awaiting execution

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

awaiting execution

Post by dillon »

Dorian1.png
That's what it feels like, anyway, and will for the next few days. The combination of certainty and uncertainty is what adds stress to the preparations. I've always said the scariest thing about Katrina, in Louisiana and Mississippi, was...was knowing that one day it not only could be us, but WOULD be us..

Last year, with Florence, despite being totally isolated by flooding, my home fared better than I did. I ended up with a shattered right wrist and pulled ligament in my left leg. When my wife retires, in a year, we will start relocating, and although we'll remain in a coastal city, we will be in a situation less vulnerable to the ravages of a storm. The bulk of my life will then be moved 3 1/2 hours inland...to my farm in the piedmont of SC, away from the worst effects. We have been here at the coast for 20 years, and raised our family in this home. It saddens me to leave, but you can't halt the inevitable. Maybe if we had had courageous leadership in the 1990s...when we might have effectively acted...or had any honest leaders ever since. Clearly, it's far, far worse today.

With the undeniable and rapidly advancing pace of climate change, this storm situation is only going to worsen. With the sea level now rising even faster than the models had predicted, our barrier islands will become too saturated to sustain structures, and any structures on them will be repeatedly destroyed. Portions of them will simple dissolve into the ocean, like a sand castle washed away by the tide. As the waters warm, the Gulf Stream expands and also slows, making us all the more vulnerable. It just ain't the place it used to be...

If you look at the image, let your eyes move due west of the first (in the path) "H" symbol on the map and about 20 miles inland. That's where I live.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: awaiting execution

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:If you look at the image, let your eyes move due west of the first (in the path) "H" symbol on the map and about 20 miles inland. That's where I live.
Good luck, Dillon -- and if the call comes to evacuate, do so. You're in for a serious blow and soaking. Check the rain-potential map as well as the predicted eye-position. The real meat, if you're interested in meteorology, is in the "discussion" section which lays things out quite nicely.

Fred's a bit "down" the coast from you in South Carolina, and I know some folks in Florida who I hope will be OK. It has the potential to be a mess. We shall see what happens.

I'm not convinced that humans can really do anything about this; however, we would be committing a serious error by not doing anything -- even if the change is not the fault of humankind (recall that we are climbing out of the last ice age). Climate change is definitely real, and it's happening quickly enough that noticeable impacts have happened within living memory of lots of folks. Since we're the only species on the planet with the technology to potentially slow this down it behooves us to act -- and act wisely. However, even if we do, it still may not be enough; but we need to try.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I am about 100 miles inland and I have supplies to last a week stored up.. Hopefully it will stay far enough off the coast that all we get is rain and very little wind. Since I live in a tin can (mobile home) I do not need the wind.
To all of the members who are on the track of the storm please be safe. If asked to leave your area do so, We are a shelter area for most of the coastal regions.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

dillon wrote:
Dorian1.png

If you look at the image, let your eyes move due west of the first (in the path) "H" symbol on the map and about 20 miles inland. That's where I live.
So somewhere near Willmington ?

I have done a considerable amount of golfing in the Southern Pines Aberdeen area south of Raleigh Durham.
When it rains it pours - floods briefly and then the sandy based soil soaks it all up game on keeping the golf
carts off the yet drying fairways - but the lightening strikes holy cow - hit a power pole and torched a car
parked underneath what an explosion just a few feet from us hunkered down in a club house.

Take care - stay safe - give all respect to mother nature and don't play with a -1- iron in a storm !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Not a nice situation for you. I wish you luck.
I don't think that I could live in a place that was subject to that sort of weather. We just have slow disasters; heat and drought.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Thanks for the well-wishes. The storm is, for the moment, a bit slower, but wider. If it would just come ahead and blow on through, we'd be fine. The thing about our current state of climate is that it slows hurricanes to a crawl, and that worsens the flooding. I have been through a Cat 2 storm or two before. Lots of tree damage always, but the severity of flooding depends on the path and speed of forward motion. We are inside the sustained 70 to 80 mph wind zone prediction, which means gusts in excess of 100 mph. Just keeping my fingers crossed and sharpening my chain saws.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

r.m.anderson wrote:
dillon wrote:
Dorian1.png

So somewhere near Willmington ?
I live about 40 miles north of Wilmington, but own some properties in Wilmington, mostly AirBNB apartments, but one we have not rented but held for our own use, and for family and friends. Wilmington is Americas best kept secret, as a cultural and entertainment hub. It's a less gaudy and safer version of Beale Street. My farm is 180 miles west, near Lancaster SC, south of Charlotte.
K_Highlander

Post by K_Highlander »

Dillon, stay safe. My son is on his way back to Melbourne, FL after evacuating last Friday.
Thought you might enjoy this:
IMG_5860.JPG
Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

K_Highlander wrote:Dillon, stay safe. My son is on his way back to Melbourne, FL after evacuating last Friday.
Thought you might enjoy this:
IMG_5860.JPG
Ken
LMAO!!! Ain't that the livin' truth! You managed to cheer me right up.