Wearing a skirt to church

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
jjjjohanne

Wearing a skirt to church

Post by jjjjohanne »

Over the past two years, I have finally broken the barrier in my mind that I would not be welcome at church. I have attended three different churches, one time each, while wearing a skirt or dress. Each time, I was treated very well. Perhaps, I was treated normally. No one mentioned my outfit. I was welcomed kindly. Eventually, I relaxed enough to get something out of the time.

Recently, I attended a rather conservative church in the country. I wasn't sure if it would be as cool with my fashion freedom. But, it was fine. In fact, they had a meal after church and someone invited me to sit with their family. I had to stand in a food line that zig-zagged down a hall and back again. That resulted in me being seen and greeted by the half of the line that was in front of me and then later by the half of the line that was behind me. I was welcomed and my hand was shaked.

This was so much better than sneaking around shopping in a skirt. In a store, people don't want to meet you. I am extroverted. This was right down my personality's alley! It was awkward being in an unexpected situation that exposed me to so many people. But, it didn't matter. It was fine. It wasn't much different than wearing shorts or a suit or whatever else.

I normally don't promote my blog here, but I will share this link because there is a clip from the church's video of the service on there.
https://joeypress.wordpress.com/2019/10 ... at-church/
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wearing a skirt to church

Post by oldsalt1 »

I wear skirts to church quite often at least twice a month never had a problem Seeing the video it all looks normal and natural and accepted
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Indeed. Some years back, our pastor did a series on Deut 22:5 and it was NOT about what clothing you wore but more about what you did. I've even waxed poetic on this site and others about my own research into the topic.

Anyway. I'd gotten my first skirt because my friend Polly gave a funny look and muttered 'skirt' everytime I said "Kilt." I also had a couple kilts. Unknown to me when I joined, there were a number of folks in this church somewhat related to me or "friends of the family" from way back. Lots of the same names show up from Scotland, to Virginia, to the Appalachians to Adair county and up north to Jefferson county and southern Indiana.

I started out wearing my kilts to church, usually as part of a suit. Then after a while and knowing that many people from church had seen me skirted at the grocery, movies, and various other venues I started wearing a pencil skirt or some other knee-length skirt to Sunday night events and Wednesday night study group and less formal activities while still wearing a more formal "Sunday-go-to-meeting" kilted look to Sunday morning services - "showing the flag" so to speak as well as telling some good stories about Scotland.

We also have two growing Spanish churches sharing our facilities and sometimes have combined services, and some of our missions folk have sponsored some of their friends from Africa to come to the US and now we have an African church. No tensions at all, so far as I know....well, other than normal life events.

That said, I'm old, polite, balding and with a full white-haired beard.

Oh, and Saturday we're going for a Group Hike at a local wildlife preserve which I intend to join...in my running skirt....with tights or leggings perhaps depending on the weather.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

I think your outfit is very nice. I admire your courage to attend a church that is in the country in a skirt. The church reminds me of similar churches where I grew up.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

jjjjohanne wrote:
I normally don't promote my blog here, but I will share this link because there is a clip from the church's video of the service on there.
https://joeypress.wordpress.com/2019/10 ... at-church/

Is there a link to join your blog?
jjjjohanne

Post by jjjjohanne »

I added an email subscription widget to the right side.

Thank you for pushing me to be a legitimate blogger!

Joey