Yesterday at the V. A.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Yesterday at the V. A.

Post by PatJ »

Yesterday at the V. A. Hospital and Clinics in Madison, WI a I was walking in, a man was leaving the in house Pharmacy wearing a kilt (skirt?) and heading toward the exit. There happened to be two women (one who didn't look a day over 95 and using a walker and her daughter) walking in directly in front of me. The daughter said to her mother, "I wonder why he is wearing a skirt?" The mother then came to a dead stop in the busy hallway almost causing me to walk into her back, and started explaining where she wanted to go in the clinics.

The said "skirt" was black in color and pleated in the back giving me the impression it was some kind of utility kilt, and the man past me by so quickly that I didn't have time to say "I, yes or no" before he was lost in the crowd and the poor daughter was left with her question unanswered.

Do people notice a skirted (kilted) man? Yes, but usually their reaction time is so slow that we never get to hear or see it before we are long gone and out of ear shot lost somewhere in the crowd.

However, if it was someone from this board - congratulations on your daring and you looked just fine and not out of place.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Yesterday at the V. A.

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I have not worn shorts or trousers for over a week. I received a faux sued mini skirt in the mail and it fits and looks perfect. We wife and I went out to dinner last night, I was traveling yesterday to some photography shoots and stopped at a truck stop and a highway rest stop along the way. Our weather was sunny and 77 f yesterday, but is cooler today and we are expecting rain on Thanksgiving. I will wear a skirt for Thanksgiving, but won't when we visit relatives over the weekend. We belong to a four wheel drive club and I will wear pants to our meeting and Holiday party. I have a couple of medical appointments in the next 30 days and depending on the weather I might wear a skirt for them.

No one notices or cares as I have not had any stares, giggles, comments, questions, etc.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

It's not just oldsalt1, you have a VA too! Do military veterans in the USA get special terms on their healthcare, to the extent of having dedicated hospitals?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Do military veterans in the USA get special terms on their healthcare, to the extent of having dedicated hospitals?
Yes, The Veterans Administration Hospitals and Outpatient clinics are in cities all across the USA. Most or all of the costs are paid by the government, while some is paid by your insurance if you have any.
Prescriptions costs are based on your ability to pay, most only $5.00 American dollars for a 30 day supply.

As a matter of fact on Monday past I was at my local clinic to have the retinas of my eyes photographed as part of my diabetes checks. I was wearing an olive green shirt dress. I had to wait in the outer waiting room for about 20 minutes for the woman to finish with the patient before me.

Just prior to this I was at my diabetes doctors office across town having blood work done and had no problems there either. It has been close to 5 years now since I have worn trousers or shorts at all. So all of my doctors and all of the merchants as well as a lot of other people have seen me in a skirt or dress. I have in all of that time had only 1 or 2 nasty things said to me and that was early on, now about all I get are compliments.

So wear your skirts proudly as I do!! :cheers: :salut:

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:03 pm
Do military veterans in the USA get special terms on their healthcare, to the extent of having dedicated hospitals?
Yes, The Veterans Administration Hospitals and Outpatient clinics are in cities all across the USA. Most or all of the costs are paid by the government, while some is paid by your insurance if you have any.
Prescriptions costs are based on your ability to pay, most only $5.00 American dollars for a 30 day supply.

OK maybe you should turn your cynicism detectors on now, but is this a nifty way to encourage poor young people to enlist, given that they might otherwise struggle to afford medical care in a country where it is so notoriously and eye-wateringly expensive?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

skirtyscot wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:33 pm
Fred in Skirts wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:03 pm

OK maybe you should turn your cynicism detectors on now, but is this a nifty way to encourage poor young people to enlist, given that they might otherwise struggle to afford medical care in a country where it is so notoriously and eye-wateringly expensive?
Yes you might think so but it really doesn't work that way at all. Enlistment in the armed forces in the US is fairly steady and not at all looking like a stamped to get free or almost free health care. Right now the VA hospitals are working at 200 percent of optimum care. They are so back logged that it is quicker to go to the local emergency room and see one of their doctors than go to the VA. Most VA hospitals do not even have emergency room services. So your cynicism is not warranted at all....
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I will henceforth restrict my incredulity on healthcare matters to the UK. There's plenty to be going on, what with all those re-election bribespromises being made on all sides.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

The cost of care at the VA is also determined by your income level and to what extent the illness that they are treating you for are service connected.

I had to go to my local VA today I had an appointment with my PTSD case worker

It was a very pleasant day I got nothing but compliments on my outfit. I almost all ways wear skirts to the VA

Today was the first time that I wore a dress. I figured I would throw in a few photos
Scan_20191127 (4).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Very good,Dan. Did it get any comments at the VA?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

It was a good day for compliments. I wear skirts to the VA most of the time. so it is not a shock when I walk in . Got lots of smiles and waves hello. AsI passed the counter

The main comment came from my case worker. I go in weekly for a group PTSD session but every couple of months I meet with her privately to chat about things.

She said that she loved my outfit. than she said she can't believe that I have the guts to walk in here wearing a very short dress and boots with high i heels < and you carry It off beautifully.

after the session as I was getting ready to leave another case worker came by and said I love your boots. and that dress is terrific where did you get it.

I started to tell her than I saw her computer I asked if we can get on line she said yes then I found myself in a office with 2 woman going on line to show them where I bought my dress.

If you want to talk about a bastions of masculinity the VA clinic has to be at the top of the list I always wear skirts and now a dress and have never had a problem
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Since I went to only wearing skirts and dresses I have found that the VA is one place that I never have a problem. This for about 5 years now. Last week I went to my clinic to have the retinas of my eyes photographed and wore a dress I had to wait in the outer waiting room for about 20 minutes as she finished with another patient. There were about 15 or so others waiting to see their doctors and not one odd look or even a backwards glance.

I then went to have blood drawn for another doctor across town and no problem there either.

So "Be Happy wear your skirts every where"