The Curious Origin of the High Heel

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

The Curious Origin of the High Heel

Post by FranTastic444 »

If ever you needed any ammo for an argument about wearing heels.....

May not work in the UK due to crazy BBC licensing issues.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: The Curious Origin of the High Heel

Post by crfriend »

This is hardly news. Heeled shoes first came into being shortly after the invention of the stirrup in horsemanship as the heel helps keep the foot in the stirrup, especially as the horseman stands up to perform task, be that firing an arrow or (in more modern times) roping an errant cow. We can blame the Iranians (formerly known as Persians) for this.

That they also confer some extra measure of height was not lost on the non-cavalry types and was also adopted. The gals pilfered the concept some centuries later and aside from cowboy-styled boots are now pretty much verboten for the guys.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

FranTastic444 wrote:If ever you needed any ammo for an argument about wearing heels.....

May not work in the UK due to crazy BBC licensing issues.
The link does work, here in the UK. :)
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

shadowfax wrote: The link does work, here in the UK. :)
Glad to hear :-) I've had trouble in the past with stuff originating from BBC World / BBC.com not being viewable in the UK. Conversely, there is a lot of UK tv content not available outside the country. Fortunately I can still get R4 and R5Live (albeit a lot of the sports coverage is blocked - which is not normally of concern to me).
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

FranTastic444 wrote:
Glad to hear :-) I've had trouble in the past with stuff originating from BBC World / BBC.com not being viewable in the UK. Conversely, there is a lot of UK tv content not available outside the country. Fortunately I can still get R4 and R5Live (albeit a lot of the sports coverage is blocked - which is not normally of concern to me).
A lot of the programmes which are not available to folks outside the UK may become available on the new subscription service called BritBox, from the BBC/ITV/CH4/CH5.
http://www.britbox.com
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

shadowfax wrote:
FranTastic444 wrote:
A lot of the programmes which are not available to folks outside the UK may become available on the new subscription service called BritBox, from the BBC/ITV/CH4/CH5.
http://www.britbox.com
Does that mean that people outside the UK will have to suffer a world without commercials like us Brits? How will they stand having to watch a whole programme without the constant breaks to erm, put the kettle on to make tea/coffee, or err, make room for more tea/coffee? You never know, uninterrupted viewing might catch on!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

BritBox has been available in the US for a while. Not really of any interest to me. It would be great if they offered live BBC Parliament and News24.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

Big and Bashful wrote: Does that mean that people outside the UK will have to suffer a world without commercials like us Brits? How will they stand having to watch a whole programme without the constant breaks to erm, put the kettle on to make tea/coffee, or err, make room for more tea/coffee? You never know, uninterrupted viewing might catch on!
The BBC advertises but they call it “product placement”, makes you wonder why we pay our TV licence though... :twisted: :twisted:
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Big and Bashful wrote: Does that mean that people outside the UK will have to suffer a world without commercials like us Brits? How will they stand having to watch a whole programme without the constant breaks to erm, put the kettle on to make tea/coffee, or err, make room for more tea/coffee? You never know, uninterrupted viewing might catch on!
I really need the time to get more tea as well as the time to make room for it. :rofl: :hide:
Tackleberry wrote:The BBC advertises but they call it “product placement”, makes you wonder why we pay our TV licence though... :twisted: :twisted:
Product placement does not bring in as much money as does a 3min info commercial does. Even 15 sec commercials bring in a ton of money for the TV station.

We do not have a national TV broadcasting company like the BBC. We do have some TV channels that are called educational stations that are part of a network of state owned TV stations but they are also free. Most all TV stations in the states are privately owned by individuals or large conglomerates.

Unless you are connected to a cable company or to a satellite company TV here in the states is for all intents and purposes free for the viewer. No license fees or taxes are required to be paid. What the TV companies do is sell time to people that allows them to show off their latest piece of crap to try to get you to buy it. There used to be some limit as to how many of these commercials could be run at a time but that has gone the way of the DODO bird.

That is why you can now get up go to the loo and then make a fresh pot of tea and never miss a single minute of the actual show.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

ITV, Cnannel4 and 5 have traditional advertisements every half hour or so during which we can take our "tea break". BBC channels don't, although they do advertise trailers for their own future programmes. Programmes such as Blue Peter [0] would offer slots in which destructions were outlined on making things. If cornflake boxes were used then the box designs were covered over in brown paper. Sticky tape was called that, not Sellotape. Fablon was called sticky backed plastic. It was a matter of mild amusement that us watchers got used to. Brand names were never used or displayed so that they kept to the "no product advertising" rule.

[0] A children's magazine programme offering a variety of articles. Wiki it.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

I thought I'd resurrect this related thread rather than creating a new one.

Heels for men: how Harry Styles and Marc Jacobs are working the trend

The website MatchesFashion is mentioned in the article. The stuff they have is not cheap, but there are some interesting looking shoes for men there.

These look similar to the ladies booties I got from Payless.

Proper pair of block heels here