Ridiculous - Corrupt - Congressman

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Ridiculous - Corrupt - Congressman

Post by dillon »

As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Jetblasted

Re: Ridiculous - Corrupt - Congressman

Post by Jetblasted »

Corrupt Congressman?

DRAIN THE SWAMP!
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

He isn't setting a proper example for his kids whilst rearing them.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Why be surprised? I thought all politicians were corrupt, just some more than others. I don't think any of our current lot of MP's are exempt as the rules on claiming expenses are loose enough to allow abuse. Can you imagine in private enterprise claiming for a Mars bar on their expense form?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I may be misjudging Rep. Meadows personal religious beliefs, but it's extremely difficult to see how supposedly "Fine Christian" politicians will unite around history's most un-Christian President, then make sanctimonious pronouncements with straight faces...while holding out their hands for campaign donations from "Christian" organizations. But Meadows clearly, in Trumpian fashion, flaunts the law. Men who live in glass houses... ~Shaking my head in disgust~
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

"Politicians = Corruption"

That says it all....
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Fred in Skirts wrote:"Politicians = Corruption"

That says it all....
Amen, bro...so it seems. But that doesn’t make it acceptable.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

That says it all....
I think there are exceptions. I think of Jimmy Carter, Hubert Humphrey, and Mark Hatfield being good counter-examples. I disagreed with all of them on some issues, but they were repectable politicians.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Jim wrote:

That says it all....
I think there are exceptions. I think of Jimmy Carter, Hubert Humphrey, and Mark Hatfield being good counter-examples. I disagreed with all of them on some issues, but they were repectable politicians.
Include the late Senator John McCain one of a very few honorable Republicans !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

We had better terminate this discussion. I don’t want another “ugly-gram” from a certain moderator. Apparently the rules for off-topic have changed, and convenienly for those in the unenviable position of defending the soon to be former president. I can only suggest that as these conservative gents consider their options for coping with an unsupportable leader, they ask themselves what they would be saying if it was Obama making staggering blunders, and consider what they would desire to do with Obama. Then do that. But I digress. Not sure why this thread didn’t get a scolding too.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Dillon, it hasn't degenerated because I think that we are all in agreement that politicians are corrupt. For it to get into a flame war there has to be some measure of disagreement. Enough said. Our current bunch of reprobate politicians are certainly making a laughing stock of themselves. They are thrashing about trying to keep us in the EU whilst endeavouring to avoid a no deal Brexit whilst going the route likely to make it happen. Using up time on court cases over whether its illegal for the PM to not sign a letter to the EU. Funny how court time can be made available for such when ordinary citizens can wait months for an ordinary case to come to court. Two PM's have negotiated deals which aren't acceptable to parliament so what makes them think that any better deal can be negotiated with an extension however long? Parliament have been good at saying what isn't acceptable but have failed to say what would be. Consequently they are now muddying the waters by trying to lump a referendum on any deal with an option to say that we should remain. Not acceptable - we already settled the exit issue. But time is short - Europe may take days to decide on an extension - last I heard they were still ruminating on the exit deals. But watch this space - 24 hours is a long, long time in British politics at the moment.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

We're watching from the touchline and we're not cheering.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Tom, it's an impossible situation. Basically half the country voted in and half out. The outers were a slightly greater proportion than the inners. So whatever happens half the country will feel aggrieved. Maybe the outers more so than the inners even though at the moment they are the least vociferous. To be fair I think the whole issue has been handled incompetently on all sides and is still being handled so and our MP's are not only not worth the paper they are printed on but not worth the huge salaries and expenses they are being paid. The suggestion that all the current bunch of bananas should be barred from resitting as MPs is an appealing one so that after the next election we end up with a fresh set with no baggage.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Sinned wrote:Tom, it's an impossible situation. Basically half the country voted in and half out. The outers were a slightly greater proportion than the inners. So whatever happens half the country will feel aggrieved. Maybe the outers more so than the inners even though at the moment they are the least vociferous. To be fair I think the whole issue has been handled incompetently on all sides and is still being handled so and our MP's are not only not worth the paper they are printed on but not worth the huge salaries and expenses they are being paid. The suggestion that all the current bunch of bananas should be barred from resitting as MPs is an appealing one so that after the next election we end up with a fresh set with no baggage.
Half the country did not vote out....37.4% of those registered to vote, voted out. That equates to around 26.5% of the population as was then in 2016.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:Basically half the country voted in and half out.
SkirtsDad wrote:Half the country did not vote out....37.4% of those registered to vote, voted out.
What we have here is an engineering question in need of getting solved. I'm sorry that you lot just to the west of the mainland are going through all the angst you are, but your situation is a reflection on what's going on in the USA with a seemingly 50/50 divide -- a situation that modern republics are not geared to handle in the "winner-take-all" situation.

Prima-facie, at least as an intermediary step, I'd like to see the definition of "majority" changed from 50.01% to, say, 65%. Furthermore, I'd like to see voting made mandatory with fines for any qualified adult citizen who fails to show up at the place of balloting -- and election day made a national holiday so, "I had to work" is not an excuse -- and if a employer is actively preventing employees from voting that employer would face withering punitive fines for malfeasance. If no candidate reaches "majority" then the election is re-run.

Beyond that, we need a way for the electorate to have the option of, "None of the Above" -- as in "None of the proposed candidates are acceptable for office." Blank ballots (or slots therein) would be counted in the "No acceptable candidate" category, and if a majority rules "No acceptable candidate" then the whole process is started with a different batch of candidates until such time as a meaningful majority agrees on a candidate.

Using the last "election" in the USA as an exemplar, we truly had a scenario where precisely none of the proposed candidates were even remotely suitable to hold the office, and we wound up with the entirely kinky event were the putative loser of the "election" "won" it. I use the USA here as an example simply because it's what I'm familiar with, not because of any redeeming virtue of the place or its system of government. I suspect that the "Brexit" vote was carried out along similar lines with massive dis-information being spewed by both sides.

If we don't find a way around this problem then the Western World headed for one Hell of a mess.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!