or female but never got far enough to find out if certain links disappeared, I doubt that though.
It is made very difficult to explain to people that gender isn't determined by sex when websites, the media and even medical publications constantly get it wrong. Male and female are sex, not gender; if they really want to know your gender they must offer 'masculine' and 'feminine' (and possibly a lot of other alternatives too).
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

pelmut wrote:
denimini wrote:...There was a gender button for male or female but never got far enough to find out if certain links disappeared, I doubt that though.
It is made very difficult to explain to people that gender isn't determined by sex when websites, the media and even medical publications constantly get it wrong. Male and female are sex, not gender; if they really want to know your gender they must offer 'masculine' and 'feminine' (and possibly a lot of other alternatives too).
I think they wanted to know gender as the Oxford Dictionary definition of gender "the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones)".
Sex buttons would be suitable for a medical facility to know if a Pap smear or a prostate check is appropriate.
Quite a good document here: https://www.ag.gov.au/Publications/Docu ... Gender.PDF
I don't know why businesses they need to know a lot of these things. Better to just have one button: O Person
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote:I don't know why businesses they need to know a lot of these things. Better to just have one button: O Person
I can think of one good reason to keep the sections separate: It keeps the guys who always buy drab uniform from having to sift through reams for frippery to find jeans and t-shirts!

OK, make that two: It helps enforce the segregation of the sexes -- important in certain backwards religions like Puritanism. :twisted: :mrgreen:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I realize this is an old thread, but I've been buying from Poshmark on/off for a year or so now, in my own name. Overall I've had good experiences, returned just a few items (for example, one skirt had a cut through it, was also mis-tagged). It has given me enough confidence again to even *think* about starting to go out in public with a skirt. Specifically, one of the things poshers do is wrap their goods up in fancy packaging - usually tissue paper, ribbon, along with a personal note, etc.. I think it is pointless (I'm a guy, and sometimes practical)... but I often wonder what the seller thinks. To add to this, quite often the notes go something like, "[MY NAME], Hope you enjoy the skirt". I worry just a little bit what they are thinking of when they write "enjoy", but at the same time I hope it changes their thoughts a little.
deserttinker

Post by deserttinker »

Coder wrote:
> I worry just a little bit
> what they are thinking of when they write "enjoy", but at the
> same time I hope it changes their thoughts a little.
Having worked retail, and having sold on eBay, they’re only thinking “Yes! Another one sold!”
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

I've been buying through Poshmark for years with no problems. I really like to browse and then give an offer that is considerably lower than the offer price (I remember only twice that I was refused without at least a counter, most times they accept) I don't see that I am profiled as male of female. I think the question is based on helping the auto search tools. Since I am a male that wears a women's size 14 skirt, I put Female Size 14. From what I can see it doesn't matter to the sellers who you are, as long as you are willing to buy.

The only warning I have, is, Girls size 14 is not the same as woman's size 14. I always check the lie flat measure for waist and length as I don't trust what they say the size is. I bought one that said 18.5 inches and "Woman" size 14 (I figured double the lie flat, so OK) but it was actually 18.5" Waist, obviously for a young girl. Returns are no problems if it is an incorrect number or description.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

lazerr wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:09 pm I've been buying through Poshmark for years with no problems. I really like to browse and then give an offer that is considerably lower than the offer price (I remember only twice that I was refused without at least a counter, most times they accept)
I'm a bit more cautious - I was blocked once for giving too low an offer (really???).

Always check eBay/Mercari/depop/Thredup as many sellers crosslist, and Posh charges a 20% fee - meaning you might be able to get a better discount elsewhere. I also will add a single item (or items) to a bundle, and just wait - I've even bought expensive fashion watches for a fraction of their normal selling price, as sellers will continue to discount (ie, ceramic brand name watch for $10). Sellers can keep making offers, reduced or free shipping. It's gotten quite expensive nowadays since they upped the shipping fee and added tax.