Hiking Skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Freefrom

Re: Hiking Skirt

Post by Freefrom »

These are comfy too, I've been wearing them for most of this summer. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/nh100-women ... 92506.html
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

Freefrom wrote:These are comfy too, I've been wearing them for most of this summer. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/nh100-women ... 92506.html
Dont you just hate it when it says "women's"?? Time gender-specific names were outlawed unless there's a darned good reason.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

howardfh wrote:Dont you just hate it when it says "women's"?? Time gender-specific names were outlawed unless there's a darned good reason.
The problem here is that in this context "women's" can mean two different things. One -- and the one we guys tend to focus on -- is the "gendering" of the garment; the second refers to the sizing of the garment.

Female-marketed clothing comes in roughly four classes: children's, juniors, misses, and women's in roughly increasing measures of size and fullness of cut. Juniors sizes occupy the odd-numbered sizes (or at least they seem to in the US), and misses and women's sizes the even. The "women's" sizes are cut fuller than those of the misses to represent the correct figure for a mature woman rather than the immature figure of a teenager (or the hyper-fit).

Wikipedia has a nice write-up on the matter is you believe that sort of thing.

In any event, sizing is a mess right now for anybody in the US who wears female-marketed clothing thanks to things like the overt body-shaming moniker of "plus" sizes (20 and up) and the vanity-sizing of cutting smaller numerical sizes larger to make the larger-bodied types feel better about themselves in the face of social convention which currently embraces the teenage-male as the ideal figure for women. Go figure. For instance, if the standard charts are to be believed, I'd be a size 17 (which doesn't exist as misses sizes stop at 15) or 18; however, in practice, I wear a 14. Fun data-point: Marilyn Monroe wore a 16, and would be considered obese by modern standards -- and she was quite a bit more svelte than I am. It doesn't make sense any more -- and don't expect sizes to be published based on repeatable physical measurements, either; there's too much "mass in motion" with the current "system" and having to face real measurements would likely horrify much of the population which, for the most part, has let itself go to pot.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

howardfh wrote:
Freefrom wrote:These are comfy too, I've been wearing them for most of this summer. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/nh100-women ... 92506.html
Dont you just hate it when it says "women's"?? Time gender-specific names were outlawed unless there's a darned good reason.
'Dont you just hate it when it says "women's"??'

No, not really.
Clothing salesmen have enough problems offering skirts to fit just one half of the world population, let alone 'us'.
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

My favourite hiking skirt is a Craghoppers Nosilife bought last year. I want the same again but the design has changed so that the waist level pockets with a very useful key lanyard have been replaced with pockets on the thighs!!! Imagine a long walk with keys constantly banging against your leg!
Why do they change things for the worst? If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

skirtedbrit, as someone who works in retail change is ingrained. Ranges die out and are replaced with new designs and patterns. Otherwise the rate of sale of a range drops over time so is replaced before it gets to the stage of being uneconomic to produce. Clothes follow this rule but with even shorter lead times. Primark for example with buy so many thousand of a range in the various sizes and once they are gone then that's it - you'll never see them again. So with the hiking kilt - the line will have been ordered and sold. Full stop. Shame I know but then that's the nature of retail.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

Mainly for UK/Australian members (but there are international size equivalents):
https://www.marksandspencer.com/c/size- ... sizeguides
Familyman34
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

familyman34 wrote:Mainly for UK/Australian members (but there are international size equivalents):
https://www.marksandspencer.com/c/size- ... sizeguides

Thanks for that measurement guide - it gives a comparison to work out the details

NOTE:
When using this chart page down further for the international conversions -
Disregard the Rule of 20 and the 2 size factor in converting USA to UK/AU/NZ -
THE SIZE FACTOR IS now a -4-
I.E. USA size 12 (rule of 20) = 32 inches = formerly a UK 14 = 31.75 inches now a UK 16 with the measurements ? = 34 inches

YMMV - there is no real industry standard in clothing measurements except the yard/meter stick

Use the carpenters measurement rule - measure twice and cut once - is the best method
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

howardfh wrote:Dont you just hate it when it says "women's"?? Time gender-specific names were outlawed unless there's a darned good reason.
Freefrom wrote:No, not really. Clothing salesmen have enough problems offering skirts to fit just one half of the world population, let alone 'us'.
Let's face the fact that "us" are not regarded by the majority of the population as potential skirt purchasers.
Until that changes, ignore the label and cross the aisle or pay the premium for a manskirt.
Steve.
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

I bought the Maramot Ginny skirt its been great out about on holiday in hot places .
https://www.outdoorbrands.nl/epages/Out ... -1132-0001