‘I Basically Just Made It Up’

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

‘I Basically Just Made It Up’

Post by Dust »

A professor of "gender history" offers his mea culpa...

https://quillette.com/2019/09/17/i-basi ... uctionist/

Not a renunciation of everything, but an openness to other explanations, and an argument for more actual discussions and differing points of view being taken seriously. It also gives some insight into how ideological echo chambers operate. Worth the read IMHO.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: ‘I Basically Just Made It Up’

Post by Sinned »

From a quick scan it appears that, as most of the great unwashed do, he mixes up the things that we have discussed extensively here, sex, sexuality, gender, gender identity and social constructs, and seems to do it indiscriminately. So he talks about sex and gender as if they are the same thing, which they are not. He may be walking on this planet but his intellect and mind [0] are someplace else. I don't put much credence on what he said in the article apart from the fact that such "intellectuals" often just make up statistics and theories to fit their own world view and don't really have much relevance to "real life". He's an idiot and one that I can ignore. I disagree, not worth the time taken to read it, which is why I only scanned or speed read it. Much better use of people's time.

[0] No, they aren't the same thing either!
Last edited by Sinned on Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

"I basically just made it up"

I'd say if you trace back just about any social custom, you'd find someone who did just this.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

My initial "take" on the linked article, and another one I got most of the way through, is that there's more than a whiff of a reactionary bias to it.

I remain deeply sceptical about much of what's getting tossed around today "on campus" and in pop-science, but I also don't dismiss it out-of-hand. The linked article, and the other one as well, was an absolute repudiation of "modern theory" -- hence my interpretation of it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Sinned wrote:From a quick scan it appears that, as most of the great unwashed do, he mixes up the things that we have discussed extensively here, sex, sexuality, gender, gender identity and social constructs, and seems to do it indiscriminately. So he talks about sex and gender as if they are the same thing, which they are not. He may be walking on this planet but his intellect and mind [0] are someplace else. I don't put much credence on what he said in the article apart from the fact that such "intellectuals" often just make up statistics and theories to fit their own world view and don't really have much relevance to "real life".
The thing is, he doesn't. He's not the "great unwashed" and knows his stuff. He got his PhD in this stuff when it was new, and was one of the early advocates for the exact differences you are talking about.

He talks about how his history was accurate, but his conclusions weren't. He wasn't making up statistics, he was making up the conclusions from cherry-picked facts. I'm not sure he did much with statistics at all.

I would agree that much of the theories pushed out by itellectuals like this guy don't resemble "real life" but rather can have huge, often times disastrous, impacts on the real world when they escape the acedemic bubble.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

crfriend wrote:My initial "take" on the linked article, and another one I got most of the way through, is that there's more than a whiff of a reactionary bias to it.
He is in the process of walking away, so sure, but like I said, he didn't renounce all of it.
crfriend wrote:I remain deeply sceptical about much of what's getting tossed around today "on campus" and in pop-science, but I also don't dismiss it out-of-hand. The linked article, and the other one as well, was an absolute repudiation of "modern theory" -- hence my interpretation of it.
Sounds like a healthy scepticism. Articles written by journalists and columnists about science especially, are often just plain wrong, because they don't know what they are talking about. But there are reasons to be sceptical about the actual science at times, too. Especially the "soft sciences"...

I'm curious about the other article. Can you post a link here, or in a new thread? Or just PM me.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Dust wrote:Articles written by journalists and columnists about science especially, are often just plain wrong, because they don't know what they are talking about. But there are reasons to be sceptical about the actual science at times, too. Especially the "soft sciences"...
Well, for one, I do not regard any of the "soft sciences" (e.g. sociology or political science) as sciences at all. Science can be -- and sometimes is -- demonstrably wrong; in the the "soft" ones anything goes no matter how obviously wrong it is.
I'm curious about the other article. Can you post a link here, or in a new thread? Or just PM me.
That'd be the one on The New Patriarchy.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

He may have a PhD but that doesn't make him "intelligent", have common sense or have any experience of the "real world". In fact he could have even less experience if he's spent his postgraduate life in academia. It also doesn't exclude him from being one of the great unwashed. He's still talking a flavour of cr*p. I've read more sense and conversed with more erudite people on this site and learnt more.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:hmmm:
PhD....Piled Higher & Deeper :?:

:hide:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

What I consider good, is that he acknowledges that he was partially wrong and full of himself. I have seen many academics who aren't capable of stepping over themselves. The history of gender, a micky-mouse course somewhere?
Books by academics mostly are for 95% citations in order to provide the foundation for ones theories. Statistics are another means of providing proof, but like with questionairs, the answers given are mostly included in the way the question is put.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I like this statement about statistics. "Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination." A. E. Housman
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

Or, as I've heard in the past:-

'There are lies, damned lies and statistics'