Autumn Skirts In Cornwall

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Autumn Skirts In Cornwall

Post by weeladdie18 »

I am placing this topic in this section as we will have to consider changing our style of skirts as the weather changes and the temperature falls.
Monday 23 september will be the autumn equinox and the first day of Autumn.
I have been successfully wearing my summer skirts for some months so I will soon to consider life in the falling temperatures in S.W. Mainland U.K.

First I will add a second summer skirt with one hem lower than the other...then another slip and possibly change to wearing heavier skirts .
In the depths of last winter , I wore leggings under my skirts for a month . Temperature now 20 C with more rain on the way.

A couple of days ago we the last of the U.S. Hurricane which tracked its way across Mid Atlantic . We only had a force 7 Near Gale for a day.

It was reported by the Met Records that this time of year in 1919 Britain had a 32 C heat wave followed by frost and snow. So you never can tell.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Autumn Skirts In Cornwall

Post by new2skirts »

For autumn, the half slip is your friend :wink: I have bought some cami and knicker sets as well as more tights today as I went to Marks & Spencer... they are so desperate for custom, the tills were empty save for a few doing returns (gotta watch the linings on some of their skirts, but the underwear is to die for) and there are some nice stretchy pencil skirts of varying lengths and colours.

Skirt length is never a problem with the right underwear and tights. I naturally go for darker colours for work (grey / black tights or stockings with a grey skirt), but autumn usually means windy days, so no more floaty skirts or feminine dresses :roll:

Unless some days are in trousers, naturally a skirt is a little colder. Before we know it, it will be slippery leaves underfoot and digging out winter boots :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Believe it or not , Marks and Spencer closed their shop in Falmouth earlier this year.....many of their skirt sizings are larger in dimension than other suppliers
for their female size....Bought a pencil skirt in a 12 with a slim hip sizing......the sizing of different M and S styles does vary.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

In the colder weather I sometimes wear a heavier A Line Skirt with a full summer skirt underneath.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

This sunday evening was my last Kilted summer evening cliff walk. A sunny evening with the sea only just breaking white. Temperature down to 16 C .
Autumn tomorrow....only three months and the days will be drawing out again....then it will be Christmas .
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

Now that the weather is getting cooler I start to increase the layers under my skirt; sometimes wearing as many as five layers of cotton or poly cotton petticoats. In really cold weather I wear one of my fluffy multi layered tiered nylon petticoats under a denim skirt.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

skirtpettiman wrote:Now that the weather is getting cooler I start to increase the layers under my skirt; sometimes wearing as many as five layers of cotton or poly cotton petticoats. In really cold weather I wear one of my fluffy multi layered tiered nylon petticoats under a denim skirt.
Skirt Pettiman. You are my nearest neighbour . I live in a shanty town of timber buildings with thatched roofs , inhabited by pirates and smugglers .
Just south of Helston.....In March 2018 we had a 20 foot high tidal wave running two miles up the Helford river.

I bought a micro porous beach changing robe today , nearly down to my ankles . I am a wee laddie . ....As the rain and wind came in overnight
I wore this micro porous towelling garment over a sweater and under a sports jacket and under a full summer skirt with an elasticated waist .
A new move to stay warm in the falling temperatures.....see my beach robe thread.

Temperatures down with drizzle and showers...... plenty of wind again today ...... more rain tomorrow.
I must get out my 50 's style net petticoat and wear it with a full circle skirt .
I remember when the lassies wore this fashion style to the local flea pit ( cinema ) to watch their American idols performing on their live British tours.
Chuck Berry , Little Richard ,etc.

Net petticoat works well with one of my fuller denim skirts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Saturday was grey with plenty of wind...As I was going for my flue jab , I wore a knee length box pleated tweed skirt with my tweed sports jacket .
Perhaps a bit warmer than my summer skirts . Still have bare legs and white ankle socks with my male black shoes ...

Spent an hour down at one of the local harbours chatting with a lassie regarding dogs ,and our travels around the U.K.
Then another hour in a local shop discussing the three historic water mills in the village .

Off to the supermarket for lunch....I have spoken about the pinafore skirt as the latest fashion out on the street . Found one in my size or my chosen size ,
in the supermarket female fashion store . Ideal for wearing over a Thick sweater . I can only describe this garment as a straight denim tube
with a bib and brace top with adjustable shoulder straps...No adjustable waist fastenings ...Being a loose fit , I can wear the garment with a tunic top
or smock over the shoulder straps or wear a summer skirt underneath the knee length pinfore skirt .
I then found a patterned tunic top in a larger size which I can wear under or over this skirt. Try looking in Sainsburys supermarket in the U.K.

They also have runs of unsold stock at half price ....Like other fashion chains they are feeling the pinch ...Check out your local Saisburys T . U . Female Fashions .

All an Autumn interesting day out with no skirting problems . Weather is patchy every day with sunshine and showers
Temp between 15 and 23 c so still acceptable ...We are seeing the tail end of a Hurricane which has drifted across the Atlantic .

Last year my weather reports showed the temperature had dropped by the second week of October . That will be in a couple of weeks time .
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Rain and drizzle again on the last day of September....The latest Hurricane out in the Atlantic
should be approaching U.K. this weekend...Temperatures falling .

Sunray pleated black skirt today....Possible gale on Friday....this is advanced forecast .....might change later in the week.....
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Yesterday , Friday was a pleasant sunny day .Wind up to near gale with the passing of Hurricane Lorenzo...
Plenty of rain at night. ..!.5 Inches in a couple of days ..... Temperature still pleasant at 22 C
Less wind today ..possible rain at tea time
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

Nice discussion.
At this time of year I must say the denier of my tights goes up and I consider adding layering in terms of skirts, to my look.
Good luck with your skirt wearing in Cornwall and elsewhere.
H
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Daytime temperature now down to 15 C . Thunderstorms were forecast today but they did not mature .
I had time to pop into a shop which sells Indian Produce . Found rails of skirts dresses and male robes.
Took six off the rails and asked the helpful and Knowledgeable assistant if I could try them on.

One male garment looked like a striped male nightshirt ...Hardly the garment to go out on the street.
Then I found a second garment at half the price of the first , so my day was made....
Looked like some form of Male Caftan....Nice pattern...Square cut at the shoulders with V neck and sleeve holes...
Side seams were vertical with side vents rising from the ankle length hem to my calves.
The garment is full enough to wear over an underskirt , an ankle length female T shirt night , a knee length T shirt and a thick winter sweater .
The Caftan could then be worn under my male tweed sports jacket. .....This is what we mean when we talk about piling on the Layers .
There I even room to wear a heavy winter skirt under this male garment....good value at less than £ 20 ..........

It is worth checking out these Shops which sell Indian Clothes....This garment is a start for my male robe look rather than Dave ' s Designer Dress look .
It is Horses for Courses with regard to each males personal style approach ...
Next summer this over garment will be ideal with my female Roman Soldier Style of flat soled sandels ........
For this year I will wear turned down female white ankle sox and suitable black male shoes.....

As some of us have recently discussed ...we have to visualise the full Man in a skirt outfit
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

It would be useful to have the name and address of this Indian shop you're talking about especially if it's in Cornwall. I may pay a visit. A kaftan appeals to me in hot weather, a useful addition to my tie dye wrap skirts, so good for next summer but meanwhile I'll just stick to my denim skirts and heavy duty black kilts with the usual petticoats underneath for warmth.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Indian Caftan Shops
This one was in Penzance .. Half way up the main Drag opposite the Pound Store .There are a couple more up round the corner above the H.S.B.C. Bank.
There is another shop in a Trading Market in Falmouth between the ferry pier and Trago Mills / Maritime Museum Car Park.

I usually find 2 hours parking is long enough for me.

Might be a shop in St Austell , or Truro.....I will admit It is now end of season and I was lucky to find one free size caftan in Penzance....I was just lucky.

The light weight ankle length caftan is ideal to wear as an overgarment over a full ankle length skirt and sweater of winter weight. I wear it under
my heavy sports jacket . what we call " Proper Job "....We could set a "Proper Cornish ".... trend.....L.O.L. .....Best of luck in your random Searching....

I am certainly going to search for more Caftans across Cornwall in the Locations I have mentioned .Most of the staff are British
You might find a nice full length skirt with a lining in your travels ...Always ask as the clothing is often right at the back of the shop ...Beautiful Patterns.

Newquay and St Ives might have something....I must admit I just went into the PZ shop as I had a few minutes to spare.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

The Indian Caftan...The charity shops may get some end of stock lines if shops are closing down or relocating...

I found a new ankle length button fronted dress in an oversize for me ....in a charity shop....very difficult tell the difference between a Male Caftan
and a female dress....I like to stick to male garments ....My Kilt and my Caftan suit me fine...However I continually push the boundaries,......
out to breakfast in a Caftan ....then walking the cliffs in my Kilt ....temp 14 C to 17 C ..sunny patches and good stiff breeze .

Met a chap I know by sight , we exchanged greetings ...Then his lassie said " you are brave ,still wearing your shorts ..I gave up wearing mine a couple
of days ago " ....She was reprimanded by her partner...."He is wearing The Kilt " ....." I do apologise " ....she continued ....
" You are even braver to go Kilting in this weather "
So I raised my coat jacket so she could clearly see the hem and the pleats of my Kilt .....She gave me a big smile and went on her way.