Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote:My house looks down on the valley where the main London-Bristol line runs, it really cheers me up on occasions to look out of the back bedroom window and spot a plume of steam making its way along the valley or hear a distant whistle as an excursion returns during the evening.
I'll bet!

'Round here, steam is about as extinct as extinct gets, and I think the only ones running may be the Cog Railway at Mt. Washington and a few random (and captive) private ones.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

crfriend wrote:
pelmut wrote:My house looks down on the valley where the main London-Bristol line runs, it really cheers me up on occasions to look out of the back bedroom window and spot a plume of steam making its way along the valley or hear a distant whistle as an excursion returns during the evening.
I'll bet!

'Round here, steam is about as extinct as extinct gets, and I think the only ones running may be the Cog Railway at Mt. Washington and a few random (and captive) private ones.
a few random (and captive) private ones

Such as my Lifetime membership in this organization:

https://261.com/

***** Note the British Steam Tour coming up in May 6 to the 15 2020
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

Yesterday I was at my local beer serving establishment, wearing a hoodie and a cargo skirt a little above the knee, black pantyhose. I'm pretty much a regular there, everyone knows me. Anyway, a couple came in that I didn't know and they were looking for a seat at the bar. I told them I could scoot down one, (one empty stool on either side of me) making room for them to sit together. They happily accepted. I spun around got out of my stool, and into the other one. The lady exclaims, "My gosh, you're wearing shorts! It's too cold for that!," as she was sitting down next to me. I said, "Well the tights help." She said, "Oh I didn't even notice," looking down at my legs. (There is a rope light under the bar, very well lit) Then I asked their names, etc, and chatted with them for the rest of the time they were there. I never did correct her and tell her it was a skirt, it was plain to see. I just wonder if she was too scared to say skirt?
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Mike wrote:Yesterday I was at my local beer serving establishment, wearing a hoodie and a cargo skirt a little above the knee, black pantyhose. I'm pretty much a regular there, everyone knows me. Anyway, a couple came in that I didn't know and they were looking for a seat at the bar. I told them I could scoot down one, (one empty stool on either side of me) making room for them to sit together. They happily accepted. I spun around got out of my stool, and into the other one. The lady exclaims, "My gosh, you're wearing shorts! It's too cold for that!," as she was sitting down next to me. I said, "Well the tights help." She said, "Oh I didn't even notice," looking down at my legs. (There is a rope light under the bar, very well lit) Then I asked their names, etc, and chatted with them for the rest of the time they were there. I never did correct her and tell her it was a skirt, it was plain to see. I just wonder if she was too scared to say skirt?
I think that some people don't know what to call a skirt on a male in case of insult and thus say shorts or kilt. I visited friends and one had not seen me in a skirt before and after about 2 hours he said
"What's with the shorts, are they some european thing?"
"It's a skirt"
"Oh, I can see that, where did you get it"
"It is just an ordinary mini skirt"
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

johnb wrote:
As requested. No selfies were taken on the day, so I the skirt shot was taken later. The skirt does crease very easily.

John
Nice outfit. I wouldn't worry about anyone looking at you with that sort of engineering excellence around ........ no offence intended.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I missed a spectacle a couple of weeks ago, where 2 steam locos were sitting next to the Waitrose store in Helensburgh, I was told they were sitting waiting to head tup to Fort William where there is a steam special/ service run to Mallaig, through spectacular scenery. Having just checked the website, the Jacobite Special s run between April and October, so the steamers must have been heading back to Winter maintenance/storage or trips elsewhere. I remember being on my mooring in the Gareloch as one coasted down the line heading East, no chuffing as it was heading down a grade, but a whole lot of clanking from the coupling rods etc.. Interesting noises to hear! I have to admit that a rail related noise I really miss from when I lived on that side of our peninsula was the thunderous growl from the old loco hauled diesel trains, both cargo and passenger, that used to pass heading North. Something about the growl of a Class 37 working hard, echoing around the hills, was amazing and I still miss it. There are some old 37's running in Scotland, but where I live I don't see or hear them. The new Class 66 locos and others just don't make a proper noise! Damned Americal 2 stroke diesels! give me a dirty, noisy, unreliable 1950's English Electric loco anyday! A great noise!
Here is some British Rail "clag" starting with a nice clip of a couple of Class 37s heading off. The surging isn't the driver pumping the throttle, it is just what these locos do. Must be a governer thing I suppose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPSxicSaHzc
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I was out for my weekly photography hike in a national park. I was walking through one of the park exhibits and saw a lady sitting on a bench. I always say hello to people I "cross paths" with while hiking. She returned the greeting and I asked her where she was from. She replied she was from Alaska. We began talking about places we had been and how we decided to visit Joshua Tree National Park. My reason is simple, I live close to it and have a senior citizen's pass. We discussed wildlife photography and I said I had some of my pictures with me and went back to my vehicle to get them. I had been to Alaska and have pictures of bears, moose, wolves, Dahl sheep, bison, whales, swans, etc. The park visitors are from all over the world and interesting to talk to. I like to talk with people, but don't want to impose on them.

I asked her if she had any questions regarding my skirt. I was wearing an olive drab golf skirt. She told me that lots of men wear skirts in Alaska for hiking, casual wear, and dances. She was wearing a similar skirt although it was more of an A line style. I told her mine had been a skort but I removed the inner shorts, so she asked me why. I was blunt in saying it makes it easier to pee and to change in and out of. If modesty is an issue I wear black underwear which is not as noticeable. It was enlightening to me that more men are wearing skirts where she lives and I look forward to the day when that acceptance spreads to where we live.

It began to rain, so we both returned to the parking lot and drove away in opposite directions. I got some photos of foxes and lots of ground squirrels.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

A lovely evening here in Tiskilwa, so my wife and son joined me for a walk to and along the Hennepin Canal. Beautiful lighting so I snapped a bunch of pictures. Here are a few.
DSCF4052s.JPG
DSCF4054s.JPG
DSCF4057s.JPG
DSCF4059s.JPG
On our way back, we were greeted by a primary school age girl we'd seen on other walks. She told me she liked my shoes, and we had a little more chit-chat. As we were walking away, she must have become bolder and caught up to me and asked, "Can I ask you a question?"
"Sure."
"Why do you wear skirts."
"I like them. They're more comfortable. You don't have to worry about whether you are a boy or a girl when you wear them anymore."
"Yeah, I know."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

All very serene except the photo-bomber in the first shot.

Nice chat with a girl with her head screwed on the right way!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

I'd arranged to meet Mrs C at the local supermarket, and was waiting for her to arrive when a woman came up to me.
"Excuse me for asking, but why are you wearing a skirt?" (ankle-length A-line denim).
"Because I like wearing skirts"
She said she'd worn trousers ever since being raped, I guess back in the 1960s (she said she was in her 70s) and would love to wear a skirt again before 'leaving this planet'.
She said she thought she'd seen me at the Glastonbury Festival (BIG rock festival in Somerset), along with some other guys. "Not me" says I, but nice to know there's others out there.
We agreed they are lovely to wear, especially in the summer and I added, while folk dancing, for the swirl which I love to do.
She said I was bold to wear a skirt and that she wished more men would wear them.
Hopefully I've inspired her to go and get a skirt. And I can imagine the conversation with her friends - "I met a man wearing a skirt today...."
A very pleasant encounter :D
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Charlie wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:59 pm I'd arranged to meet Mrs C at the local supermarket, and was waiting for her to arrive when a woman came up to me.
"Excuse me for asking, but why are you wearing a skirt?" (ankle-length A-line denim).
"Because I like wearing skirts"
She said she'd worn trousers ever since being raped, I guess back in the 1960s (she said she was in her 70s) and would love to wear a skirt again before 'leaving this planet'.
She said she thought she'd seen me at the Glastonbury Festival (BIG rock festival in Somerset), along with some other guys. "Not me" says I, but nice to know there's others out there.
We agreed they are lovely to wear, especially in the summer and I added, while folk dancing, for the swirl which I love to do.
She said I was bold to wear a skirt and that she wished more men would wear them.
Hopefully I've inspired her to go and get a skirt. And I can imagine the conversation with her friends - "I met a man wearing a skirt today...."
A very pleasant encounter :D
Charlie
A great encounter. It really makes me wonder what stories we'd hear from women on the topic of "I stopped wearing skirts when...".
Daryl...
steamman

Post by steamman »

Today I went shopping, and wore an ankle length straight denim skirt which has a nice long slit in the back and I paired it with some new over knee wedge boots with 6 inch heels. With the long slit, I was able to subtly show my boots off and as I don't particularly like showing my hairy legs, covering them up in leather is a good plan. What was very noticeable with the skirt/boots combination was how warm my legs were in the cold weather! The other thing that amazed me was the sheer indifference of people I walked past, since wearing such a long skirt and high heels, I would have been noticed. Maybe people are finally beginning to realise that not caring what other people wear is the way to go and it certainly suits me. It's taken me a long time for me to achieve what women became comfortable with doing decades ago.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

Most people stare at their screens.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Daryl wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:30 pm A great encounter. It really makes me wonder what stories we'd hear from women on the topic of "I stopped wearing skirts when...".
I've talked to some younger women who simply never started wearing them...
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

A couple of days ago, I was singing in a concert. Not with my usual choir; I had been asked to help out with another choir. Concert attire was all black. The only person I knew was the conductor, who had invited me to sing. I was wearing my red cord mini that day, and it occurred to me that it would look good with black everything else, then a quick change into the trews for the concert. Should I or shouldn't I? Would the choir members be able to cope? Would I be forever marked down as a wierdo? Ah, who cares, I'll probably never see them again anyway. In the end, what swung it was simply that I like wearing it. Why put up with the three-hour round trip in less than total comfort? Why get changed the car in the twilight before going to the rehearsal? I'm not ashamed of wearing skirt. So the good people of Lanark got to see a man in a skirt. And about time too!

Everybody noticed, but nobody said anything,so I don't know if they cared or not!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair