It's getting COLD!

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: It's getting COLD!

Post by Kirbstone »

Our Winter has arrived a month early. Reports of snow during yesterday not many miles from here and our daytime temps some 2-4 deg. Centipede Brrrrh!

Walked my Benjy this morning in Minus 2 deg. Ear coverage and gloves mandatory. Very slippery side roads after all the rain, so walked across the local moor in wellies &c.
Saucepan of hot water required over the windscreen & o/s/ side windows before departure for work. Workplace has air-con, so warm as toast. Slippers & short sleeves there.
Zero skirts.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

You think your winter is cold. We just broke a 108 year old record!

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/l ... 176657002/
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

So much for Global Warming, FFA !

As I recall, Nashville lies quite a few miles inland away from the Sea and any maritime influence on temps. Trekking across the vast inland plains here on the Emerald Isle you will find that the town of Mountrath is furthest from the sea in all directions.......a mere 60 miles! Where I live we are just 30 miles inland, but it's our extreme altitude that does it for us.....all of 83 meters or about 260 feet.

Tom
Langlauf at 'Barretstown 83' Dec. 10..jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Oh, global warming is real enough - but climate change is a better descriptor. More extreme and unusual weather patterns are the result. Here in the UK, everything is wet. Very very wet...
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Ray wrote:Oh, global warming is real enough - but climate change is a better descriptor. More extreme and unusual weather patterns are the result. Here in the UK, everything is wet. Very very wet...
Yes. The cold snap here in much of the US is due to a warm area in the northern Pacific causing the northern jet stream to dip down here. It gets very complex!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Left Scotland on Monday morning, blowing a hoolie (Don't know how to spell it, Scottish word for erm, big winds). wet and about 7 degrees centipede. Spent most of the week in Gibraltar, very windy all week, Had a skirt and shorts with me but with the cold windy weather my off duty time was spent wearing jeans and a fleece, never had Gib. feel that cold before! Going back tot he airport it was cold, raining and very windy, at least the plane managed to land in Gib. so we didn't have to head for a Malaga flight back. Got back to Glasgow with ice on the car, I think Summer is over!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Sunny and cooler in S.W. U.K. today ,Friday , Day time temperature 15 C .....
Snow on Dartmoor ....( Near Plymouth ) ....I would not expect to see snow till March...Our height is 200 feet .
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Jim wrote:
Ray wrote:Oh, global warming is real enough - but climate change is a better descriptor. More extreme and unusual weather patterns are the result. Here in the UK, everything is wet. Very very wet...
Yes. The cold snap here in much of the US is due to a warm area in the northern Pacific causing the northern jet stream to dip down here. It gets very complex!
Jim , We get problems with the jet stream moving 500 odd miles south from Scotland ...Gives us high winds
and heavy rain in S.W.U.K. ....At present we are reasonably warm for the time of year.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Jim , Saturday weather information from U.K. Met Office indicates that your southerly dip in the jet stream is turning back towards Greenland.
Immenant irregular weather patterns in U.K. Weather Region rather depend upon future course of Jetstream .