For those that have tried nail polish and found it too difficult to DIY

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

For those that have tried nail polish and found it too difficult to DIY

Post by FranTastic444 »

I've been experimenting with nail polish with some pretty poor results. I either seem to miss big chunks of my nail or I end up with it all over my skin. As an aside, I managed to get some polish on my favourite skirt - ruined :-(

I've just come across Fairy Garden by Pop-arrazi. Unlike the solid colors, this slight metallic goes on really thin - almost like topcoat. It is very forgiving if you get things wrong. It took 3 coats (4 might have been better) but I'm very happy with the results.

So, if you have tried DIY nail varnish and have not been happy with the results, I suggest you give this a try. Only a couple of bucks from CVS. Go on, you know you want to :-)

Here
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Re: For those that have tried nail polish and found it too difficult to DIY

Post by phathack »

I just get a Mani/Pedi and have the girl put on the polish.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

A little fashion tip if you want to put nail varnish on just before going out.... put your coat on first!

In the past I used to get ready, paint my nail then ruin them trying to put a coat on without smudging them.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I haven' tried colored polish but I put on clear There are many fast dry polishes. You need a manicure

Going back to the early 80's when I worked as a controller for a major ad agency I always had a manicure and clear polish. I try to give my self a manicure but the results just aren't the same
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

A while ago I used nail polish and I got the polish on fine. However I hate any kind of chips and it turned out to be too much of a hassle to touch up my nails.

John
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

I just get MOH to do them, only toes though. No fingernails left lol....
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I used to go to the spa for a mani-pedi with polish. (0) I really liked the color of OPI Coney Island Cotton Candy. It is almost transparent so I would get three coats on my toes and one coat on my fingers. In the summer I always wore sandals so my toes were always in view and no one noticed.
Today I have color only on my left little finger and it is OPI Tutti Frutti Tonga and it is very noticeable. But I have had no comments from anyone. :D

(0) It became too expensive to keep doing even at one visit a month. It was draining my resources.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I polish my toenails, but my hands are in too many solvents to maintain fingernail polish. Gasoline and diesel fuel does a number on nail polish. I like to do my toenails outside in sunshine as I can see better in full sun what I am doing. Not flexible enough in my old age to access my toes with ease any more.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

I only use it to lock small screws etc. into place.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Gusto10 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:15 pm I only use it to lock small screws etc. into place.
Does that work? Good to know if it does for when I misplace the thread locker...
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Dust wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:23 am
Gusto10 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:15 pm I only use it to lock small screws etc. into place.
Does that work? Good to know if it does for when I misplace the thread locker...
My father started off life as a mechanic and he always used nail varnish to lock screws. Many times I've done the same. Yes, it does work.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Most types of varnish will lock a thread, but the oil-based types take a long time to dry.  The old shellac-based varnishes were fairly quick-drying because they used alcohol as a solvent; a lot of British military-grade electronic equipment had the screws locked with shellac.  Nail varnish is the fastest-drying of all because the solvents (Acetone, Ethyl Acetate etc) are extremely volatile.

Shellac varnishes can be softened to allow adjustment or removal by warming the fastener with a soldering iron or blowlamp, but some nail varnishes contain Cellulose Nitrate which decomposes with heat and releases Cyanide, Carbon Monoxide and Hydrogen.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I think the trick with painting your nails is a thin base coat first (clear) - especially if using darker polishes it protects your nail from discolouration). Then apply quite thin coats of the colour you want. Allow to fully dry before applying a clear top coat polish. Again allow to dry completely. Done in this fashion with thin layers you can achieve a high quality finish.

Nut I still cheat and get my pedi done at the salon (only in summer) cause I don't wear peep toes or sandals in winter.

cheers
NZF