Skirt Do's & Don'ts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Skirt Do's & Don'ts

Post by pelmut »

As suggested by Jeff, here's a thread on things you should or shouldn't do when wearing a skirt (that wouldn't apply when wearing trousers).

1) Do remember to check that your back hem isn't tucked into your underpants before leaving a toilet cubicle.

2) Don't sit straight down on a plastic chair that has been in strong sunshine if you are wearing a very short skirt.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Skirt Do's & Don'ts

Post by crfriend »

3) Do know your skirt well and how it behaves.

4) Do experiment with different skirt styles to see which suit you -- and your sense of style -- best. Develop that sense of style.

5) Don't pick things up from the ground by bending. This avoids potential exposure -- and is better for your back.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

6) Skirt pleated or not use one or both hands to scoop material tight to the butt when beginning to sit.

7) The shorter the skirt remember to keep the knees together - even with aprons like kilts it is not all together safe.

8) Wearing skaters loose "A" line hemmed skirts avoid drafty/windy places aka "Marilyn Monroe" syndrome.

9) Know when sheer is TOO SHEER.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

10) Check your outfit before you head out of the door... make sure you have fresh tights on with no holes
b3.jpg
11) Wear your skirt at a comfortable length for you, depending on the setting. Slightly above knee is suitable for work
blouse_skirt.jpg
and that your shirt / blouse is comfortable and not too sheer. Take care to tuck in your blouse properly. One tip is to zip up your skirt properly, then tuck in the shirt tails, then lift your skirt to your waist and pull the bottom of the shirt past your skirt band. This stops unsightly bunching in the skirt either at your rear or around the tummy and creates a better silhouette :eye:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Make sure your skirt is not twisted if it has symetrical features like pockets.
Check that the hem at the back is not caught up when getting out of a car or seat.

Yes, as already mentioned; make sure your skirt is not caught up after going to a public toilet. With very short skirts, I tend to hoist them high to the point that they are inverted/inside-out so they stay up (in a cubicle - not at the urinal). It would not be a good look to forget to reposition it.

Don't place things too far forward in the back of a ute (pick-up truck) with a canopy, so that there is not too much bending and reaching to retrieve them. This was paricularly true for me when I went to get supplies the other day, towing a trailer which meant I could not lower the tail gate to crawl in. I had stacked bags, ropes and esky within easy reach from the back but an emu ran onto the road and I had to do some heavy braking so when I wanted to retrieve the items, while parked in the main street, I had to lean so far over the tail gate that my legs were literally in the air. I did a quick surveilance first for potential witnesses. I was wearing underwear ....... and it was black!
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Beware of errant emus when wearing short skirts!
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Don't step into a car one leg at a time. Back in instead and sit down into the seat whilst keeping your legs together at the knees. As you sit, it might help to hold the steering wheel with one hand and smooth the back of your skirt with the other hand. With shorter skirts, be aware that as you sit the hem of your skirt may have risen so after settling in the seat adjust it with your hands.

On hot days the car's seat cushion may have been heated by the sun so do be aware of that. :wink:

Whilst driving, I would recommend that with shorter skirts you should keep your knees close together. Drivers of taller vehicles can often look down into lower cars especially at junctions when they pull alongside.

When getting out of the car, do swivel in the seat and swing both legs out close together not one at a time.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I get into the car one leg at a time and have never had any problems with exposure. I get out the same way. My car is high enough that it is easy to do.
As for pulling the hem down while driving, in the summer I show a lot of leg by pulling the skirt up so that I get the full force of the AC. I do not worry about Lorrie drivers looking down at my legs :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Like Fred, I don't worry about it. Only open the door enough to provide easy ingress/egress. I also typically don't park on a street, instead in a lot, that way I can have another vehicle next to me.

Granted, I'm not driving a vehicle with suicide front doors or a Jeep without doors, so the door does provide a barrier. I also don't wear pencil or straight skirts normally, so the skirt (or dress) does drop between the legs.

Re: pulling the skirt hem down, might be more of an issue with a convertible top vehicle, and if you're wearing a mini.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I suppose different guys will need different approaches. When skirted I realized I need to enter an automobile butt-first and swing legs in, rather than stepping in as trousered men tend to do. The conventional foot-first method can and has, for me, resulted in unintended exposures. But I’m 6’3” and settling into a low-riding car puts my knees at an upward angle. I prefer my F150 (4wd, high chassis) so I can enter without thinking about it.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:18 pmWhen skirted I realized I need to enter an automobile butt-first and swing legs in, rather than stepping in as trousered men tend to do.
Entirely contrary to popular perception, this tactic has never worked for me. It may be the fabric seats in my cars or perhaps my general geometry, but I find that no matter how hard I try I cannot execute the "sit-and-spin" operation without everything getting out of kilter once planted and facing forward. I imagine with leather seats it's likely easier but have precious little experience with those as I hate how hot they get in the summer after baking in the sun for some hours.

My general tactic is to open the door, use it as a baffle, get both legs close to the car, put one in, try to get reasonably straight, then pull the other leg in making sure my skirt is all the way in as well.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

My ten cents for what its worth

1. Do wear a skirt style that suits your physique.
  • narrow waist and bigger hips - you can wear a pencil or a bodycon style thats tight on your butt
  • solid build - pleats or a circle skirt with volume is best
  • straight and skinny - a-line skirts - or a skater/circle skirt will be fine.
2. Do wear a hem line that suits your physique.
  • everyone can wear a knee length skirt - it suits all physiques and is universally flattering
  • longer hemlines - suit a heavier top half (try to maintain a balance)
  • above knee hems - are best for slender legs
  • very short minis - requires slender thighs
3. Do wear the appropriate underwear/panties.
  • colours can show through so be mindful and check!
  • make sure to wear minimal coverage panties if wearing a shorter skirt (nothing looks worse than a glimpse of bike shorts/full briefs under a mini.
  • pantylines do show - so wear g strings or thongs!
  • wear underwear/panties you are proud of
4. Don't wear hosiery with any imperfections.
  • no ladders or nicks
  • (tip : carry clear nail polish (top coat) and apply a drop to your stockings if you see a snag beginning.
  • Always carry spare hosiery if you can't go bare legged in the event of a hosiery malfunction
5. Don't wear sheer hosiery with any leg hair.
  • If wearing non opaque hosiery (say 20 denier or less) then shave or wax those legs
6. Don't wear hosiery that is a richer/deeper tone than your skirt/dress and shoes.
  • Hosiery should be a lighter colour than your skirt or dress and shoes. eg. neutral hosiery is better than black with denim skirt. Sheer black hosiery is ok with a black skirt and black shoes. Sheer black hosiery with white shoes is not good.
7. Don't be afraid to show off your legs
  • wax or shave your pins, or IPL etc . Be smooth.
  • exfoliate daily and moisturise to get a super smooth even skin tone on your full legs
  • if wearing a shorter miniskirt you should have your bikini line hairless and smooth too (ie hips/butt and any hair in your nether regions gone (unless you want a landing strip).
  • If your outfit is accentuating your legs then they'd better be perfect!
8.Do wear bright coloured skirts.
  • Consider making your skirt the centerpiece of your outfit. (eg a red skirt with back top)
9. Don't worry about flashing your underwear/panties (in a short skirt).
  • follow the rules above and don't worry about it happening.
  • it is unavoidable in everyday situations - it happens - just accept it. half the time you won't know it happened.
10. Do sit down backwards into a car set
  • sit down backwards into a car set, then lift your knees and swivel your feet up and into the car.
  • yes I suppose you could flash your underwear, but what other choice is there
  • In many skirts you cannot lift a leg up enough or get your knees far enough apart to put one leg into a car first
11. Don't bend forward to pick something up
  • squat by standing beside the object, knees together, bending at the knees. It becomes quite natural.
  • (its also very easy to do in high heels
12. Don't sit on rough leather/vinyl chairs in cafes in sheer stockings
  • you can get ladders in stockings very easily from rough leather stitching or cracked vinyls
13. Don't forget wearing a short miniskirt with bare legs means your bare butt has to sit on public seats
  • you are wearing a minimal coverage panty so there's nothing under your hem to sit on...
  • summer means hot seats
  • public seats on buses etc....might want to sit on something first.
14.Don't put stuff in your skirt pockets
  • some skirts have pockets but they are mainly for decoration
  • putting stuff (even keys) in pockets will alter the shape and curveyness of your skirt
  • consider a handbag.
15.Don't go up stairs directly ahead of a bunch of guys if you are in a miniskirt
  • unless you want to show them how long your legs really are.
  • just make sure you are a good way ahead and hold your hem tight under your butt so you can feel it the back of your thighs.
16.Don't run away to avoid an embarrassing situation. Just pretend you don't care.
  • eg your skirt is blowing around crossing a city street
  • this definitely applies when you're wearing high heels.
17.Don't let your skirt blow up in the wind if you know of a risk.
  • I often use my spare hard to roll my skirt hem up on one hip so that the skirt is pulled in tight
18.Don't forget to twirl if your skirt lifts in the wind and your hands are already full.
  • I twirl in a circular fashion when you feel your skirt lifting - especially if you have no free hand to grab it.
  • This can be done while walking along the footpath etc - twirl in the direction you're walking - just go on tip toes and twirl
  • For those of us in high heels - this also works easily in heels
19.Don't run away to avoid an embarrassing situation. Just pretend you don't care.
  • eg your skirt is blowing around crossing a city street
20. Do consider wearing high heels.
  • your posture will be better and if wearing a fitted skirt your butt will look rounder.
  • the challenges of a high heel shoe and a skirt are so similar and they compliment each other it is a natural pairing.

4. Own your look and Rock It !
  • confidence is the key.
  • from experience running from/attempting to avoid a situation will be harder than owning it and going head on into it.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

pelmut wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:21 pm As suggested by Jeff, here's a thread on things you should or shouldn't do when wearing a skirt (that wouldn't apply when wearing trousers).

1) Do remember to check that your back hem isn't tucked into your underpants before leaving a toilet cubicle.

2) Don't sit straight down on a plastic chair that has been in strong sunshine if you are wearing a very short skirt.
I like the intended idea of this thread, but I'm slightly confused by those who have decided to take it as an opportunity to tell others how they should dress.....on a forum that is about breaking fashion rules. Excuse me whilst I ignore your advice on what I should wear and do my own thing. The idea that people need to be told not to go out in tights with holes is surely demeaning to someone's intelligence not to mention an attempt at restricting their freedom of choice. If I want to go out in ripped tights I will.

My contribution is this: check the weather before you go out in a short flimsy skirt. I have been caught out by blustery weather and had to walk along the street with my hands firmly holding my skirt in place. Not the most comfortable or fashionable way to walk.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

SkirtsDad wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:23 am
I like the intended idea of this thread, but I'm slightly confused by those who have decided to take it as an opportunity to tell others how they should dress.....on a forum that is about breaking fashion rules. Excuse me whilst I ignore your advice on what I should wear and do my own thing. The idea that people need to be told not to go out in tights with holes is surely demeaning to someone's intelligence not to mention an attempt at restricting their freedom of choice. If I want to go out in ripped tights I will.

My contribution is this: check the weather before you go out in a short flimsy skirt. I have been caught out by blustery weather and had to walk along the street with my hands firmly holding my skirt in place. Not the most comfortable or fashionable way to walk.

Philosophically-wise a very good point.I hadn't thought about it like that and I agree with your sentiment. I wouldn't wish to be construed as 'telling' others how to go about stuff - I have my own quirky ways, as I am sure most people who are honest about themselves do too.

NZF
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Something about don't skirt off more than you can show/expose with aplomb ! LOL !

Will you make TV - national news - headlines - front page - full facebook - other ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !