WHAT IS THE CAFE ALL ABOUT

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

WHAT IS THE CAFE ALL ABOUT

Post by oldsalt1 »

I think we are losing the purpose of the café

I just clicked on under the Active Topic section and of the first 12 items that came up 8 or 2/3 are off topic .

What happened to the original purpose of this blog
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Re: WHAT IS THE CAFE ALL ABOUT

Post by victor1964 »

oldsalt1 wrote:I think we are losing the purpose of the café

I just clicked on under the Active Topic section and of the first 12 items that came up 8 or 2/3 are off topic .

What happened to the original purpose of this blog
I have the same opinion as you oldsalt, I have seen many posts recently that would be more at home on FB :(
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

This is a topic that crops up on other forums that I frequent.

My thoughts are as follows -
  1. Strictly on-topic forums are, in my opinion, a pretty dull place. It leads to excessive moderating and just stops being fun
  2. There are some on and off-topic things I can share here in a "safe" environment that I wouldn't discuss on FB or other forums
  3. I like discussing off-topic things with people who have a similar outlook to me and may have had some similar (good and bad) life experiences. I also like the fact that this is an international site and so you can get views on a wide variety of topics from the UK, US, OZ and a load of other countries no doubt
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Yesterday I had an eye opening experience while visiting my dad's side of the family. It set me back. It made me think of many of the petty disputes we've had on this site.

Then this morning I recieved a heartfelt and disturbing message from one of our own. I will keep the name out of it, and plan to respond when I get home later. But the whole ordeal really has me thinking. I've got something to say about this, but I don't have time right at this moment.

In the mean time, let us be friends. It's getting bad out there (more on that later). We need each other and despite our small differences, we all share a common theme (freedom to be ourselves) and a common foe (those who would seek to stop us).

Dan, I'm glad you responded to my millenial thread. I had wondered if maybe you blocked me. I'm glad you apparently didn't. I may disagree on some things you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. And with veterans day coming up, I feel obliged to offer a heart felt thanks for those of you who put in your service to ensure all us have the rights we have.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

A very good question indeed! I believe we are all in the same boat and we need each others help in staying sane in these times, add the fact that we dress counter to common thinking puts us in a world of hurt.
If we just talk about wearing skirts it would get very dull fast. But the fact that we can and do talk about other things means we have an active and happy group. Sure we do have our differences BUT we are all different. Yet we are the same. The one thing we have in common has brought us here to be with each other in thick and thin.
I have been on forums that are so rigidly controlled that it was no fun and I soon left them. I have been here for a long time now and have no thoughts of leaving. Why because of the diversity of thinking and subjects talked about here at the Cafe. Our Moderators are the best I have seen in a long time. They do not jump on people for the silliest of things and also let some problems work them selves out with maybe just a hint of moderation.
We are very lucky in that respect. Thanks go out to our Moderators. :cheers:

Just my .02 worth, and at todays inflated prices that is probably not worth much anymore. :toast:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I can join in the sentiment here. I would be bored to death if all we ever talked about were skirts, skirts and more skirts. I don't want to dampen anyone's enthusiasm for submitting personal stories and pictures but I look on those threads with a bit of trepidation and don't enjoy them as much as discussions on other topics. Just because I don't get the enjoyment doesn't mean that you should stop. It's my problem not yours.

The breadth of topics discussed has been mind-boggling. We are a healthy bunch of intellectuals with, I would estimate, an above average intelligence level. Yes, Moon, you included. Moon, you have said things that have taken my breath away in a good sense. You have all posted things that have increased my knowledge and offered alternative viewpoints that have triggered off side thoughts, not just in sex and gender, but politics, religion, science, sociology and technology. Admittedly not everything I have agreed with and some of the things said have run counter to my feelings but then you haven't always agreed with everything I have said. Sometimes I feel that I've been right and sometimes wrong, but then that's probably true to life again. Yes, we have our spats but we have an excellent set of moderators who do a first-rate job and should be congratulated on doing such a difficult role well even though they pour ice water on us sometimes.

Skirtcafe, to me, is a meeting place for like-minded people who wear skirts, dresses and other traditionally female marketed items to talk in a safe environment. Just think that if this was in meat space then do you think that ALL our conversations would be about skirts? No, we would digress and discuss family, common interests, jobs, education and other topics. That would be usual. If this were, say a bridge club [0], would we just discuss bridge related topics? I doubt it. Should we limit our posts to skirts only then I would be long gone so keep it all up. I have noticed recently that the number of posts per day has increased dramatically.

[0] The card game played in pairs in which contracts are bid and played.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Sinned wrote:If this were, say a bridge club [0], would we just discuss bridge related topics? I doubt it. Should we limit our posts to skirts only then I would be long gone so keep it all up. I have noticed recently that the number of posts per day has increased dramatically.
[0] The card game played in pairs in which contracts are bid and played.
Here I thought Bridge Clubs discussed and build bridges across the waters of life..
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

One of the great joys in life -- although now seemingly becoming anachronistic -- is the art of conversation. Sadly, as I mention, it seems to be a dying art as we recede into the world of Farcebook, SMS, and the general cell' 'phone induced mania.

I'm off my usual cadence today, and it's made all the difference. Sure, I visited my usual haunts -- but at a different time than normal -- and it made a world of difference. The usual cast of characters was different, but I'm an adaptable little swine and settled in with a bunch at the piano bar at my local (which is sadly morphing into yet another insipid "sports bar") and had a great time in conversation with folks I hadn't known before.

If we stuck completely to the script and only wrote about sklirts this place would become uninhabitable, and I don't want to see that happen. So, "Off Topic" is where we get to put stuff up for general conversation (and BS) in a truly international forum -- and I think that's magic. There are very few here who I suspect have lower than average intellect, and that makes it all the better! Like a rising tide floating all boats, elevated conversation has the power to raise all who engage in it. I do not want to, nor will I, change that. If one doesn't feel the need to peruse "Off Topic" than one does not need to (i.e. "Change the channel"), but I would hope that it would be an enlightening, or at least enjoyable, space (which is why I advocated for it long before I became a moderator).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

You guys are right the café is a place to establish a common bond and then we can engage in an assortment of topics.

I think there is a good assortment of ideas floating among the members and I guess that just talking about skirts would be boring.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Discussing skirts is the main factor that draws us together but reading all of the off topic subjects is interesting, often fun and you learn things as well. Also fun to see how boats can be rocked :twisted:

John
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yeah, it's fun watching pelmut and Daryl bat the discussion between themselves sometimes. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:Yeah, it's fun watching pelmut and Daryl bat the discussion between themselves sometimes. :D
It may be fun for some, but others take a dimmer view of it, especially if it's about a topic they hold dear.

I don't mind a good argument from time to time, but when it branches towards looking heavily like religion and faith I start to "lose patience" and start moving towards the box with the hammer in it. It's all fine and good up until somebody gets hurt.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote:
Sinned wrote:Yeah, it's fun watching pelmut and Daryl bat the discussion between themselves sometimes. :D
It may be fun for some, but others take a dimmer view of it, especially if it's about a topic they hold dear.
I don't mind a good argument from time to time, but when it branches towards looking heavily like religion and faith I start to "lose patience" and start moving towards the box with the hammer in it. It's all fine and good up until somebody gets hurt.
I am afraid sometimes for a topic when those two get going. I would not like to see the hammer brought out again and topics locked down. Have we not learned from the recent past what happens when topics get out of control?

I would suggest that they take their arguments to Private Mail
And not have them in the public arena.

Just my .02$ worth of thought!!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
crfriend wrote:
I am afraid sometimes for a topic when those two get going. I would not like to see the hammer brought out again and topics locked down. Have we not learned from the recent past what happens when topics get out of control?

I would suggest that they take their arguments to Private Mail
And not have them in the public arena.

Just my .02$ worth of thought!!
Please do not get me going Fred...I am a British Subject and I have fallen Foul Of the Mods ....A Judgement has been made and I have been informed
that I Have no right of reply....
I was proudly told that there was likely to be a Blood Bath , ...........A Mod shot himself in the foot.

Please remember that as far as I am aware I am quite within my rights to flag your post .
It would seem to me that we all have a right to remain Silent so the pages of the Skirt Café can remain empty and well pressed ...

Please hear my sermon of the ancient traveller.....I stopped at a local watering hole for some refreshment and I was accosted by a Missionary.
He told me to pray for anything I desired ....A charming waitress came to my table and lured the missionary away

I sat there in my peace and senility and watched the clouds roll by....Roderick
Last edited by Uncle Al on Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting format
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Hold up.... let me get this bag of popcorn going..... :mrgreen:

:hide:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.