The Job Hunt begins...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Job Hunt begins...

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:If I knew then what I know now, I'd likely have become a plumber with a speciality in HVAC systems.")
I'm close, a little light plumbing does come with the territory I cover, and though I no longer do refrigeration, I still retain the training and have the certification, it wouldn't take me long to sand the rust off and get back in the groove if I had to. The biggest problem is, my industry is not known for being "man skirt friendly". You literally have to work for large corporations with a wide range of progressive hiring policies. All of the "little mom and pop" repair establishments are pretty much out of the question. They find out about your personal life, and it's the old pink slip...

It's also not a field that makes a lot of money, rather the low end of "middle class". But on the other hand, when you don't generate large paychecks, you generally don't generate large expenses and bills. It's all about living within your means.

Good luck kingfish! Carl's advice about not getting too hung up on your occupation is sound. I've applied it a lot myself over the last few years.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

Freedomforall wrote: Hey my wife just reminded me they were bought by Leidos, who also employs electrical engineers. She suggests looking on their site as well. If you do apply, please let us know as she may be eligible for a recruiting bonus.
Nothing near me....Amarillo Texas? With kinfolk scattered all over that region? The odd irony is that last year at this time we finished concluding my late father's and sisters's affairs down there! That and I also don't have a top secret security clearance.
moonshadow wrote:
Good luck kingfish! Carl's advice about not getting too hung up on your occupation is sound. I've applied it a lot myself over the last few years.
Thanks for the advice and positive thoughts. My philosophy, even at my last employer has always been to do whatever I could to make a difference. Even though I'm an electrical guy with embedded electronic training, I was also their resident milling machine operator, mechanical guy, makerbot wizard, seamstress, and troubleshooter.

No job is too dirty.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Sorry to hear about your situation. We had a real uncomfortable situation when we came into work the other morning and a woman from HR (based in NYC) and a big boss (based in Europe) were in the office. We knew that somebody was going to get 'bad news' that day - not a pleasant day at work.

If you can code, have you thought about trying something different such as developer (or even tech support) for either the financial services or medical industries?

Both sectors seem to be recruiting heavily right now in Boston.

Are you on LinkedIN? If you set up a profile and mark yourself as actively looking for a new position, you will get interest from recruiters.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

kingfish, I really feel for you. Unemployment can be soooooo demoralising and depressing. I have had periods and it engenders total feelings of worthlessness. And the longer you are out of work the worse it gets and the more your experience, knowledge and skills get diluted if you don't keep your hand into something affiliated as Carl did. Unfortunately all I can offer is good wishes and the hope that you get your mind in order and find a better position soon.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

It's all but official. With any luck,I should be back on the earning column on Monday.

I've been offered a "contract" position with a medical research tools place roughly 5 minutes from my house. I'll be writing/fixing software that sit inside bio research lab tools, like syringe pumps, in order to control their motors (among other things) do timing functions, and (of course) run some little display on the front.

The "contract" thing is is more a "contract-to-hire" model to enable a no-fault/no-repurcussion termination if things don't work out. For example, if they decide I stink, they can just end the contract and they don't have to deal with the regulatory business of firing or laying me off, and on my end, it will look like an end of gig, no implied negativity.

It has been called by my sister as the "3 month job interview", and I'm pretty doggone certain I can prove myself. It's funny, when I got laid off, her husband said it'll be 3 months until I land the next one. Who would have thought it would have been pretty much to the day. March 11th: last day at old job...June 11th: News of offer on the table.

To say I'm excited is an understatement. Back to writing code kind of feels like once you've "gone to to the dark side", there's no going back. Or to quote an old mobster movie: "Once I thought I was out...THEY....DREW...ME...BACK...IN!"

Now if only the Bruins can score 3 goals in the next 20 minutes.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Congratulations! It sounds like interesting work.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Kingfish,
Good Luck!
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That's excellent news, Sir. Congratulations! Luck, I don't think needs offering; your skills should prove more than adequate, but just to be safe I'll try to send you some anyway.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Congratulations, sir. Three months between assignments is not bad nowadays in this toxic environment. I realise that my current employment will likely be my last and I'm not unduly disappointed at that. It's better than some in the retail industry and there's very little stress associated with the role. But my pension prospects that I have built up over a lifetime of blood, sweat and tears look to be enough to give us a good standard of living when I do tire of working. But not yet.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Four weeks in...

Post by kingfish »

It feels like I'm on final approach, passing the outer marker, runway straight ahead, gear down and in the green.

Friday, I talked with the immediate boss regarding what's going on and got reminded the extent of how far behind stuff is. He did voice appreciation regarding the meticulous nature that I'm taking on the bug-swatting and looking forward to my applying that attitude to the new product that's been on hold for far too long, and then related the pressure he's feeling regarding that schedule.

On the dress code front, I did test the waters on July 2nd, they did a "Red, white, and blue" themed day. I took the opportunity to go with my royal stewart sport kilt, white polo shirt, and a pair of stars & stripes patterned OTK socks. I got plenty of positive comments. Only one comment came even close to negative from the director of engineering, which I attribute to the pattern clash between the kilt and socks.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Four weeks in...

Post by r.m.anderson »

kingfish wrote:It feels like I'm on final approach, passing the outer marker, runway straight ahead, gear down and in the green.

Friday, I talked with the immediate boss regarding what's going on and got reminded the extent of how far behind stuff is. He did voice appreciation regarding the meticulous nature that I'm taking on the bug-swatting and looking forward to my applying that attitude to the new product that's been on hold for far too long, and then related the pressure he's feeling regarding that schedule.

On the dress code front, I did test the waters on July 2nd, they did a "Red, white, and blue" themed day. I took the opportunity to go with my royal stewart sport kilt, white polo shirt, and a pair of stars & stripes patterned OTK socks. I got plenty of positive comments. Only one comment came even close to negative from the director of engineering, which I attribute to the pattern clash between the kilt and socks.
Only one comment came even close to negative from the director of engineering, which I attribute to the pattern clash between the kilt and socks
And what was he wearing to cast the first stone ?

If you are going to wear a full dress kilt then by all means observe the protocol of coordinating your outfit - - -
For casual kilt wearing just don't over do it - you do want to sort of blend in and yet be colorful enough to not go missing - - -
so regarding those socks maybe it was a bit over the top - you didn't have a feather in your cap and call it macaroni LOL !
But then here at the SC we do like to throw the rule book away on occasion - CONGRATS on breaking the ice - onward and skirtward ah er kiltward !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Six Months to the day!

Post by kingfish »

Today, received the official letter offering me full time regular employment at Harvard Biosciences, the company I've been doing "contract work" at for the past three months. I want to thank everyone for the moral support, especially the likes of Carl. It's just about time for me to buy you that tall cold frosty one!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Congratulations :!:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

What Al said many times over!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Well done, Kingfish! Congratulations.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!