If I was a gambling man...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

If I was a gambling man...

Post by dillon »

https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1028550142

Even FOX NEWS released THEIR OWN polling that shows that 51% of FOX RESPONDENTS want the president impeached AND convicted. BTW, Mike Pence will be the next Gerald Ford...assuming he is not complicit in Trump crimes...and therefore also impeached.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Uncle Al

Re: If I was a gambling man...

Post by Uncle Al »

OK Dillon,

I'ld like to know how you think this website has
anything to do with men wearing skirts/kilts :?:
:Rulz:
2. No politics, unless related to skirts/kilts. No religion,
unless related to skirts/kilts.
These topics were banned
because they lead to endless flame wars.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

-shrugs- My bad... Didn’t notice it starting a flame war, though. Did I miss it?
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

dillon wrote:-shrugs- My bad... Didn’t notice it starting a flame war, though. Did I miss it?
Hopefully it won't! as long as no-one keeps stirring it. 8)
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

dillon wrote:-shrugs- My bad... Didn’t notice it starting a flame war, though. Did I miss it?
Lights match...

It should be "If I were a gambling man..." (The 'were' is Subjunctive.)

...runs for cover with fingers in ears...
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ha ha! Somebody else finally got nabbed by the grammar police!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

English is my second language but something felt odd about the title. I could not lay my finger on it. Then I remembered a song from the musical Fiddler on the roof: "If I were a rich man." I never saw the musical or the movie but the songs were all over the place when both were popular in the Netherlands. And do you know what happens when you hear something day in day out? You are going to dislike it, very dislike it, bordering on hate. :-(
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Now that's sad, BL. I saw the original West End (London) production of Fiddler with Topol playing the lead role. A very fine show indeed and I brought my parents to it as they were over visiting from Ireland.

When we got out I discovered to my horror that my car had been removed to the Battersea car pound and it cost me half the night and £80 to retrieve it. (A lot of money in the 60s). Meanwhile my parents were somewhat inconvenienced, you could say.
My tail end aft of the rear wheels was over the beginning of a double yellow line. Excuse enough for the contract car craners to make a quick buck out of me.

Although it spoiled the end of our evening it didn't diminish the enjoyment of the show or its music.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

pelmut wrote:
Lights match...

It should be "If I were a gambling man..." (The 'were' is Subjunctive.)

...runs for cover with fingers in ears...
If I WERE someone who condoned the use of plural pronouns for single individuals, I think I'd restrain myself from criticizing another's grammar.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

If someone is eluding to the word "they", whose singular use predates the first arrival of Europeans in the Americas, then one might find ones-self standing in a glasshouse. :-)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

You know, the uptick in grammar policing here lately is getting annoying. I don't see anyone here posting in the 1611 King James era English. I've read countless documents from over the last several centuries from major figures of the day, founders, lords, record keepers, etc, and I'm always blown away by the steady streams of misspellings and improper punctuation I read in those documents.

In the 19th century, most people couldn't even read, and could barely write their name. Then in the 20th century, with the establishment of the public education system, it seems we set the gold standard for the English language, and hence forth any further evolution is considered profane and vulgar. Nonsense!

Stop it. We're not writing for 5 star editorials and journals here. We are casual and infornal. We we are doing is splitting hairs. If someone's grammar bothers you, PM that person, it's rude to point the finger at someone in public and basically call them a grammar idiot. I don't mind being corrected, but nobody likes being called out in the open.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Grammar, Grammar...... We are some of the best writers left in the world here at the Cafe. Many today can not read cursive writing let alone write in it. Schools today are not teaching students proper English as we were. The use of electronic devices has caused so many shortcuts that sometimes I can not understand what the people of today are talking about.

BUT I do not worry about it because there is nothing I can do to force the schools to go back to teaching proper English or any other subject. I do not care how you were taught or what you were taught it has no bearing on the wearing of skirts. As long as we under stand each other it is just fine. I came from the area around Philly and moved to South Carolina after a year in Boloxi Mississippi and about 3 months in Texas. I never had a problem understanding what people were saying in any of these places.

So lets stop worrying about he, she, they, them or what ever and get beck to talking about skirts, dresses and anything that pertains to them.

Just my .02 worth.....
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, kids are doing the best they can. They are growing up in a system that bleeds the life right out of them, surrounded by world leaders who squabble of the stupidest things, living in a world with an already high and escalating cost of living while at the same time dealing with a lower standard of living.

The millennials aren't running the show yet, most of the major players (rulers) in the world are still old enough to be their grandparents. If kids are failing the world, it's because the world failed them first... they are, after all a direct product of their parents generation. "The greatest generation" (the parents of the boomers) were the ones who truly built the modern world. The boomers and x'ers cashed that out, and all generations following that are just doing the best they can with whatever scraps are left, trying their best to make it in a society, and governing system that doesn't give a damn about them.
-Andrea
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

SkirtsDad wrote:If someone is eluding to the word "they", whose singular use predates the first arrival of Europeans in the Americas, then one might find ones-self standing in a glasshouse. :-)
Well, you have every right to use “Old English,” if it pleases you. But times, and language, change. And in regard to the singular use of “they,” I doubt that it has been much used that way HERE since the arrival of Europeans.

Additionally, the US made a conscious and public effort in the early years of the last century to modify and simplify English as used in the US. This began around the time of the Theodore Roosevelt presidency. It’s why we perform labor and not labour. Also why the intonations of film actors became progressively less British over the first decade of “talkies.” So we left a lot of the stuffy pieces of British English tossed upon the roadside...deliberately.

There’s little doubt that language will continue to evolve. But using a normally plural pronoun as singular will still sound stupid for the foreseeable future. Just invent a new gender-free singular pronoun, okay? I will endeavor to use it when you do.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

When discussing grammar, please include "Punctuation" in the discussion.
I do have difficulty in reading some posts when the writer does not use
a period to end the sentence. I have to "guess" when the period was to be
used after I've read the post several times. Using the "Period" and "Comma"
in a sentence does make the writers thoughts much clearer, easier to
understand.

Oh well, just my $.02 worth ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)