AGE APPROPIATE

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

AGE APPROPIATE

Post by oldsalt1 »

Again the café is a learning tool. Our mothers never taught us how tower a skirt or dress

I appreciate the comments both good and bad but the use of one term has me a little perplexed..

I think my legs are about the only good looking part left . I like to wear short clothing.

I number of times I have been told my outfits are not "AGE APPROPIATE""

Please explain this to me

What exactly is age appropriate for a 74 year old man to wear

I guess it is supposed to mean dress as a 74 year old woman would.

What type of 74 year old woman a housewife , Your mother a grandmother or perhaps which I prefer a 74 year old cougar.

I realize that I am not a fashion plate and I will never match the looks of Mark , NZ or Jeff. and of course SD but really if MRs Doubtfire is my only acceptable option Ill go back to pants
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Re: AGE APPROPIATE

Post by JeffB1959 »

I think some people are trapped by the antiquated mindset that only the young can wear short skirts/dresses, a mindset I find to be inaccurate at best, discriminatory at worst. I mean, if you have the legs to rock a short hem, then go ahead and rock it, regardless of your age. Just wear what you want, when you want, and give only as much credence to detractors as you want to give, which should be none.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jeff said it quite well, but I'll add in the notion of venue.

I've seen 70-year-old women who can rock a miniskirt with vastly more aplomb and grace than a lithe little twenty-something. They also know when to do so and when not to -- and it's all down to situation.

In the modern world, miniskirts are primarily regarded as very casual garments, more suited to "hunting behaviour" than business attire. They're explicitly designed to send a certain "signal" that is not really appropriate to the more sober world of business, which is where most men find themselves in. This is not to say that a guy has to pursue the "Mrs. Doubtfire look" -- not in the least; it's merely to say that, at least in "these here parts", pick your time and place wisely and be cognizant of the message you're sending.

I'd hazard a guess that none of us have Ally McBeal's legs -- and recall that her character was a parody.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

You said Ally Mcbeal Legs

We are just talking legs here

You be the judge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

You win hands down with your legs!!!! :cheers:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Part of the dilemma is that men, with some exceptions, of course, tend to have shorter legs and longer torsos than women...not to mention our dangly bits. But as for your right to express yourself with your clothing, I don’t think you need to be 74 to enjoy the right. But you, OS, served your country and labored enough years that the opinions of others should be of no consequence.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

The word appropriate has two meanings:
An adjective which means suitable or proper in the circumstances.
A verb which means to take something for one's own use, typically without the owner's permission.

I prefer the seconnd, interpretting that us mature age males are appropriating mini skirts for our own use without regard to society's conventions.

Generally I think that the notion of age appropriate is as silly as gender appropriate.
Last edited by denimini on Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

My skirts mostly end above my knees, and the same is true for most of the women I know who are my age. So no problem so far! I'm 53, which is a few years younger than oldsalt, but all being well, I will still be wearing the same length when I am his age. If you consult a men's guide to dressing well, I guarantee it won't give a minimum skirt length! So we must be free to wear whatever length we like, at any age.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

Well, I think Old Salt is the living proof that age isn't what counts, it' s the legs, and the attitude.

Thinking of "A guide to Men Dressing Well", I came across this article on Men dressing well in skirts.. It's not bad advice, at least to me. It does try to discourage bad combinations, but that makes sense. https://mens-fashion.lovetoknow.com/Men ... nd_Dresses
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

oldsalt1 wrote: I like to wear short clothing.
Then wear them.

Nuff said...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Sometimes my wife says:"Are you not too old for that?" when I'm about to climb a ladder to go on the roof or check the gutter. I always say that I'm not too old for anything. It just might take a little longer.
I wear with what I'm comfortable in. I might adjust to temperature or venue. Now I'm wearing Amish-lenght skirts but my favorite lenght is a few inches above the knee. Direction beach is one or two inches more. Everybody should be able to wear what is comfortable to him. The range is wide enough, from a SkirtDad and Mark to almost invisible models. Nobody should be dictated what to wear or not to wear.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

O.S. .....Try to visualise changing from your more formal skirts to my full summer skirts with hem below the knee and an elasticated waist ....
Some of the skirt shops for ladies stock this style of skirt with an elasticated waist .....Some skirts are plain with sunray pleats
You will have to be prepared for plenty of foot slogging to cover the ground...
The secret is to look on the skirt rails and judge your
male size and try on a garment which should fit you ....I rarely have problems with female fitting rooms ....You may be asked to use Male fitting rooms
or pay for the garment , and take it home and return it for a refund with the sales ticket if it is unsuitable .

What we in the U.K. refer to as Charity shops may provide a source of cheap second hand or unused ex stock items .The secret is to become streetwise
with this style of bargain hunting for treasures...
........ You have to find a style of skirt and a style of outfit which suits you ....
You may find a new style which is somewere between your current style and my suggested style....I tend to wear a male outfit and replace my trousers
with a skirt ..Sometimes I wear a male belt or a female style scarf.....usually bare legs with white ankle socks .
Always check your size and carry a dressmakers tape measure ....Correctly identified sizing is a problem......
The final choice of attire is yours.....you may move the goal posts as you see fit .
My P.M. Box is open if you have any queries . I am 5 foot 3 inches ..... about your age....and have small feet .....best of luck
Last edited by weeladdie18 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Dan ,please remember that I have been out on the street for a few years ....If you consider my lecture , from my experience ', you have to find an outfit
which suits you as an older gentleman who wishes to wear a skirt.....It is perhaps not correct to attempt to dress as a female of our age......
I am usually lucky enough not to appear out on the street in a similar attire to a female of my age....
I have only ever seen a female wearing an identical skirt to the one I have chosen to wear...

The skill is in going out in the street and attempting to establish exactly what the general trend of fashion is being worn by the female....
then deliberately avoid wearing that style of fashion......In this manner you can develop your own style of fashion
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

"AGE APPROPRIATE"
Just what does this mean and why is it so important to dressing in a skirt??

It means squat and it is not important at all. We are men who wear skirts and there are no rules for us. We are the ones who set the rules for what we wear. What does age matter to us? As far as I am concerned wear what we like and when we like. Age has nothing to do with it!!

I like skirts that come to the bottom of my knee cap and that is mostly what I wear. BUT I also wear skirts the are slightly above the kneecap as well as mid calf skirts and ankle length skirts. It all depends on how I feel that day as well as the weather.

So my advise for what it's worth wear what you want, when you want, and how you want and the devil with the rest... :twisted:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Fred in Skirts wrote: So my advise for what it's worth wear what you want, when you want, and how you want and the devil with the rest... :twisted:
Exactly. Other people will learn to cope ......... or not.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia