Nightwish

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Nightwish

Post by Gusto10 »

Even tough I'm not a fan of metal music, I do want to bring to your attention this Finnish group and even more their lead singer Floor Jansen who has a superb voice:
Here with another singer doing the duet The Phantom of the Opera
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plCScjv ... Z8vkk4gsWE

Listen to the last part, both are going out full, pushing each other beyond the limit
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Nightwish

Post by Kirbstone »

Very impressive, Gusto. That girl could shatter a wine glass at 400 paces!. With that lead bloke she didn't need the heels at all. She's a big girl!

I'm a sucker for Lloyd Webber and 'Phantom' is one of my favourites.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Dang, that was good. I just listened to it a few moments, donning the headphones to make sure I heard all of it right without having to bother my housemates.

Very impressive. Both singers have pipes on them that are of enviable quality, and although the high note she hit was more of a screech than a proper note the performance was a compelling one.

I also definitely noted that the two towards the end were absolutely playing off one another, which added a bit of "edge" to the matter.

I'd also not term the piece, nor the performance, "metal"; that was just a brilliantly performed Broadway staple.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

crfriend wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:11 pm Dang, that was good. I just listened to it a few moments, donning the headphones to make sure I heard all of it right without having to bother my housemates.

Very impressive. Both singers have pipes on them that are of enviable quality, and although the high note she hit was more of a screech than a proper note the performance was a compelling one.

I also definitely noted that the two towards the end were absolutely playing off one another, which added a bit of "edge" to the matter.

I'd also not term the piece, nor the performance, "metal"; that was just a brilliantly performed Broadway staple.
The high note hit by Floor was at least on my equipment a proper note. If one compares it with other performances of her amongst others on stage with Nightwish (http://nightwish.com/en ) one can only conclude that she has perfected it.
Indeed, the Panthom is not directly a Metal Rock piece of music, but from what I gathered it's often used by Metal Rock groups. Nightwish will be doing a tour coming year, amongst other June 30 in the Arena of Nimes, a 10 minutes walk from Hiatus (https://hiatus-shop.com/fr/jupes-courte ... sport.html) of which the collection has increased.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I’m a big fan of their music. The Poet and the Pendulum, first song off Dark Passion Play, is like Lloyd Webber meets Lord of the Rings meets Metallica. It’s a terrific album. Imaginaerum is also excellent.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

There have been many great moments and songs from plays

To me the greatest was back in about 1995 somehow I had managed to get front row center seats to cats on broadway. in New York

That night I felt that LIz Calloway was singing memories to me.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I used to listen to this group regularly, good stuff. The friend who introduced me to it said that the female lead singer had no formal voice training, making what she does even more impressive.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Dust wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:31 am I used to listen to this group regularly, good stuff. The friend who introduced me to it said that the female lead singer had no formal voice training, making what she does even more impressive.
Floor Jansen visited the Rock Academy in Tilburg, the Netherlands.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I had the pleasure of attending the original production of 'Cats' at the New London Theatre in 1981 with Elaine Page as the central character. Quite extraordinarily they not only moved the stage, but the audience too and there were 'cats' everywhere.
The melodies endure.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:34 amI had the pleasure of attending the original production of 'Cats' at the New London Theatre in 1981 with Elaine Page as the central character.
I was nowhere near as fortunate as seeing it in first run, but my late ex- and I did see it at the Worcester (MA/USA) Centrum (I'm not sure what it's called now) half a lifetime ago. Magic, indeed.

Also RFC 2100 from when humour in computing was still tolerated.

My favourite piece? Skimbleshanks, the Railway Cat by far and away. "I was busy in the luggage van."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, thanks for that RFC. It has always been a delight of mine to come across such gems among the plethora of dry, technical literature. In one of my projects involving a nuclear submarine trainer I included in the documentation paragraphs from the game documentation of "The Hunt for Red October" because it said as succinctly as required what was needed to be said at that point. As I left before the project finish I can't say that those paragraphs aren't still there, but I would like to think that they are. I used to like the Unix fortune utility and had the login routine configured so that a fortune saying would be displayed. I recall such delights as "Santa Clause is Comning to Town" written in shell script:

better !pout !cry
better watchout
lpr why
santa claus < north pole >town

cat /etc/passwd >list
ncheck list
ncheck list
cat list | grep naughty >nogiftlist
cat list | grep nice >giftlist
santa claus < north pole >town

who | grep sleeping
who | grep awake
who | egrep 'bad|good'
for (goodness sake) {
be good
}

(by Frank Carey, AT&T Bell Laboratories, 1985)

BTW, I must say how proud I am of MOH. We have just changed our broadband to fibre and our supplier sent us a new router to install. Well, Wednesday came and they switched us over which meant that the old router no longer worked and we lost the internot. I was laid up in be with this viral inflexion so hadn't the energy to do anything. So she took the router, read the destructions and proceeded to install the router. Only on a minor technical point was I consulted. In fact I wasn't even aware that she was doing the installing. Now, MOH will not be offended if I describe her as administrationly illiterate. She'd never even attempted anything like this before. The minor technical issue - to show her in "Internet Options" how to search for the router name and select it for use. As I say, "Great work, girl"
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Kirbstone wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:34 am I had the pleasure of attending the original production of 'Cats' at the New London Theatre in 1981 with Elaine Page as the central character. Quite extraordinarily they not only moved the stage, but the audience too and there were 'cats' everywhere.
The melodies endure.

Tom
So the musical "soldier of Orange"which has been on for at least 7 years now, is not the first with a moving theater (360 degrees).