New Dresses

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

New Dresses

Post by Daryl »

I apologise for not posting pics of me in them, but all the pics I took were either way out of focus or garbage for other reasons. So, just imagine my un-curvy but somewhat lumpy and taller body in these.

These are my first women's dresses. I have had other dresses, either made for men or unisex items (thawbs and caftans) that I only wear at home, but these are the first I've bought designed and marketed specifically for women, and the first dresses I've worn outside the home regularly.

The first is a shirt dress. I wear it without the sash because the sash shortens it slightly and the dress is already above the knees more than my comfort limit. I also wear the sleeves down, not rolled up as in the picture. The pockets are ample and part of the reason I wanted this dress. I find that I can wear dark tights/pantyhose with it only if everything else is dark, otherwise I need to wear just tights that are close to my skin tone. Socks up to my knees don't feel comfortable mentally because the dress is short enough that the bit of flesh that remains visible above the socks seems too flirty to me, an effect that young women can pull off much more effectively than grey old men.

The second is a knit ("sweater") dress. I have it in both a light brown and the grey shown here. It falls much lower on me -- right to mid-knee -- than on the model shown, despite me being 6'1" tall. This is probably a consequence of me not having her curves. I bought the first of these one size up from my usual 3x because the knit fitting so close featured my lumps and bumps rather unpleasantly. when I bought the 2nd one, I went with 3x, and could easily have worn a 2x. If I am too self-conscious of my bumps in these smaller sizes, I can wear a jacket, and I wouldn't wear these dresses in non-jacket weather anyway because they are very warm, almost too warm for indoor wear. I am not sure I'd want to sit in a warm office for 9 hours in something so warm.

The experience of wearing a dress; of getting dressed in the morning and remaining in it for most of the day; has been quite gratifying. The simplicity of the single garment is wonderful. It makes things one wears under it more pleasant as well because there is no competition around the waist: for example pantyhose and a cami. The main downside is that the hem goes up when one reaches up with one's arms, so one needs to consider the length of the garment seriously before choosing it for certain activities. A belt around the waist reduces this effect considerably, but pulls the hem up slightly on its own to begin with. I find a regular man's black belt looks good with the sweater dress, even with a leather vest or short jean jacket over it.

These dresses are the start of what I think will be a much larger collection, eventually rivalling or surpassing skirts in my wardrobe. For me, finding dresses that are suitable for a man will probably be the main limiting factor, because most women's wear in my size range is designed for the much more curvy bodies typical of plus-size women.

Between the footwear and other items I've been buying from Additionelle over the past year, most of the clerks have gotten to recognise me, and to trust me in ways I suspect they might not trust any unknown male customer, especially around access to the change rooms area. Access to change rooms was very handy for these dresses, so I am glad that it was offered without me even requesting it, as has become the norm. Many things I could buy online with confidence, but dresses and footwear definitely require trying on.

Image Image
Daryl...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New Dresses

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Daryl, sorry to say this BUT the pictures did not show up, only the words "image image" at the end of your written description of them.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I can see the images.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Daryl, sorry to say this BUT the pictures did not show up, only the words "image image" at the end of your written description of them.
This is what's known as a "client-side" problem and causes vastly more grief in the real world than it really should. First and foremost, This is NOT Fred's fault. Nor is it Daryl's.

The images are linked to in HTML using IMG tags to an HTTPS (SSL, Secure Sockets Layer) server that uses a certificate from "DigiCert". My guess here is that Fred is using an older browser that has a certificate "Chain of Trust" that's badly out of date and for which updates are no longer available. Furthermore, it's likely that the browser configuration is not set to properly report trust-chain failures and that's what is causing the "image image" display that's being seen with no indication as to why.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Daryl, sorry to say this BUT the pictures did not show up, only the words "image image" at the end of your written description of them.

Fred
I am now on my laptop and can now see the images. I like the shirt dress the best of all.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote:
This is what's known as a "client-side" problem and causes vastly more grief in the real world than it really should. First and foremost, This is NOT Fred's fault. Nor is it Daryl's.

The images are linked to in HTML using IMG tags to an HTTPS (SSL, Secure Sockets Layer) server that uses a certificate from "DigiCert". My guess here is that Fred is using an older browser that has a certificate "Chain of Trust" that's badly out of date and for which updates are no longer available. Furthermore, it's likely that the browser configuration is not set to properly report trust-chain failures and that's what is causing the "image image" display that's being seen with no indication as to why.
Carl you are quite right My boat anchor runs win 2000 and it is unable to update to anything else as clock speed and other things are in play..
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Fred
Here ya go.

https://www.additionelle.com/en/ribbed- ... 26675.html

https://www.additionelle.com/en/long-sl ... 28435.html
Daryl...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I could see the pics (female models) and liked the sweater dress.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

dillon wrote:I could see the pics (female models) and liked the sweater dress.
The sweater dress has become what I throw on daily now. I should have bought more than two, but they are not cheap.
Daryl...
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Daryl wrote:
The sweater dress has become what I throw on daily now. I should have bought more than two, but they are not cheap.
Maybe shop around..
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Gusto10 wrote:
Daryl wrote:
Maybe shop around..
I wait for sales. :D There aren't a lot of opportunities to shop around in my size range. If I could be said to have a bust, it is 51". That makes me a 3x or 24 in North American sizes.
Daryl...
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Here are a couple of affordable ones. I got a cable-knit sweater dress from woman within a few years ago, and I like it a lot.
Works better with a belt and/or tights, but I was in a hurry to get the picture done and get back to work.

Cable knit, $60

Turtleneck, $32

Chevron stitch (looks thinner), marked down to $16!
Ralph!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Ralph wrote:Here are a couple of affordable ones. I got a cable-knit sweater dress from woman within a few years ago, and I like it a lot.
Works better with a belt and/or tights, but I was in a hurry to get the picture done and get back to work.
Those look nice enough I might be tempted to risk an international order, plus exchange rate and shipping.
Daryl...
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Ralph wrote:Here are a couple of affordable ones. I got a cable-knit sweater dress from woman within a few years ago, and I like it a lot.

Cable knit, $60

Turtleneck, $32

Chevron stitch (looks thinner), marked down to $16!
I have a dress similar to that which I bought at Primark a few weeks ago.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Shirtdresses and sweater dresses are GREAT!

I have gotten most of my clothes at Ross Dress for Less, TJ Maxx, Fred Meyers (a Kroger's chain),Target, various online sites, JC Penney's and resale stores. You could count the number of dresses I have paid more than $50 for on your hands. And I have LOADS of dresses. My usual price range is $25-40. Your mother should have told you, "You have to shop around!"

And be willing to go into fitting rooms. Trust me, the sales associates will be totally helpful and supportive, wherever you go. They want to help you make a purchase!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.