Storage of skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Storage of skirts

Post by denimini »

I was wondering how people store their skirts, particularly when there is many to store.
I own an embarrassing quantity of mini skirts (after many bouts of aesthetic cleansing) and have stored them in stacks in shelves, folded in half like I used to fold my shorts, along the centre.
I have a problem with skirts that are not a tight fit and a stiff material (like denim); when I bend forwards moderately the hem at the back sticks out like a verandah ....... with the door and windows visible beneath.
Do I really need 10 metres of hanging space? At least with hanging one can pick out a skirt without alot of unstacking.
I have now started storing these sort of skirts flat, unfolded in shelves and will see if it makes a difference.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Storage of skirts

Post by oldsalt1 »

Solved the problem with skirt hangers you can get them on amazon or any other source each hanger holds 4 skirts you can have a particular color or style of skirt on each hanger.

With the hangers you can put about 20 skirts in a foot of storage space about 60 skirts in a meter
Scan_20191130 (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

That's impressive. 60 Sk/M sounds good as I would only need 3 metres.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I read that more than once as shortage of skirts.
There certainly are not alot in the stores that's For sure. The only abundances of skirts seems to be second hand shops. And at that they are a minority in those shops.

If I wasn't forced to be a underground skirter.
I have a decent amount of shelf space, so I would probably stack them flat.
I have a few I hang up hidden, cause. Know they would get wrinkles and creases.(velvet, and pleated skirts)

Space is probably the factor for most of us. There is no wrong way to store a skirt.

Note they take up less space than pants in most cases.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

"Nice SKits" Leather and other nice materials get hung in the closet on Skirt hangers the rest of the skits are folded and stacked in a dresser drawer.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I hung an old piece of antenna pipe in the basement, and that's where I store my longer midi skirts, dresses, and my nicer tops and blouses. I'm probably using about six feet of pipe.

I also have a drawer upstairs for my shorter skirts, and finally an drawer for my "womens" tee shirts and sleeveless shirts.

Then there is a drawer under that for the tee shirts I wear under my work shirts.

The closet is now just for my work uniforms, a pair of jeans, some nice dress pants, and a pair of bibs.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I hang mine, hangers from Amazon. One problem is the longer skirts, when my cats see I have the wardrobe open they run in and start climbing up skirts, entertaining but annoying! The one dress I bought is a problem, too long to hang, I suppose I could fold it and give it some shelf space, is that a good idea? Currently it is draped over my bedroom door! can you tell I have no wife?
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Opposite my bedroom there is a closet. A long (two closets wide) 1" gaspipe was the main hanger for my clothes. Behind that there was a PVC pipe of 1" not in use because it was difficult get there. In my bedroom there is also a 1" pipe for the clothes.
When I started, I was hiding the skirts in big plastic bags. When I got to wearing kilts, I put them in my bedroom closet. When I started with skirts in the open, the amount of it was slowly but steadily growing. The kilts and skirts went into the large closet. When the long pipe was "full" I stored all skirts on the unused PVC pipe in the back. At a certain moment the PVC pipe started to sag. A few weeks back I bought a galvanized 1" gaspipe, made it to length and replaced the PVC pipe. I think I have about 2' of pipe space left if I press the clothes to one side. I'm afraid I have to remodel that closet.
P1010569q.jpg
The labels indicate the length of the skirts and the skirts are from short (28 cm) at the left to long (54 cm) at the right. About 15 skirts should yet be labelled and moved from the front to the back.

I also have a lot of the more summery skirts in drawers. The mini skirts are just as long as the drawers are deep, ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

In my space in the house I dwell in I have two closets, one shallow and wide and another that's deep, narrow, and mostly short as it's underneath a staircase. My "primary" closet is in my bedroom, and is tall enough for me to --just -- hang my long dress (and its companion jumpsuit) and to hold a season's worth of skirts that get worn commonly. The other closet gets the skirts that are "out of season" (i.e. too light, too short, or both for the current weather). With this arrangement I seem to be doing reasonably well, although it does occasionally hinder access to some of my technical library which shares closet space with the "out-of-season" skirts.

I'm a singleton again, and will likely remain one for the rest of my days, so the wifely bits do not apply to me.

I like the dual-rail notion, but neither of my closets would lend themselves to such a notion.

And, yes, the number of skirts requiring hangers is getting to be a problem, hence the expansion into the hall closet...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

In my domestic situation, for skirts &c, storage means hiding. The luxury of hanging them up for ease of access is denied me and concealment is the name of the game.
Fortunately these days MOH needs to be careful of her sports-injured knees and she will not venture into anywhere that requires kneeling. In the apex loft of our barn high above my torture chamber/gymnasium there is a large floored space with limited headroom accessible by removable ladder where I keep a couple of boxes of stuff.
It's also where I store two large boxes of Christmas decorations and just today I had to go up there and fetch them down. This allowed me to check that my treasure trove had not been discovered/disturbed.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I never thought about the covert storage of skirts. Sounds like an extra challenge in itself.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

My Utilikilts and the like get hung in my closet, but I'm running out of space. I got a few more off of eBay recently, and need more good hangers. The extra long 4 clip jobs are the best, I get them from "real" kilt suppliers. I have some with two kilts on each hanger. The regular skirt hangers can only handle one each, and they need to be folded in thirds instead of just in half. The ones on regular skirt hangers end up taking up more space in terms of inches on the rod.

My running skirts just get folded, same as my running shorts. Other skirts either get folded or hung based on how much I care about creases, what the material is, and length. Short skirts use up inches of hanging space, but don't take up much room in a drawer.

My wife uses the tiered skirt hangers to save space, but has to pull them out of the closet onto the bed to add more skirts. She has a lot of long, flowy skirts.

Another good option for storing skirts/kilts is to roll them up. I do this with kilts when I travel. Fold to the width you want, then roll from the top. They don't get creases the same way, and pack fairly small. I may start doing this more for storage of some of my not as nice kilts to save closet space.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

denimini wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:01 pm That's impressive. 60 Sk/M sounds good as I would only need 3 metres.
There should be 178 mini-skirts here. Each section is 60cm wide, so that's 3m of skirts, i.e. the same as you probably require. My other skirts, that are generally less susceptible to creasing, are stacked on shelves or in a drawer.
rails1ac.jpg
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

How do you find anything?

John
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Finding things is not a problem as I am usually creating a look rather than looking for something specific that I know I have, therefore I am looking for colours, textures etc. Btw, that's actually well less than half my wardrobe and I do sometimes forget I have something until I rediscover it whilst looking for something completely different.