Gender issues in an old Rosanne episode from the early 90s.

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Gender issues in an old Rosanne episode from the early 90s.

Post by moonshadow »

Recently I purchased a box set of all the Roseanne episodes (the original series). Last night I watched a Halloween episode where the young boy D.J. wanted to be a witch for Halloween, complete with broom stick and all.

As the story goes Dan (the father) is embarrassed and won't let the child around Dan's friends, even going to far as to scold Roseanne for encouraging the practice.

"Roseanne, isn't two daughters enough?"

To which Roseanne responds,

"Well Dan, Darlene was a pirate for three years and you didn't have a problem with that." (Paraphrased)

Darlene is a tomboy of the show, at least in the early years.

The story continues on, along with the usual sitcom antics one would expect. The end of the show has Dan finally accepting that fact that his only son wants to be a witch for Halloween and goes so far as the buy him another broom.

Pretty mild by today's standards, but certainly ahead of its time in the early 90s

It provides further evidence that gender questioning isn't "a new thing" whipped up by todays "confused kids". Extra points for Roseanne calling out the double standard with regards to Darlenes tomboyish behavior.

I suppose an alternative answer to Dan's question about "two daughters being enough", she could have grinned and said,

"Yeah, Becky and D.J." Thus leaving Darlene out of the equation.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Gender issues in an old Rosanne episode from the early 90s.

Post by Sinned »

I note that David Walliam's book "The Boy in a dress" has been turned into a stage show. There already is a film on it. Maybe the message is ( VERY ) slowly getting out there. Sometimes deeply ingrained perceptions can take time to change, like trying to stop a runaway train. :(
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Sinned wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:45 pm I note that David Walliam's book "The Boy in a dress" has been turned into a stage show. There already is a film on it. Maybe the message is ( VERY ) slowly getting out there. Sometimes deeply ingrained perceptions can take time to change, like trying to stop a runaway train. :(
It's getting out there, there's sections of society who don't give a rat's ass about gender norms and clothing - not sure who this guitarist is
92d69f4e99ccf915daeb518c5e1e318e.jpg
but I like his skirt!

We may see more men in skirts protesting against not being able to wear shorts, such a thing never would have happened before, a lot of employers now shrug their shoulders and say if you want to wear a skirt, go ahead... so slowly opinions are changing 8)
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Interesting - a movie circa 1999 "THE DRESS CODE" about a boy wearing a dress

LINK:

http://www.movies.com/dress-code/details/m60513
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I tried to look up this film on IMDB.com[0] but ended up with the title - BRUNO.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123003/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
a film directed by Shirley MacLaine.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:

[0] IMDB = Internet Movie Data Base
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:59 pmI tried to look up this film on IMDB.com[0] but ended up with the title - BRUNO. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123003/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0 a film directed by Shirley MacLaine.
It's the same film, the title likely changed based on the region it was being shown in. This is common cinematic practise.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

New2skirts - I linked to that photo in another thread. At the time I wrote it was Christopher Owens of Girls.

From the same thread, I really like this one -

And this one isn't bad either