Canadian Elections

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Canadian Elections

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Canadian elections are about to be really Fun!! :lol: :lol:
canadian elections 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Canadian Elections

Post by dillon »

https://www.cnn.com/americas/live-news/ ... index.html

Ivanka and Melania are secretly ecstatic.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I think my refrigerator will be running in 2020...

...and it's promised to make everything... cool!

8)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

moonshadow wrote:I think my refrigerator will be running in 2020...

...and it's promised to make everything... cool!

8)
Then you better catch it before it runs away... :D
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

dillon wrote:https://www.cnn.com/americas/live-news/ ... index.html

Ivanka and Melania are secretly ecstatic.
I've obviously lost touch because I cannot for the life of me understand why they would be ecstatic.

I bought a Jiffy Pop to help watch the election results and didn't even use it, they were so close to predictions.
Daryl...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

What's up with politicians and black face these days??

Hell, I come from an outright racist family, some relatives of mine were actually members of the Ku Klux Klan [0], and I don't recall anyone wear wearing "black face"....

[0] And if you're waiting on me to apologize for sh!t my family did.... don't hold your breath. I ain't running for public office, so why should I?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

moonshadow wrote:What's up with politicians and black face these days??

Hell, I come from an outright racist family, some relatives of mine were actually members of the Ku Klux Klan [0], and I don't recall anyone wear wearing "black face"....

[0] And if you're waiting on me to apologize for sh!t my family did.... don't hold your breath. I ain't running for public office, so why should I?
Oh accusing others of racism is just another way of asserting power, and that has become a sport for a certain number of people who make these pronouncements and denouncements of others. Certainly, blackface as a means of ungenerously mocking another race, would be racist, or at least gauche, but even my mom's black Jamaican neighbour doesn't think it's racist per se, pointing out that even black people ran blackface minstrel shows at one time.

Racists wear white ghost costumes with pointy heads not costumes meant to make them be mistaken for wanting to be what they hate.

Drag queens often do vicious caricatures of women. Why aren't men who went to a party in drag now being called out as sexist? Because they haven't gotten around to that yet.
Daryl...
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Daryl wrote:
moonshadow wrote:What's up with politicians and black face these days??

Oh accusing others of racism is just another way of asserting power, and that has become a sport for a certain number of people who make these pronouncements and denouncements of others. Certainly, blackface as a means of ungenerously mocking another race, would be racist, or at least gauche, but even my mom's black Jamaican neighbour doesn't think it's racist per se, pointing out that even black people ran blackface minstrel shows at one time.

Racists wear white ghost costumes with pointy heads not costumes meant to make them be mistaken for wanting to be what they hate.

Drag queens often do vicious caricatures of women. Why aren't men who went to a party in drag now being called out as sexist? Because they haven't gotten around to that yet.
Blackface is a new movement, which first was more local, but now seemingly becoming global. It started of as a protest against "Sint Nicolaas", a child's feast for many centuries. Sint Nicolaas had two helpers which were negro's called "Black Peter". These helpers were the result of the festivities in New Amsterdam, slaves who were freed but grateful to their former master and also always enjoyed the Sint Nicolaas Feast. Now the presence of Black Peter is considered discriminatory and forgotten is that the Africans were the first to have slaves (NB, as far as we know now the actual builders of the Pyramids in Egypt would have been slaves).
Now the Black Face movement is also attacking other people who at a time when such was considered fun and appropriate, e.g. the much used party theme Arabian Nights, or student arties behind closed doors. Bearing in mind the existence of the "Mod-hamer" I'll refrain from an opinion other than I do consider it wrong to judge people for their deeds many years ago with present day norms instead of the norms fitting the time frame. What we see now is that Justin is "condemned" now with present day norms for actions about 20 years ago when he was (I guess) still (a bit) naïf.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Gusto10 wrote:I [...] consider it wrong to judge people for their deeds many years ago with present day norms instead of the norms fitting the time frame. What we see now is that Justin is "condemned" now with present day norms for actions about 20 years ago when he was (I guess) still (a bit) naïf.
Indeed, this is precisely the sort of insanity we get when we try to judge yesterday by today's standards. History is history. Use it as a teaching lesson if need be, but do not try to rewrite nor bury it simply because you don't like it. In short, "It happened. Get over it."

Trudeau's defence is airtight in this one, and he would be dear within his rights to comment, "Was it my best life-decision? In retrospect, no, but one must recall the social mores of the time in which it happened and which we were all immersed in. Would I do it now? No." Case closed.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:
Gusto10 wrote:I [...] consider it wrong to judge people for their deeds many years ago with present day norms instead of the norms fitting the time frame. What we see now is that Justin is "condemned" now with present day norms for actions about 20 years ago when he was (I guess) still (a bit) naïf.
Indeed, this is precisely the sort of insanity we get when we try to judge yesterday by today's standards. History is history. Use it as a teaching lesson if need be, but do not try to rewrite nor bury it simply because you don't like it. In short, "It happened. Get over it."

Trudeau's defence is airtight in this one, and he would be dear within his rights to comment, "Was it my best life-decision? In retrospect, no, but one must recall the social mores of the time in which it happened and which we were all immersed in. Would I do it now? No." Case closed.
He did get pretty close to doing exactly that. He did the requisite public apologies then just moved on. His example will establish that old photos of politically incorrect makeup are no longer weapons.

Smear is a dangerous weapon in politics because you can be punished for using it as easily as rewarded.
Daryl...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

In politics every thing is useful to destroy the opposition.

My parents did not own slaves nor did any of my other relatives yet I am told I have to apologize for others who did own slaves. I will not apologize for what was done in the past by people whom I did not even know who died hundreds of years before I was even born. If it bothers you so much then find a time machine and go back when and ask them for an apology. Do not worry me about it!

If I was running for office I would have to castigate my opponent for bringing it up.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

I wonder when Trudeau will use his father's inventio "fuddle duddle" as an answer to nasty questions.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I'm in view, there is no "white or black" there are only those who work for their bread, and those who don't.

I've busted my ass for everything I have, I've spent the better part of my life apologizing to the world for the person I am, despite the fact that I've never inflicted injury on anyone. I am, always have been, always will be, a low class, bottom of the barrel white guy who lives off of whatever scraps fall from the rich man's table.

I'm done apologizing.
-Andrea
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Gusto10 wrote:I wonder when Trudeau will use his father's inventio "fuddle duddle" as an answer to nasty questions.
Oh now I am getting nostalgic!
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

moonshadow wrote:I'm in view, there is no "white or black" there are only those who work for their bread, and those who don't.

I've busted my ass for everything I have, I've spent the better part of my life apologizing to the world for the person I am, despite the fact that I've never inflicted injury on anyone. I am, always have been, always will be, a low class, bottom of the barrel white guy who lives off of whatever scraps fall from the rich man's table.

I'm done apologizing.
The next step is being done with the accusations made against you.
Daryl...