From heaven (and the Onion)

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

From heaven (and the Onion)

Post by dillon »

As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: From heaven (and the Onion)

Post by Sinned »

I may be an iggorant working class so and so over here but wtf is this all about? Is it purely an American thing? Who are David Koch and Antonin Scalia? What is the importance of The Holy Trinity, which I presume is a church? Why has this event raised its priority in your perspective to warrant inclusion in our universes? Please give me a clue?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:I may be an iggorant working class so and so over here but wtf is this all about? Is it purely an American thing? Who are David Koch and Antonin Scalia? What is the importance of The Holy Trinity, which I presume is a church? Why has this event raised its priority in your perspective to warrant inclusion in our universes? Please give me a clue?
David Koch is an American oligarch and Antonin Scalia was a US Supreme Court "justice" appointed by Ronald Reagan in 1986 who actively worked to destroy the US Constitution by way of subversion until his death in 2016. That's a lot of damage. The "Holy Trinity" (in this context) is the "Father, Son, and Holy Ghost".

I wonder which slot Koch is hoping to buy for little Tony. (This was a piece of satire, mind, as was the piece in The Onion.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Sinned wrote:I may be an iggorant working class so and so over here but wtf is this all about? Is it purely an American thing? Who are David Koch and Antonin Scalia? What is the importance of The Holy Trinity, which I presume is a church? Why has this event raised its priority in your perspective to warrant inclusion in our universes? Please give me a clue?
Yeah, sorry about confusion for our distant brethren. It was very much an American thing, a bit of satire regarding US conservative icons. I feel a bit lost too, at times when UK politics are discussed, so you’re not alone in that.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It's all right dillon, but you might have put a warning at the start - all non US ignore this as you probably wouldn't understand it. I get lost off with politics at times because, like a lot of people, I just don't have the interest or stamina. But it's a shame that the Brexit thread was locked because British politics at the moment is full of plots, sub-plots, manoeuverings, possible partnerings, an opposition party leader wanting to force a vote of no confidence and become a short-term PM but no-one likes him enough to let him do it. What's happening now would make a great film or TV series once it's all over. All to stop a no-deal Brexit that Europe seems bent on forcing on us and seems likely to happen anyway. Or not. Who knows? Shame really as it's all fascinating and moving towards maybe a series of cliff edges once Parliament reconvenes next month.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Aargh! I want to type something, but don't want to be accused of being political or start another battle! Must resist! Must resist!

Not letting onto which side of the fence I am on, but I am glad BoJo is forcing the issue to a head, three years of bickering, that pointless bickering bunch of twits (misprint) in Westminster will never reach any sort of agreement, they have had three years, at least BoJo is trying to get things to move on to some sort of conclusion. I am just disappointed that Ruth Whatsherface in the Scottish Parliament is standing down, although now that she has a child I can see why she wants more family time (I like kids, but couldn't eat a whole one!). Ruth Thingubby is the only person in that Scottish eyesore who I have ever heard speak sense.

I hope I have managed to avoid lighting any blue touchpaper!

Live Long and fester!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Brexit is a disaster. It’s a self-inflicted wound to the country as it leaves the largest economic power on the globe, With influence at the top table, control over the vast majority of domestic and international affairs already in place and unlikely to change, and an immigration Issue which is about 45% non-EU. Putting lies to the vote of an illiterate and ill educated public is not a sensible way to govern countries, decide matters of great import, nor to decide things on a knife edge vote. It is an absolute car crash, Caused by a UK government that mistakenly tried but to bury the issue once and for all, and propagated by ineffectual leaders subsequent to that vote. Far from the EU demanding a hard exit, it is the incompetence of the government and intransigence of Parliament as a whole to vote through an acceptable compromise. After 45 years of successful economic growth as part of a greater union, after 45 years and more of peace within a unified Europe, We are about to turn our back on all of that.

Nobody bothered about the EU until this was put to the referendum. I never heard people talk about it or complain about it. It was a knee-jerk reaction to years of austerity and to the entrenched party and system at the time. Much the same happened in the USA in the same year.

I would be more encouraged if I heard about a plan in place for a post-EU world. However the leave campaign has produced not one scintilla of argument or rational debate or facts or evidence to support what our new world will look like. Dogma does not feed people. Blind faith does not make the world go round. What we reap, so shall we sew.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Yes, BoJo isn't exactly flavour of the month over here on the Emerald isle. Things are slowing visibly due to understandable investor hesitancy. 10-11 years after the crash of '08 the economy here has been motoring along nicely with a lot of infrastructure investment and record numbers gainfully employed.

We certainly don't want another crash but forces beyond our control might arrange that for us.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Yeah, this was probably way too political to be posting. Don't mock the dead, and all that, but it was worth a chuckle.

CR, I have to say you have a unique take on Justice Scalia. He was an originalist, which basically means that he refused to "find" things in the text of the Constitution that aren't there, sticking to the meaning of the text as it was when adopted. He understood that his job was to interpret the law, not rewrite it. (That should have made him as vanilla as they come, but in the US that made him a conservative and a hero of the right.) He was blunt and outspoken in his decenting opinions when he thought the other Justices had made a bad decision, but he could also be civil with his ideological opponents, and was reportedly close friends with Ruth Bader Ginsburg (another Supreme Court Justice who has a cult following amount liberals). He was a good man, who seemed to have a strong, genuine faith in God. He had a large family, and one of his sons went on to become a priest. I wouldn't speak ill of him in any context, even if he were still alive.

Today's political climate could use more like Justice Scalia, people who stand up and stand firm in their principals, while being civil with the other side. May he rest in peace.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Ray, further up north here there were complaints all the time about the unelected bureaucrats in Europe. You must have selective hearing! Yeah, the Europeans have dug their heels in but ultimately it's the incompetence of the MP's that's to blame for the putrid mess that we are in. Whatever the outcome it'll never be the right one! :?
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

It just has not been an issue in my experience. I lived in north England until about 7 years ago and nobody mentioned the EU. Nobody. Maybe it’s demographics, but the press were conspicuously silent on the issue.
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Sinned wrote:Ray, further up north here there were complaints all the time about the unelected bureaucrats in Europe. You must have selective hearing! Yeah, the Europeans have dug their heels in but ultimately it's the incompetence of the MP's that's to blame for the putrid mess that we are in. Whatever the outcome it'll never be the right one! :?
Yes - and those complaints were mostly whipped up by repeated frenzies of manufactured outrage by the right-wing, populist, gutterpress rags of the Daily Mail and Daily Express and similar. How anyone with a modicum of intelligence can bear to read such tripe and still yet believe it, is beyond me. The Times and Telegraph are not much better, but at least they sometimes have some semblance of analysis.

MPs by and large are intelligent, committed people. It's not incompetence on their part that has resulted in this mess but the almost impossible task of trying to reconcile such polarised views caused by Cameron's stupid, stupid, decision to call a referendum in the first place, along with all the downright lies and misinformation put about by the leave side in the run-up campaign. Such a close call of 48% - 52% was doomed to result in the chaos and utter disenchantment we are experiencing now on all sides. If this result had been a scientific experiment, you'd be very wary indeed of reading significance into such a small margin. It would have been better to nullify the referendum result and design a replacement one with more detailed questions and acknowledging the clear necessity for a significant majority, >60% perhaps, before accepting the result.
Whatever the outcome it'll never be the right one!
It's too late now; the UK is well and truly f****d, probably for a generation, being led by a self-serving right-wing prime minister and his utterly dangerous adviser (Dominic Cummings). I stop short of comparing them with Hitler and Goebbels, but I'm beginning to hear it said by others. I mourn the loss of our proper democracy (not the 'you lost, get over it' type, which is sheer bullying) and truly fear the worst. I hope we never get to the stage where we have brown-shirted neo-nazi thugs on our streets. But it won't take much. Then where will men in skirts feel safe? What will then be in store for LGBT people?

Going back now to weep quietly in my garden shed.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... es-cartoon
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)