You must be mad

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

You must be mad

Post by rivegauche »

I was in a Highland town yesterday in very cold weather. I went into one of my favourite boutiques and though the usual owner was not there she was happy for me to try on dresses. I bought a dress and a skirt, then she noticed that I was no longer wearing the trousers I had on when I came in, but a short black skirt and tights. She observed that it was freezing out there and then told me I must be mad to dress like that in these temperatures. She then said "You must be Scottish" meaning I would be used to it. This is not the reason our American friends in skirts are assumed to be Scottish (their skirt is perceived as a kilt). At no point in this encounter was my gender an issue - this was purely about anyone choosing a short skirt in such weather. As it should be, in other words.

I went on to some other shops and got no reaction at all.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: You must be mad

Post by Sinned »

With appropriate legwear - thick tights, leggings, the length of the skirt becomes almost immaterial in all but the lowest temperatures. The addition of an underskirt, slip or other undergarment can increase thermal insulation.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Sinned wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:54 pm With appropriate legwear - thick tights, leggings, the length of the skirt becomes almost immaterial in all but the lowest temperatures. The addition of an underskirt, slip or other undergarment can increase thermal insulation.
Ya leggings and tights - knee length hem or better with insulating slips or liners !

With the introduction of the 'WINDCHILL FACTOR' you haven't witnessed a knee knocking COLD !
Talk about FLASH FROZEN !

The legs can take a great deal more cold punishment than other limbs and body pieces and parts.
Single loss of heat occurs mostly on the head (bald beware - prime cold drainage).
Fingers and toes these digits really hurt when frosted to the core.

Take care Global Warming is not really in full swing YET !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Sinned wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:54 pm With appropriate legwear - thick tights, leggings, the length of the skirt becomes almost immaterial in all but the lowest temperatures. The addition of an underskirt, slip or other undergarment can increase thermal insulation.
Agreed. I recently wore a 15 inch mini with 200 denier tights on a blustery day when temps struggled to crack the low 30’s and felt perfectly warm and comfortable, so it’s no big deal.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.