Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Post by Grok »

I recall comments in other threads that skirts were disappearing from shops. I suppose that might discourage women from purchasing skirts to some degree.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

There were plenty of skirts in U K shops this year with the warm weather.....More than a couple of years ago.
Even in Sainsburys Supermarket with their T U range manufactured in Turkey.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Grok wrote:I recall comments in other threads that skirts were disappearing from shops. I suppose that might discourage women from purchasing skirts to some degree.
I was just in a local Walmart today. One rack of skirts. All the same midi length design. In three different color patterns.

Very slim pickings. I did not leave with one, yuck.

Skirt shopping for anyone is looking pretty bleak. If you want skirts, you got to go with second hand shop s.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Even the supermarkets are struggling with the current economic crisis.
I do not tend to use many shops in the local town , Helston , for browsing .
There are more skirts in the charity shops , some new and faulty with size incorrect labels . As I have said before ..
Charity Shops are for treasure hunters . Part of the fun of skirting .
K_Highlander

Post by K_Highlander »

Mishawakaskirt:
Have you tried Kohls? I have found plenty of skirts and skorts there.
I have cut out the shorts from the skorts.
Ken
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Grok wrote:The other day I noticed a co-worker wearing a skirt. She typically wears spray ons.

My first thought was that she was responding to the summer heat with a skirt. Then I noticed that she had her hands in the pockets of her skirt. The implication being that a woman's skirt has decent pockets.
Perhaps there was a double threshold to be crossed. A skirt might become an alternative during hot weather, but must include decent pockets?
I may be repeating myself...Latest stock in the racks in U.K......and I have seen it out on the street... Knee Length Button fastened shirt dresses and
bib and brace knee length dresses with two big pockets in the front below the waist. ...Unfortunately no top closing fastenings for pockets
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Allheart uniforms and Uniform Advantage (online). Are having sales on scrub skirts in several colors. Prices very from $7.50 to $9.00. They are light weight, very comfortable and have large pockets. They come in several colors. I have several of them and have them shortened to above the knees. The fit is excellent and very good fit. Some models have draw strings and others are elastic waist. I prefer elastic waist.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

During the last week I have seen three women out and about in skirts. Basically, the rig is skirt with tights and jacket.

Today I saw a woman wearing a short dress in multiple pastel colors, tights in multiple pastel colors, and an open coat. Looked like she dyed her hair in multiple colors too.

During each of these sightings the weather was overcast but dry, cool but not especially chilly.

The three women I mentioned first were wearing the sort of rig one might expect in early autumn-skirt with tights and jacket.

Possibly there is a marginally larger number of women in skirts this October compared to last October.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

Weather is still nice here, But that will not last much longer,
A good guess of what lady's are wearing here would break down like this

5 in 25 might be wearing skirt or dress .
half in skirts would have tights of some kind,
It would be safe to say more women were shorts then skirts out and about,
Toss in u see more women in black leggings or work out tights then u see in jean's
Most women go for what's comfortable and practical for what there doing.
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

mishawakaskirt wrote:Skirt shopping for anyone is looking pretty bleak. If you want skirts, you got to go with second hand shop s.
With the exception of the occasional hippie shop, I find that most retailers don't offer much when it comes to skirts, only thrift shops seem to have decent variety.

It begs the question though, where did these thrift shop skirts originate? I have a few from popular brands like CATO, old navy, dress barn, etc... but then I have a few from places I've never heard of... like "Southern Lady" for example...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Very slim pickings.

Skirt shopping for anyone is looking pretty bleak. .
And at least one member ordered a garment online, and was disappointed with the result.

I suggest learning how to make our own garments. DIY.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Recently , I passed a shop in Exeter U.K. which sells very expensive sewing machines .
The shop advertised Sewing Machine Courses , sewing classes and pattern making courses.....Perhaps there is a similar shop on your doorstep

Two local communities are running local craft groups including sewing . I am sure that if we pursue the matter ,
we will gain the knowledge and skill which we require .
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

moonshadow wrote:
mishawakaskirt wrote:Skirt shopping for anyone is looking pretty bleak. If you want skirts, you got to go with second hand shop s.
With the exception of the occasional hippie shop, I find that most retailers don't offer much when it comes to skirts, only thrift shops seem to have decent variety.

It begs the question though, where did these thrift shop skirts originate? I have a few from popular brands like CATO, old navy, dress barn, etc... but then I have a few from places I've never heard of... like "Southern Lady" for example...
Some of my skirts originate from India or China . They are probably 25 years old ...More modern garments on the U.K. Market are made in Pakistan ,Turkey
and Cambodia.....As far as I am aware , all these countries are home to the rag trade sweat shops for cheap labour .

Nowadays I am finding more new unsold stock passed to the Charity Shops .
I would suggest that more females are wearing skirts this year in my region . Very short skirts are in fashion this year .
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

weeladdie18 wrote:
moonshadow wrote:

Some of my skirts originate from India or China . They are probably 25 years old ...More modern garments on the U.K. Market are made in Pakistan ,Turkey
and Cambodia.....As far as I am aware , all these countries are home to the rag trade sweat shops for cheap labour .

Nowadays I am finding more new unsold stock passed to the Charity Shops .
I would suggest that more females are wearing skirts this year in my region . Very short skirts are in fashion this year .
I started to make some pessimistic remark about everything being made in China, but in fact many of my skirts are made in the U.S.A..

However I should clarify, I'm not talking about where they were manufactured, rather I'm wondering who was the original retailer?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

weeladdie18 wrote:Recently , I passed a shop in Exeter U.K. which sells very expensive sewing machines .
The shop advertised Sewing Machine Courses , sewing classes and pattern making courses.....Perhaps there is a similar shop on your doorstep
There is one in Bath.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.