New terminology related to MUG wearing?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New terminology related to MUG wearing?

Post by Grok »

In one post Ray made a reference to "barrel". This might be substituted for the awkward "skirt or dress" or "skirt/dress". The "barrel" would be the skirt or dress part of ones rig.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

When I think of a barrel in the sense of clothing, I have to think of cartoons. When somebody was too poor to buy clothes or somebody stole his clothes, he would wear a barrel instead. To give it a naughty twist, the barrel would hit a heavy object and the staves were flying around.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

What, may I humbly ask, is so wrong with the vocabulary we already have that we need to invent new and fanciful (if already extant for other meanings) words for?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

crfriend wrote:What, may I humbly ask, is so wrong with the vocabulary we already have that we need to invent new and fanciful (if already extant for other meanings) words for?
We humans just like to make our lives more complicated than they already are!

Steve.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I am re opening this thread with the possible idea of using a different and perhaps more tasteful word than the mug
for the skirt as appropriated by the trendy fashion conscious male....Someone may have some new thoughts ....

The ...Kilt.... is a traditional word for the male garment which originated in Scotland . The skirt is the traditional
garment as worn by the female in England ... there is no confusion ......
The design and construction of the two garments is entirely different........

Perhaps the skirt as worn by the male could be called a ....kirt...or a ...skit.....just a start to get the ball rolling..
The stolen female skirt could be called a ...Steel...just a strong garment to protect the male body...

Perhaps this could become a new word association game for the festive season
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

The Jupe ...The Kilt....The Sarong ...The Sulu...
are all foreign words which were imported into the " English Language "

Are we making life more difficult if we define a name for the.... skirt.... which we have stolen from the female ?

The..... skirt ....skirts around the legs and lower body of the female .....
What goes around the lower body and legs of a male or man ? ......think of the word as a cryptic crossword clue ?

The garment goes across the lower male body....
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Grok wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:30 pm In one post Ray made a reference to "barrel". This might be substituted for the awkward "skirt or dress" or "skirt/dress". The "barrel" would be the skirt or dress part of ones rig.
More word association .....The Barrel...would be the ....Key....to the...... rig....

Now it would be interesting to wear a ...Key...
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Perhaps the new word should slip neatly off the tounge after "Man in a ......"
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Perhaps we should simply stop trying to come up with new - and novel -- words for an ancient garment for which there is already a perfectly good name.

I just do not see the need for yet another made-up word in the lexicon -- and I particularly detest "M.U.G" (Men's Unbifurcated Garment) as it simply sounds phony and contrived to assuage some need to assert one's manhood. Simply having the guts to throw a skirt on in the morning and head out into the world is more than proof enough that you have what it takes, especially in the face of (largely absent) opposition.

The poor English language has had enough insults hurled at it; let's not heap more upon it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

I don't see the word skirt as feminine. I think sometimes we get too wrapped up in our own heads about what other people may be thinking. I'm basically a redneck, in a small rural redneck town, and nobody in my redneck watering hole gives a crap about what I am wearing. Sure sometimes they give me crap about it, but all in good fun. Bar banter. All I'm saying is I call my skirt a skirt, my pantyhose pantyhose, and my shoes shoes.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Mike

Seconded. They are what they are. And my kilt is a type of ski....oh, never mind :-)
jmiller842
Distinguished Member

Post by jmiller842 »

Well said Mike. Crisp, clear, to the point. 'Nuff said.

Jeff
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Mike wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:11 pm I don't see the word skirt as feminine. I think sometimes we get too wrapped up in our own heads about what other people may be thinking. I'm basically a redneck, in a small rural redneck town, and nobody in my redneck watering hole gives a crap about what I am wearing. Sure sometimes they give me crap about it, but all in good fun. Bar banter. All I'm saying is I call my skirt a skirt, my pantyhose pantyhose, and my shoes shoes.
Well said Mike ....I hope you can understand why I restarted this thread....The suggestion is that a newbie may wish
to wear a skirt but might get upset if he was asked why he was wearing a skirt...as skirts are girls clothes...
If the newbie could proudly announce that he was wearing a mans garment with a trendy name
he might get a few brownie points and get more converts to wear this male garment...

You would probably agree that our fashion style is thin on the ground . My thoughts are that if it had a nice
trendy male name we might see more men wearing our favourite garment .

I am not quite as civilised as you rednecks...I am twenty five miles from the nearest bank and I have only seen
one man in a skirt this year......The horse drawn coaches stopped running over eighty years ago
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

the words of Maurice Chevalier.....'I remember it well...'.

Just now locally they're 'celebrating' the 60th anniversary of the final closure of commercial operations on the Grand Canal in 1959. The canal connects Dublin with the Shannon system and also the Barrow navigation to Waterford. In 1959 I built a rowing boat at my family home in Monasterevin and rowed it South through all the still manned locks to the tide at St Mullins, taking one week to do it.......sixty years ago.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you Tom.....Are you talking about a dingy which can be " rowed " by one man
....or a racing skiff which one man can scull with two oars . ....I am visualising a narrow hard chine boat with a pair of out riggers .

There are a couple of boats hanging up in the gods of the National Maritime Museum at Falmouth.....Might wet your lips...
One is a ten oared Eaton College Racing Boat.....the other an Australian Surf Racing Boat ....Probably six oars.

Back in the old days , before the War , my father used to go Sea Rowing off Boscombe Beach near Bournemouth.

When there was too much surf to launch the racing boats they would train by rowing fours in a four oared clinker work boat.

To add a bit more salt to an old sea saga....Back in the swinging sixties I used to sail the surf in Weymouth bay single handed
in a 12 foot clinker sliding gunter sloop .........Rod