Getting there?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Getting there?

Post by rivegauche »

I keep seeing men in shorts and tights, something that would have raised eyebrows ten years ago. This garb is now regarded as normal - no one reacts. Importantly, the men wearing these tights think they are doing something normal and not breaking any taboos. Then, when you think about it, when we wear skirts .... no one reacts but there is a realisation that we are breaking with tradition. I think it is just a question of more of us doing this to make it as 'normal' as the main in tights and shorts. We must be nearly there.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Getting there?

Post by JeffB1959 »

You could be right about us being nearly there. But, then again, it could also be said that the public at large is apathetic to men in skirts, too wrapped in their own lives and affairs to pay much, if any attention to us. Hell, I parade around in dresses and no one cares. However, that indifference could also be seen as a positive in terms of acceptance as people don’t get worked up about us wearing clothes from the women’s side of the aisle. Well, that’s my opinion anyway.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I doubt skirt wearing men will ever catch on with the masses, but that's okay, as long as they leave me alone to do my thing.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I have the feeling I am getting there. I still have some road to travel but most of it is a matter of time. If "they" are getting there is not very important to me. It is their loss.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I've not seen men in shorts and tights, and seldom see any in skirts or kilts...unless I look in the mirror. But I like the idea and may try it out whenever the weather cools enough to wear tights...probably late November.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

JeffB1959 wrote:You could be right about us being nearly there. But, then again, it could also be said that the public at large is apathetic to men in skirts, too wrapped in their own lives and affairs to pay much, if any attention to us. Hell, I parade around in dresses and no one cares. However, that indifference could also be seen as a positive in terms of acceptance as people don’t get worked up about us wearing clothes from the women’s side of the aisle. Well, that’s my opinion anyway.
“You will become way less concerned with what other people think of you when you realize how seldom they do.” -David Foster Wallace, from Infinite Jest.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Define "tights"

Do you mean with feet, or some kind of athletic wear? Solid fabric,that is opaque, or sheer?
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

partlyscot wrote:Define "tights"

Do you mean with feet, or some kind of athletic wear? Solid fabric,that is opaque, or sheer?
All those qualify as tights, but I'll presume, in a fashion sense, it is the same as women have been wearing beneath shorts, usually denim cutoffs (Daisy Dukes), which would be other than lycra athletic tights, or knit leggings. Something measured by denier, probably. Typically black. I have a pair of theatrical fishnet tights I might consider.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

JeffB1959 wrote:However, that indifference could also be seen as a positive in terms of acceptance as people don’t get worked up about us wearing clothes from the women’s side of the aisle. Well, that’s my opinion anyway.
Yes, I think it is a positive; better than people caring in a negative way.
moonshadow wrote:I doubt skirt wearing men will ever catch on with the masses, but that's okay, as long as they leave me alone to do my thing.
It would be sad if something had to become poular for people to wear it without criticism.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

I've not seen men with tights and shorts but on several occasions, seen men with 'distressed' jeans (ie with holes and ripped areas)and it was obvious through these holes and rips, that the fellow was wearing black opaque tights.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

Went out for a meal the other day with my parents wearing shorts with tights ,I thought they wouldn't notice but they made several comments .I asked them if they were ok with it ,mum said yes she said it's the skirt i have a problem with .
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

eightofnine wrote:Went out for a meal the other day with my parents wearing shorts with tights ,I thought they wouldn't notice but they made several comments .I asked them if they were ok with it ,mum said yes she said it's the skirt i have a problem with .
But you were not wearing a skirt, correct? I'm missing something here...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

moonshadow wrote:
eightofnine wrote:Went out for a meal the other day with my parents wearing shorts with tights ,I thought they wouldn't notice but they made several comments .I asked them if they were ok with it ,mum said yes she said it's the skirt i have a problem with .

she just meant that she has a problem with me when i wear a skirt
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

eightofnine wrote:
moonshadow wrote:

she just meant that she has a problem with me when i wear a skirt
Oh yeah, I see where I misread. My apologies.

My mom's the same way.
-Andrea
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

Maybe I'm drifting a bit, but a guy, wearing fancy cowboy boots and strategically ripped jeans asked my why I was wearing a kilt, even though I'm not a Scot. I looked at his boots and replied, why are you wearing cowboy boots, even though you aren't a cowboy, and don't even have a horse. He replied, it's fashionable and he likes the look and feel. I replied, that is exactly why I'm wearing a skirt. He agreed that it was the same thing, just he hadn't seen it before.

I think we are getting there.