Man-cami

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Man-cami

Post by Gusto10 »

Sinned wrote:A cami is such a simple garment and a man can wear one, I do often, and we wouldn't put "woman" as a prefix for any garment [0] so why should we pander to male insecurities [1] by adding "man" as a prefix to anything. Seems a bit crass to me. A cami is a tube worn on the upper body, generally plain with a low neckline and back and spaghetti straps. No, leave it out and just call it a cami. I wouldn't put "man" in front of "skirt" either. It's a skirt goddammit!!!!

[0] Pointless as a woman can wear ANY garment and it not be thought odd.
[1] Poor things, don't we feel sorry for them.
Sorry to say so, but in advertisements for skirts you will see most times that the text runs "womens skirt", thus implying that skirts for men, other than a kilt, exist. As a cami hasn't got the prefix of "women's" one might state that it's gender neutral attire and therefore there is no need for words like manisole etc.. If you would, than a cami for women would be a wamisole or something like that. As society is becoming more genderless, I do second your - Sinned - suggestion to leave out the prefixes of men's or women's when discussing attire.

@John, I believe Walmart does carry a bra for men: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-Aware-S ... /426343592
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

Gusto10 wrote: Sorry to say so, but in advertisements for skirts you will see most times that the text runs "womens skirt", thus implying that skirts for men, other than a kilt, exist. As a cami hasn't got the prefix of "women's" one might state that it's gender neutral attire and therefore there is no need for words like manisole etc.. If you would, than a cami for women would be a wamisole or something like that. As society is becoming more genderless, I do second your - Sinned - suggestion to leave out the prefixes of men's or women's when discussing attire.
I am just loving wamisole and manisole. :D
Thanks for all your nice comments.
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Sinned wrote:A cami is such a simple garment and a man can wear one, I do often, and we wouldn't put "woman" as a prefix for any garment [0] so why should we pander to male insecurities [1] by adding "man" as a prefix to anything. Seems a bit crass to me. A cami is a tube worn on the upper body, generally plain with a low neckline and back and spaghetti straps. No, leave it out and just call it a cami. I wouldn't put "man" in front of "skirt" either. It's a skirt goddammit!!!!

[0] Pointless as a woman can wear ANY garment and it not be thought odd.
[1] Poor things, don't we feel sorry for them.
Well said! I wore a cami for the first time ever on an outing yesterday and enjoyed the experience which included showing of my, ahem...."man cleavage"! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Gusto10 wrote:Sorry to say so, but in advertisements for skirts you will see most times that the text runs "womens skirt", thus implying that skirts for men, other than a kilt, exist.
They are making the distinction between girls and women, not between women and men.

That Walmart makes a bra for men is mindblowing. However, the page it appears on is under the category
"Clothing/Women/Womens Lingerie & Shapewear/Womens Bras/Bras"

The word "women" appears 3 times in that path. I have to wonder if those bras are only available online.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

JeffB1959 wrote:I wore a cami for the first time ever on an outing yesterday and enjoyed the experience which included showing of my, ahem...."man cleavage"! :lol:
Heh, maybe we should use the prefix "man" for something in every reply to Dennis, just to mess with him!

I wear camis for sleeping exclusively over any other kind of top, and I don't think a day has gone by in months where I wasn't wearing one during the day at some point. I am almost surprised that they aren't already a staple of men's wear, sold right beside tank tops and t-shirts (both of which I find horrid garments, btw).
Daryl...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Jeff, well done but the ones I wear don't have the "V" front - just a slightly curved one. Does yours have the adjustable straps? I find that camis come in two flavours - the slightly more expensive ones have adjustable straps and the cheaper ones don't. Having said that there isn't a vast difference in price.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Sinned wrote:Jeff, well done but the ones I wear don't have the "V" front - just a slightly curved one. Does yours have the adjustable straps? I find that camis come in two flavours - the slightly more expensive ones have adjustable straps and the cheaper ones don't. Having said that there isn't a vast difference in price.
Mine don’t have adjustable straps. I don’t know if I’ve already mentioned this, but I bought that cami at Sears, two for eight bucks, I have them in black, navy, white and turquoise. I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on something I wasn’t sure I’d like, but I do, especially the deep plunging neckline.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Daryl wrote:
Gusto10 wrote:Sorry to say so, but in advertisements for skirts you will see most times that the text runs "womens skirt", thus implying that skirts for men, other than a kilt, exist.
They are making the distinction between girls and women, not between women and men.

That Walmart makes a bra for men is mindblowing. However, the page it appears on is under the category

The word "women" appears 3 times in that path. I have to wonder if those bras are only available online.
So what do they look like? I wear a bra, and I've learnt to just go to the lingerie section. and find what I like the look of and fit of - but it took attitude to begin with. I can imagine marketing this concept would be extremely hard because the target audience is small, and its such a personal sensitive subject. Its actually bloody hard to wear a bra. Woman/Man its a big self-conscious thing to go through to wear your first bra. I was so nervous.

On the cami subject - Camis are great options - I think anybody should and can wear them. You don't need boobs for one - they are such a practical layering garment! Awesome in summer under a top, great in the heat on their own. There is no difference between a singlet and a cami other than the straps are thinner - and perhaps the neckline is squarer cut - but really thats hardly anything. If a cami has a hidden shelf in it - which is common then theres a double layer over the chest - which is not a bad thing for man chests either.

Women wear singlets - oversize singlets, tees - why can't men wear camis? I see no issues.

NZF
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

One particular reason I've gravitated to camisoles is because they look more feminine than tank tops, even the styes aimed at women. And, like I said in a previous post, I've come to like the deep plunging neckline of a cami, especially the ones I bought.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Hiya JeffB

yes the lines are nice. I like the squarer neckline and that square line across my chest. Its a nicer look than aboatneck or higher neckline.
If you like low cut necklines - you should try a plunge to your tummy button! I've got a couple of dresses that plunge that low - and its scary - well its just so unlike mens clothes to show so much skin.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Perhaps my recent fondness for plunging necklines satisfies my need to be daring when I wear skirts and dresses. I mean, I have no problem sporting hemlines as small as 15 inches, so why not show off my man cleavage? HA! Short and sweet, it’s fun!
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Well JeffB,

you've certainly got the legs for a short skirt/dress! And you do look good in your outfits so why not wear a cami/plunge if you want to?
even bare shoulders etc is so much cooler in summer than mens clothes that are all covered up!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

nzfreestyler wrote:Well JeffB,

you've certainly got the legs for a short skirt/dress! And you do look good in your outfits so why not wear a cami/plunge if you want to?
even bare shoulders etc is so much cooler in summer than mens clothes that are all covered up!
Funny thing, when I first began wearing skirts/dresses, the idea of wearing minis was a serious nonstarter since I didn't have the confidence to sport something so daringly short. In fact, the first time I had worn a miniskirt, I was afraid to sit in the damn thing for fear of it riding up, today, I could care less if it does, I just LOVE showing off my long legs, maybe I'm an exhibitionist! Heh! Speaking of same, yeah, bare shoulders is so much more comfortable on a hot day, but that too was something I only recently came to enjoy and appreciate, today, I'm having a blast wearing spaghetti strap dresses and camisoles!
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

me in a yellow cami and skirt last summer (still winter here - too cold brrrrrrrrr)
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

nzfreestyler wrote:
Daryl wrote:

So what do they look like? I wear a bra, and I've learnt to just go to the lingerie section. and find what I like the look of and fit of - but it took attitude to begin with. I can imagine marketing this concept would be extremely hard because the target audience is small, and its such a personal sensitive subject. Its actually bloody hard to wear a bra. Woman/Man its a big self-conscious thing to go through to wear your first bra. I was so nervous.

On the cami subject - Camis are great options - I think anybody should and can wear them. You don't need boobs for one - they are such a practical layering garment! Awesome in summer under a top, great in the heat on their own. There is no difference between a singlet and a cami other than the straps are thinner - and perhaps the neckline is squarer cut - but really thats hardly anything. If a cami has a hidden shelf in it - which is common then theres a double layer over the chest - which is not a bad thing for man chests either.

Women wear singlets - oversize singlets, tees - why can't men wear camis? I see no issues.
NZF
Well, on the fellow in the Walmart page for that man-bra, it looks silly IMO, because that fellow has nothing to put in the bra. I have more up top than he does and still no reason to wear a bra. I have tried a sports bra and I like the hug around that group of muscles and my back quite a bit, but it has nothing to do with supporting my breasts. Your breasts, OTOH, could fill a bra enough to actually have some worthwhile effect and/or convenience, I imagine. They should have had you model it, not Mr. All-pecs-no-breasts.

The relationship of bras to their wearers is complex. They are at once intended to conceal and reveal, in addition to support, shape and frame. The equation for men, especially men not seeking to become or be identified as women, is bound to be different because the social norms are so different (not to mention the more natural urges). All of which is to say, "congratulations, you are officially a pioneer." :D

Agree totally on camis. I see no issues. Sell the things as men's wear, using heavily muscled models, and they will take off in the market place, but if men have to buy "women's" clothes to get them, all bets are off. Some sports logos or camouflage patterns, or skulls or liquour or beer or motorcycle branding would hellp too. :lol:
Daryl...