Teenage boy turns up to school in a SKIRT

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Teenage boy turns up to school in a SKIRT

Post by Stu »

Teenage boy turns up to school in a SKIRT in protest after 'being taken out of lessons for wearing the wrong trousers'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... boola_feed
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Teenage boy turns up to school in a SKIRT

Post by moonshadow »

Another kid using a skirt to protest a uniform. Once he gets his way with the pants he wants he'll ditch the skirt.

Sorry... but this gets a yawn from me....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I expect that Moon is right. Probably a copy cat ploy borrowed from other protests.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

It's the Daily Wail, guys. That rag's about as reliable as Fox "News" as an input source. This is yet another tempest in a teapot. It'll pass once mummy buys the proper-sized trousers (when there's the money to do so) or, if the uniform calls for cr@p-grade wool, junior learns about legwear ("tights") as a barrier (a trick I wish I'd been man enough to do when faced with cr@p-grade wool trousers as a youngster).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Is it weird that this is the first thing I thought of when I saw the headline?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZrEzkLmgRM&t=32
Ralph!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

moonshadow wrote:Another kid using a skirt to protest a uniform. Once he gets his way with the pants he wants he'll ditch the skirt.

Sorry... but this gets a yawn from me....
Eh, maybe, but his complaint was about the discomfort of the new trousers. I bet he finds the skirt more comfortable....

Also, has anyone investigated the connections between the mandated supplier and the school? Who is getting a kickback?
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

So he's been able to rejoin his class daily in a skirt and the administration is fine with that. I think it's a win and others who find the regulation trousers are uncomfortable might join him.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

We all have our own reasons for coming here and diverse interests and aims. I am aware that some contributors here are interested in aspects related to gender fluidity /expression of femininity etc., but these aren't my interests. My concern is to see progress being made in breaking down the highly taboo of male>skirt which has persisted for the past few centuries in the western world in order to confer some degree of sartorial gender equality and ensure that members of my sex enjoy some of the choices that the opposite sex take for granted.

Just a decade ago, it would have been unthinkable that any boy would have gone to school in a skirt. Whatever reason a boy may have had for doing this, it would not have been tolerated by the school or his parents, and he would never have lived down the inevitable humiliation. However, in recent years, this has been challenged by the actions like this - protest. Such instances are no longer uncommon; this will have the effect of chipping away at the arbitrary and irrational taboo and we should welcome it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Above all remember that pants were invented so that one could ride a horse more comfortably. I do not ride horses so why should I wear pants??

As men is skirts we need to gather together more and be seen more in the public eye to help do away with stigma of a man wearing a skirt. If we can do this we can stop the harassment of men in skirts and make it a normal thing once again. I am sure there are more men in skirts than are members here. Lets promote the Cafe as much as possible to all men and maybe increase the public exposure.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Apologies to those who have seen me post this before, but I have made it my mission in life to link to this video (mildly NSFW - contains a single profanity) every time the Daily Mail gets mentioned in a thread. A fine piece of satire.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

FranTastic444 wrote:Apologies to those who have seen me post this before, but I have made it my mission in life to link to this video (mildly NSFW - contains a single profanity) every time the Daily Mail gets mentioned in a thread.
I do not believe that's been posted here before because I certainly would have remembered it. "It's absolutely true because I read it in the Daily Mail."

That's the sort of thing that can make one wet himself from laughing if not careful. Just sayin'.
A fine piece of satire.
Where, though, does satire in the modern world become indistinguishable from reality? That's a major reason that satire is largely dead in modern times.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The first thing that occurred to me on reading this is that the school authorities certainly aren't thinking about the parents or pupils in this. The THIRD uniform change in five years? Specifying only a single source for the boy's trousers? What were they thinking of with this? I thought that this type of thing went out in the 1960's. Also I noticed that the girl to his right is wearing a denim skirt. So is it single source trousers for the boys but the girls can wear anything?

Whilst I agree that this is done in protest and he may ditch the skirt on resolution I also agree that anything that reinforces the boy/man and skirt wearing has to be good.
Last edited by Sinned on Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Sinned wrote:Also I noticed that the girl to his right is wearing a denim skirt. So is it single source trousers for the boys but the girls can wear anything?
"The girl to his right" is his mom according to the caption, not a student.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Oh my God.... the kid is Ron Weasley.... red headed... comes from a poor family.....

I know I know.... I'm rotten! :lol: :twisted:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

FranTastic444 wrote:Apologies to those who have seen me post this before, but I have made it my mission in life to link to this video (mildly NSFW - contains a single profanity) every time the Daily Mail gets mentioned in a thread. A fine piece of satire.
Very apposite. I’ve shared it on Facebook.