How do I do ??? ?

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: How do I do ??? ?

Post by crfriend »

We call "locational vagueness" Selective Availability" in the USA thanks to the GPS system being run by the military and being subject to random degradation at any time. Note even my "location" which leaves much ground for speculation.

Users are free to put in whatever they wish. However, it is worth noting that when a new member registers and specifies a location I usually look up the WHOIS entry of the IP address and take that into account when deciding to accept membership or not. For instance, someone claiming to be from Topeka, KS/USA but with an IP address from Pakistan is highly likely to be ignored. Some level of truthfulness is appreciated.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Fred in Skirts wrote:...... I decided that I had nothing to hide and filled mine in with a lot more information when I joined. But I agree it makes it easier some times to understand what some are saying as they come from an area so much different from where I live. And their English may be so much better or worse than mine as well as the context they put on how they speak it.

:think: :think: :thewave: :think: :think:
I adjusted my location to explain my butchering of the English language. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I also have nothing to hide and put my location at a very early stage. I assumed that the location could be checked and I suppose that my full address could be found by consulting the electoral register or the local council tax register. Not sure that anyone here would really want that level of detail. I figured that people didn't know how to add their location but it's easy to figure out.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Carl..There is nothing to stop a resident of New England registering with a webb site when he is on
holiday in Pakistan..............
There is nothing to stop a gentleman from Pakistan moving to New England and registering with his chosen webb site .
There is nothing to stop a gentleman from Pakistan registering his new address in New England..If the gentleman
with a new address goes thirty miles down the road, buys a new computer and askes the computer shop
to register his new location with your webb site ....How accurately can you track where he lives ?

This issue came up once as it was suggested by a webb site owner that he could track a new applicant's
location far more accurately than was possible with a civillian tracking system .

A government official checked up to see how an ex defence employee could get hold of precise tracking equipment.
.................L.O.L...........
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

This issue came up because there is a cenario that two applicants in the same town could both register with our website.

Can you establish if they are both transmitting landline Emails from the same building or the same street ?
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Can a boss check if his employees are sending Emails to their favourite webb site during working hours ?
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

weeladdie18 wrote:Can a boss check if his employees are sending Emails to their favourite webb site during working hours ?
Yes :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

OK - how do I change the COLOR scheme of the web page ?

I don't find the bright blue all that appealing AND Blue is supposed to be bad on the eyes !

I would like to see a subdued gray with pitch black print.

It may very well be since I am not the Administrator I can't be the sorcerous apprentice ! LOL !

Color me old fashion if you will !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:14 pmOK - how do I change the COLOR scheme of the web page ?
So we have yet another one with an aversion to the new defaults...

Check out the most recent posts in "Software Upgrade" (or somesuch). There are now alternates to the default "prosilver" style, and those can be selected from the "User Control Panel" under "Board Preferences" and then "Board Style".

At least the forum is back on the air...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:13 pm At least the forum is back on the air...
Amen and THANKS FOR GETTING DONE!! :D :cheers: :thumleft: :hooray:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Thanks CR !

There are now alternates to the default "prosilver" style, and those can be selected from the "User Control Panel" under "Board Preferences" and then "Board Style".

Went there and selected AllanStyle SUBSILVER - perfect

And YES glad that - At least the Forum is back on the air (online) !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

How can I change the title of my thread (if possible)?
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:09 pmHow can I change the title of my thread (if possible)?
It might be possible via the "edit" function (the "pencil" icon) so long as there's not an interlock on it once it's been replied to. I do not know that I've ever tried...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I don't see any problem with putting in my location. I have never, to my knowledge, supplied my surname but even if I had, my full name is unique enough for someone malign to find my address from say, the electoral roll of this small city but then there are a lot of other ways for someone to find me using the internot than using information found here. And, like Fred, it's useful to put in context from their location what folk are saying and make allowances where grammar and spelling are not perfect. Often I struggle to determine even which country a member is resident in, never mind the city/town. Maybe I'm naive in thinking that this is a very quiet and sheltered bay in the internot coastline ( Carl may disagree with this impression ) that the truly malicious just pass us by with little torrid interrogation.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I do not care if people see the area where I live. Since I wear skirts and dresses every day and every where I go. Most people around here know that I do not wear pants (bifurcated garments). My farce book front page is a picture of myself and Moon and Jenn that was taken on a fun weekend in Aiken SC, part of my stomping grounds. Those that mean so much to me all have no problem with my dress code. Anyone who does can just get over it or eat sh*t and die as we used to say. At 78 years old there is nothing that can be used to blackmail me anyway, Ive done it all and then some. (0)
So unless you are running from the law, don't sweat the small sh*t, enjoy your life, dress anyway you feel like.

(0) I have not committed murder nor robbed any banks....... :lol: :lol:

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.