Question for UK Members

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Question for UK Members

Post by Freedomforall »

I found this lady and her unisex designs. She hails from the UK. Has anyone heard of her? The prices are extremely high. I like a few of the designs, but would have to win the lottery to afford anything on the site. I found several of her unisex dresses on Ebay. The prices are still a small fortune. https://www.viviennewestwood.com/en/unisex/clothing/
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Question for UK Members

Post by FranTastic444 »

Has anyone heard of her?

She is best known for her association with the Punk movement. Lots to read about her here.

I would say that she is well known to many people from mid 40's in age upwards, but anyone younger than that may not have heard of her.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Associated with Malcolm McLaren and the punk movement. One of those fashion designer icons along with Versace et al and in the same price bracket. If you need to ask the price, you can't afford them. Her design are of the catwalk variety and not really wearable. She herself dresses rather flamboyantly!!!!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

These people add variety and appeal to a niche market only. Gimme the cheapies any day. I don't need to impress anyone.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Kirbstone wrote:These people add variety and appeal to a niche market only. Gimme the cheapies any day. I don't need to impress anyone.

Tom
Tom you have reached a whole level of impressionism just by yourself. I admire anyone who is as active as you!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Dear FFA, I only wish I could favourably impress MOH. In her company skirting for me is forbidden, so all my fun in that area is indeed all by myself....at home, that is.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

This post reminds me, a few years back I used to do a lot of work in the City of London and I spent a lot of time at an apartment in Bermondsey, just off Long Lane.

Zandra Rhodes, another fashionista associated with the Punk movement had an association with the nearby Fashion and Textile Museum. We saw her from time to time going into / coming out of the building as well as mooching around Borough Market and London Bridge tube station. She is not difficult to spot!

kiltguyire

Post by kiltguyire »

I remember before I started skirting I saw a photo of Andreas Kronthaler getting off a plane with Vivien and he was in skirt and tights that was almost 20 years ago, he wears skirts a lot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I was surprised to see that she was associated with the punk movement because the blurb I had read about her put her more in the haute couture category.

I was interested because I had bought one of her silk dresses on Poshmark and then wondered what her reputation was. Why only as an afterthought? I liked the colorful abstract print and silk at Poshmark (an online consignment mall) prices is almost always a done deal.
IMG_3231 - Copy.jpg
Clicking around her website I was amazed at how humdrum the offerings on the opening Unisex opening page were. But I was also impressed by how many of the pictures of her 2019/20 collection showed men in her skirts and dresses. Not to mention how good they looked!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

If I remember correct Vivienne has been playing with men in skirts designs for a while now on the catwalk. ...
Nothing practical and nothing marketable as yet .

If we look at ourselves .....including myself....we have all had good ideas...but nothing has happened yet....

The only thought I will give you is to go round the charity shops until you can buy something you can wear for £ 5. ...five pounds ....
Then you can try to project that idea.....I am wearing full summer skirts with an elasticated waist band .
Then a designer or wearer can push themselves forward from that position ....
Both Carl and I have independently moved to this design and are independently working away from this basic design in our street attire.....

There are simple male garments which are popular in their country of origin . However no one has internationally hit the street with a marketable product.....
The sulu and the male sarong are perfect examples of this point . No male holiday maker can buy one of these garments and wear it on their local surfing beach .

Perhaps a bit off the thread , and a bit of a rant but folks who drive fast sports cars cannot risk breaking into the world of the likes of Vivienne Westwood
to satisfy the needs of the Men in Skirts .....
As far as I am aware some of the high street fashion chains tried to pinch designs from the catwalks.
Even by using rag trade sweat shops for cheap production their efforts have failed and
I am lead to believe that some High Street Chains are closing their less profitable Female Fashion retail outlets .
Alen58

Post by Alen58 »

I wear a sarong to the beach ..
I usually wear it at knee height and it works fine for me .
See Avatar.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Alen58 I also wear a sarong but only on holiday in climes that are temperature-wise, HOT. Like Egypt, Spain and so on. It's the only type of skirt that is ( reluctantly ) acceptable to MOH for outside wear. I don't like the long version so fold the material lengthways so that when worn it is a knee-length garment. I really like them worn this way but have yet to wear one on home soil during summer. That's an idea - maybe next year.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I've worn my Vivienne Westwood dress to church several times. Also to the Art Museum. And those are just the places I can think of offhand.

It's hard to remember because my dresses are my default wardrobe choice.

Wee Laddie may I suggest you stop putting all of these restrictions on yourself and just go for it.

Btw, you can ask the Oregon Dept. of Motor Vehicles, they can verify that I drive my car FAST. Usually in heels.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.