skirted member of Parlement in Portugal

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

skirted member of Parlement in Portugal

Post by Gusto10 »

https://www.courrierinternational.com/a ... timentaire

New parlement member in Portugal arrived in skirt. I guess that the colour of his socks was the cause of the discussion.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: skirted member of Parlement in Portugal

Post by crfriend »

Brilliant! Now that's traction -- and no adolescent schoolboys required.

I toughed the article out in the original French for a paragraph or two (mainly to see if I still could) then resorted to the on-line "translators" (which miss quite a bit of nuance).

The Attaché sees no problem with things, and I hope he just gets on with Parliamentary business, so attired, without a fuss. I rather like the shot of him with his new boss. 'Tis a good look -- save for those socks.

In short, BRAVO!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Add a bit more to the hem and it would resemble a priestly cleric garment sans the roman collar and that would take care of the green colored sox.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

https://twitter.com/jfelixcardoso/statu ... 64/photo/1 is further down the article, and it looks more like tights than socks!
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Eddie Izzard is about to enter politics. He has said he would attend Parliament in a skirt - he would wear the type of clothes women MPs were wearing. Unfortunately I don't think he is standing in this election.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

rivegauche wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:37 am Eddie Izzard is about to enter politics. He has said he would attend Parliament in a skirt - he would wear the type of clothes women MPs were wearing. Unfortunately I don't think he is standing in this election.
A very interesting outcome it was the election in the UK.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It should have been foreseen. The exit polls certainly did with a degree of accuracy. Corbyn was labelled toxic because of past associations with terrorist organisations, anti-semitism flourishing in his party, his extremely left wing Marxist views, his manifesto promulgating nationalisation, vast spending and some frivolities. Oh, and a great number of supporters of his party said that they wouldn't vote Labour whilst he was their leader. And I know quite a few of these. Swinson nailed the colours of her party to the "We'll stop Brexit whatever" and "when I become Prime Minister" which, while commendable for her valour, both were doomed to failure[0]. She lost her seat. Johnson had the demeanor of a leader even if not all of his actions during the run-up were commendable. In the end what decided everything was the anti-Corbyn feeling as thousands upon thousands switched their vote, sometimes extremely unwillingly, to the Tories. A typical comment was, "I've been a miner, voted Labour all my life but just couldn't bring myself to vote for him. Also because he moved the party to sort of anti-Brexit I just wanted Brexit finished and over with and voting Labour wouldn't achieve that." At the moment Labour are in denial and blame the loss of 59 MP's on Brexit alone. Even though lots of ex-MP's and ex-senior Labour members say that toxic Corbyn was more than a minor factor. That he hasn't as yet resigned his position says a lot.

Oh well, what happened happened. The people have spoken. Interestingly, as they analysed the results the Tory share of the votes was only up by a couple of points but the Labour share was down around 7 points and sometimes vastly more. The extreme was 25%. Many traditionally working class blue collar Labour constituencies went from red to blue.

[0] Her party, the Liberal Democrats are the third minor party. Her stance in wanting to cancel Brexit would have made it undemocratic because she would have been disregarding the will of a valid referendum.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

In my opinion, that's a good succinct, unbiassed summary of what happened.

I had anticipated a certain amount of nauseating triumphalism in Johnson's first speech after being elected, but his apparently genuine thanks to the Labour voters who "loaned" their votes to the Conservatives in order to get the job done was a complete and welcome surprise to me.  He is showing signs of transitioning from Politician to Statesman.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

pelmut wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:41 am He is showing signs of transitioning from Politician to Statesman.
The proof of that pudding will be in the eating.
No more politics.
Steve.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:39 am
pelmut wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:41 am He is showing signs of transitioning from Politician to Statesman.
He's already had a go at that. The Foreign Secretary should be a statesman, but Johnson was generally reckoned to have been the worst one we've had for a long time.

When Jeremy Corbyn was elected Labour leader, I thought "Michael Foot Mark II". When Labour go left, they lose badly. He is, of course, nowhere near as bad as our vile right-wing press say, but that's their job, isn't it? Lying for the benefit of the Tories and their rich pals. The genius of the Right (and not just in the UK) is in repeatedly persuading ordinary people to vote for parties and policies which will not benefit them. Labour made it easier than usual this time by keeping a leader who had already lost once. In 2017, up against a terrible Tory leader at the head of a divided party when the country was in political turmoil, Labour lost. But all they did was congratulate themselves on doing better than expected. Labour MPs tried to get rid of Corbyn, but the foolish party members naïvely voted him back in.

We wouldn't have had this election, if the opposition had had their heads screwed on. Johnson made so many enemies. He threw 20 MPs out of his party. He shat on the DUP. The opposition should have booted him out when they had the chance, they would have won a motion of No Confidence. But they were too busy arguing among themselves. All they had to do was to put up with each other for a year or so, but they couldn't stomach it. Chief culprit there is no longer an MP, just desserts for her.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Onyhoo, back on topic, I found an article in English. https://www.portugalresident.com/livre- ... n-a-skirt/
Turns out, according to that, that the skirt was just a means of winding up the old codgers in charge. If we are to believe that, we can't expect to see the man in a skirt again. A pity, I thought it looked rather good.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:38 am[... B]ack on topic, I found an article in English. https://www.portugalresident.com/livre- ... n-a-skirt/

Turns out, according to that, that the skirt was just a means of winding up the old codgers in charge. If we are to believe that, we can't expect to see the man in a skirt again. A pity, I thought it looked rather good.
I saw nothing in that which indicated that Mr. Pereira would forgo wearing skirts in the future, and if the act was geared specifically for "winding up the old codgers in charge" (always a good idea in my book) I'd be tempted to keep it right up. Sometimes things need to be shaken, not stirred.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

skirtyscot wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:32 am
STEVIE wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:39 am
When Labour go left, they lose badly. He is, of course, nowhere near as bad as our vile right-wing press say, but that's their job, isn't it? Lying for the benefit of the Tories and their rich pals..
Interesting, as most times the press is depicted as progressive/left-wing, contradictory with their earnings.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well, thank you pelmut, a compliment indeed, I try to report as I see it and not let my left/right leanings get in the way. The result is what it is. The Tories were only up a couple of points but Labour down very badly, 25% in one case so I suppose that you could say they lost it, not the Tories won it. Corbyn and Momentum ( the leadership group dictating policy at the moment ) are far tooooooo left-wing for most traditional Labour voters ( at least the ones I know and deal with ) and I think that that's a factor in their loss. I know many, many Labour supporters that have said that they couldn't vote Labour while Corbyn was the leader so I am speaking from experience. Despite the SNP's protestations Scotland is unlikely to get a referendum vote before we collectively leave Europe so if and when any devolution happens Scotland will have to decide whether they want to rejoin Europe. Not an easy decision as AFAIAA that will mean joining the Euro and the Scottish economy may not favour that. Some difficult choices in the future so good luck to all our Northern brethren in that. Not my area of expertise so I will leave that to others who know better.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Left.... right... this is pants talk (trouser talk for you Brits)

Skirts don't have a left or a right, they go around both legs.

Pants divide...

Skirts unite!

Mr Congressman, why are you wearing a skirt?

"To unite the right leg with the left one and get stuff done!" :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.