"They're all gonna laugh at you!"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: "They're all gonna laugh at you!"

Post by crfriend »

I'm pretty sure I've been laughed at before, but quite honestly I cannot bring up any memory of the incidents. For one, humans laugh, and it's a sound you'll hear fairly commonly in a mentally healthy society, so it may not even have anything to do with you. Second, even if was clearly directed at you, one takes the source into account and one decides what to do with the situation. Sometimes it's fun to engage and wrap their brains into twine; sometimes it's best to ignore the whole thing and get on with life. It's never worth getting upset about unless there is physical threat present -- and that is vanishingly rare.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:For one, humans laugh, and it's a sound you'll hear fairly commonly in a mentally healthy society, so it may not even have anything to do with you.
True, but usually when they're looking my way, while trying not to stare, pointing their finger and cackling with their friend(s)... its kind of a given as to what's going on.
crfriend wrote:'s never worth getting upset
Never upset, sometimes just annoyed.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Steve, the main factors in our trying Aldi was that the store was so close to us and I had been reading in the press about how good value and quality their produce were. So the new store gave us an opportunity to try them at least once. We've shopped there a couple of times a week ever since. I would shop there skirted as I have done in ASDA, when on my own but MOH won't go out with me in a skirt so I suppose no, skirts didn't enter into the decision to change our shopping allegiance.

And to fit in with the general theme of the thread, I haven't knowingly had anyone laugh at me for wearing a skirt. Apparently a while ago I wore a skirt when visiting my store as a customer and was behind the checkout talking to my comrades when a lady starting saying how disgusting it was for me to be wearing a skirt and I should be shown out of the store. I didn't know that this was going on as it wasn't in my immediate vicinity and one of my colleagues ushered HER out of the store for her behaviour. I didn't find out about this until earlier this week. My colleagues are generally quite supportive of my skirt wearing. I just wish that MOH was.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote:Apparently a while ago I wore a skirt when visiting my store as a customer and was behind the checkout talking to my comrades when a lady starting saying how disgusting it was for me to be wearing a skirt and I should be shown out of the store.
I've overheard people say I was disgusting a few times too.

I've never understood that either... what's so disgusting about just wearing a skirt??

Their bigotry is what's disgusting, it basically describes everything that's wrong with the world.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

The haters are going to hate no matter what we try to do to make being human more comfortable. I had a suggestion given to me that we should carry a can of red spray paint and use it on the haters. I said that would not work as all it would do is get you thrown in the lock up.

My advice is to just ignore the idiots and go about our business as usual keeping our heads held high above them. Not being down at their level so others will see them for what they are, hate filled slobs.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.