Veterans Day

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Veterans Day

Post by beachlion »

This morning I hoisted the American flag in our back yard. When I entered the home, my wife said I was a veteran too. I did not agree with her so I checked the Internet.

According to the Dutch rules, you are a veteran when you served in a conflict or war, or was a member of a peace-keeping force. I was drafted into the Royal Dutch Air Force and served for two year, most of that in West-Germany with the Nike-Hercules rocket batteries. So I'm not a veteran in the eyes of the Dutch military and I don't feel or deserve it to be a veteran.

It seems the American definition is a little broader. I'm not sure if the Americans see a drafted and an enlisted soldier in the same way. So I could be considered a veteran if I were an American, I think if I read the definition of the va.org correctly. I would not dream of it because real veterans have done so much more to keep us safe.

The most dangerous thing during my service was the 200 mile drive home and back once a month when on leave. One time a bullet missed me by 4" when a room mate forgot to unload his UZI SMG when he came off watch and dropped the gun on a table. That still makes me not a veteran. ;)
P8090006q.jpg
I kept the 9 mm bullet to this day with my dog tags.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Veterans Day

Post by Fred in Skirts »

To all who have served in the Armed Forces
thankyou.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I thought this was a deep and thoughtful video from a youtuber that I follow...

https://youtu.be/JNm0NRWTgPc

I figured I'd post it here rather than start a new thread.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Interesting video Thankyou for your effort
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

According to Wikipedia:

The most common usage is for former armed services personnel. A veteran is one who has served in the armed forces, especially one who has served in combat. The National Guard and Reserve is included. It is especially applied to those who served for an entire career, usually of 20 years or more, but may be applied for someone who has only served one tour of duty. A common misconception is that only those who have served in combat or those who have retired from active duty can be called military veterans.

So it would be OK in the USA for any person who has performed a duty in service to the country to be called a Veteran ?
Whether they served in a combat zone - behind the lines support - 6 months to 20 plus years active duty - enlisted or drafted ?
Traditionally a Veteran is probably viewed as a career soldier who has seen combat ?

"Thank You for your service" !

Mine was 50+ years ago
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

RM is correct anyone who served in the military is considered a veteran . Usually an individual will only claim he or she is a veteran if they received an honorable discharge from the service.

There are many veterans organizations. Membership in these various organizations is usually where the type of service is distinguished.

The American Legion is the catch all in that anyone who served and was honorably discharged is accepted.

Type of service in the other organizations is usually expressed in the name. Such as VVA Vietnam Veterans of America DAV Disabled American Veterans.

and of course the VFW Veterans of Foreign Wars. In this organization being in actual combat is not a requirement (although many members were) presence in a designated War Zone is required.

I know that there are many veterans in the café, especially among the older members

To them "Welcome Home "and "Thank you for your service"
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I've really come to appreciate the old Armistice Day.
Veterans For Peace wrote:Over one hundred years ago the world celebrated peace as a universal principle. The first World War had just ended and nations mourning their dead collectively called for an end to all wars. Armistice Day was born and was designated as “a day to be dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be thereafter celebrated." --https://www.veteransforpeace.org/take-a ... istice-day
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote:I've really come to appreciate the old Armistice Day.
Veterans For Peace wrote:Over one hundred years ago the world celebrated peace as a universal principle. The first World War had just ended and nations mourning their dead collectively called for an end to all wars. Armistice Day was born and was designated as “a day to be dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be thereafter celebrated." --https://www.veteransforpeace.org/take-a ... istice-day
Yes. Yesterday was the one hundred and first anniversary of the negotiated end of the world's bloodiest war to date which claimed somewhere in the vicinity of 40 million casualties, military and civilian alike, and the exact number will entirely likely never be known. Absolutely what happened on the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" deserved -- and deserves -- to be celebrated. And we thought that "The War to End All Wars" was it.

Unfortunately, history proved everybody wrong, and thanks to a worldwide economic collapse and one madman who deployed the "divide and conquer" tactic brilliantly lit the flame off again in the mid/late 1930s. And those same tactics remain in use in the world today, and decent populations get sucked in now just as they did then. I keep hoping that the mass insanity that convulsed the world in the late 19-teens can be finally laid to rest; however, sometimes I feel that that hope is in vain.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Some People Live A Lifetime Quote from Ronald Reagan 2019-11-12.jpg
Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

So True!!! :salut:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Without the support of the backroom staff the frontline soldiers couldn't do their role effectively so to me they deserve the description of veterans just as much. My son was an electrician in the RAF before he died and without his ensuing that the planes were serviceable the pilots couldn't have the faith in their machines to do their role.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I am very involved in veterans activity. And I can say that we all agree the only requirement to be considered a "Veteran" is that you served honorably .

It doesn't matter what you did . We were all a team . And no one could function with out the help and support of the other.