skirted member of Parlement in Portugal

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: skirted member of Parlement in Portugal

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:49 pmLeft.... right... this is pants talk (trouser talk for you Brits)
You're right about it being pants (in the other UK meaning)!

English is one of the few languages where the simple phrase, "Pants are pants." can have several meanings. :twisted:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Pants to me is underwear as in underpants. I know that underpants are the knickers that you wear under pants but pants over here are trousers so should they be undertrousers? Gee, do we have to speak in English, or is it American?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Gusto10 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:37 pm Interesting, as most times the press is depicted as progressive/left-wing, contradictory with their earnings.
I've noted that the left thinks of the press as right-wing, while the right thinks of the press as left-wing. Maybe they are actually more moderate or neutral?
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Gusto10 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:37 pm ... most times the press is depicted as progressive/left-wing...
The British press, left-wing? The Times? The ToryTelegraph? The Daily Mail? The Shun? The Express? Hahahahahahaha what planet are you on?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:30 pmPants to me is underwear as in underpants. I know that underpants are the knickers that you wear under pants but pants over here are trousers so should they be undertrousers? Gee, do we have to speak in English, or is it American?
UK English, US English, and OZ English are all welcome here, and the more the better!

The thrust behind my multi-partite joke was that in UK English "pants" in slang means "completely inane" (unless I am working from outdated sources -- which is entirely possible). The confusion that's generated from all different meanings is what gives the matter its humour value. (E.g. "Trousers are inane.")
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:30 pm Pants to me is underwear as in underpants. I know that underpants are the knickers that you wear under pants but pants over here are trousers so should they be undertrousers? Gee, do we have to speak in English, or is it American?
Underpants... undertrousers...

I don't...

... understand! :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

skirtyscot wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:22 pm
Gusto10 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:37 pm ... most times the press is depicted as progressive/left-wing...
The British press, left-wing? The Times? The ToryTelegraph? The Daily Mail? The Shun? The Express? Hahahahahahaha what planet are you on?
The same planet as you :D . But I live on the continent, which I believe would be, according to the people in the UK, always in the fog. So my opinion might be blurred by the fog.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

The Liberal Democrats are not the third party. They are the fourth, and have been since the previous election. When the Scots vote for parties that are clear about wanting a referendum on independence, then win rather more decisively than the Bounder Boris, and he says no, we no longer live in a democracy. I see trouble ahead, and lots of people with kilts in the streets with banners. I don't know why the more assertive independence crusaders have adopted kilts - the SNP politicians hardly ever take to them.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The Lib-Dems are certainly a minority party and always have been and I take your point. As for devolution, well, I suppose that brethren north of the border will eventually get their second referendum and if they do vote to leave the family then good luck to them. They shouldn't also make the decision to go back into Europe lightly and if they do then they really do deserve what they get. Maybe it would be good for them as an independent country but I would have to be convinced. The border may be a problem again and border checkpoints would be a disappointment. I'm not really a fan of a United States of Europe - trading block, yes, but single entity, no.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.