You just can’t make this stuff up...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

You just can’t make this stuff up...

Post by dillon »

As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: You just can’t make this stuff up...

Post by moonshadow »

Reading that in careful context, it sounds like he was joking.

The comment is pretty mild compared to what we're accustomed to.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Impeachment sounds like being in order, but maybe he wil be singing soon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBfxl_T6ldg
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Gusto10 wrote:Impeachment sounds like being in order, but maybe he wil be singing soon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBfxl_T6ldg
No. That would just divide the nation further. Plus it is clear nobody can pin anything solid on him.... a waste of time and valuable resources.

I don't care for the man, but this impeachment thing needs to stop. Narcissism is annoying, but its not a crime.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

moonshadow wrote:Reading that in careful context, it sounds like he was joking.

The comment is pretty mild compared to what we're accustomed to.
Perhaps...but perhaps, after 30 months of hearing the man’s daily feculence of hateful ignorance, we have become numb to things we should find troubling, like the lesson taught to a suicidal George Bailey by the angel Clarence Odbody in Frank Capra’s It’s a Wonderful Life . George finds himself transported from lovely, friendly Bedford Falls to the alternative hellish harsh and depressing Pottersville all because a good man wasn’t there to make a difference. Will we allow the politics du jour to make us stop being George Baileys and instead infuse us with the miserableness of Mr. Potter? Are we now accepting Trumpish behavior as normal and acceptable for a person who is the face of our nation?

Too, I’d just ask whether you’ve ever heard ANY President joke about our nation’s highest honors for service? Or any other politician? Some things deserve a measure of solemnity.

I found the Indiana Jones themed satire perfect, especially because it emerged even ahead of the President’s self-shaming. But I might not object to Donald Trump immediately receiving the Medal of Honor if awarded in the same manner that one of my family ancestors received it - posthumously. Just kidding, guys, so lighten up. If we can’t laugh our way through the final 18 months of Trump, we’ll all need Jimmy Stewart movies to get us through.
Last edited by dillon on Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Plus it is clear nobody can pin anything solid on him....
The same was said a while back about John Gotti. Sometimes it's worth staying on the case.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:
moonshadow wrote:Plus it is clear nobody can pin anything solid on him....
The same was said a while back about John Gotti. Sometimes it's worth staying on the case.
Perhaps... but we're so close to election time anyway... by the time this plays out, we'll be well into the next term. I question how much of this is just politics run amuck.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Perhaps... but we're so close to election time anyway... by the time this plays out, we'll be well into the next term.
In the current system, it is impossible to call the next election, so the ongoing work has value and is done correctly. The work will also have value once the individual is out of office as criminal matters have statutes of limitation measured in years. (In the unlikely event that we wake up from this hangover and restore the republic.)
I question how much of this is just politics run amuck.
Some, no doubt is -- certainly the inter-"party" sniping; however, I have a sneaking suspicion that there's vastly more immediately below the surface than most are aware of. Contemplate how much of an iceberg is below the waterline.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:In the current system, it is impossible to call the next election, so the ongoing work has value and is done correctly.
It had better be done correctly and with great care and diligence. A lot is at stake. If we (they) get it wrong the extremist will be unstoppable. Religions get formed when people are martyred, and we already have a growing number of people that think Trump represents the second coming of Christ and that he is a holy gift of the divine.

Tread lightly... the world is a powder keg...
-Andrea
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

moonshadow wrote:
crfriend wrote:In the current system, it is impossible to call the next election, so the ongoing work has value and is done correctly.
It had better be done correctly and with great care and diligence. A lot is at stake. If we (they) get it wrong the extremist will be unstoppable. Religions get formed when people are martyred, and we already have a growing number of people that think Trump represents the second coming of Christ and that he is a holy gift of the divine.

Didn't he say recently that he is chosen one? I doubt whether he referred to being choses as Potus via elections, on the other hand I hope that only such was intended.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

dillon wrote:
moonshadow wrote:Reading that in careful context, it sounds like he was joking.

Just kidding, guys, so lighten up. If we can’t laugh our way through the final 18 months of Trump, we’ll all need Jimmy Stewart movies to get us through.

The way I look at it its the final 4 years and 18 months of Trump Than lets see after about 4 years of Pence it will be 8 years of Ivanka.

Oligarchy hey CR did I spell it right
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:The way I look at it its the final 4 years and 18 months of Trump Than lets see after about 4 years of Pence it will be 8 years of Ivanka.
The place will effectively cease to exist by then, or, if it still exists won't be a place worth living. I can see the US being torn apart in a civil war or large swathes of it seceding if things don't start improving.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Hmm things improving you mean like the economy the job market especially for minorities . Hay you are right there could be some secessions

The independent state of California sounds good ( its going to fall off anyway) we can send all of the illegal immigrants there sanctuary, yes sanctuary they cried
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote:The place will effectively cease to exist by then, or, if it still exists won't be a place worth living. I can see the US being torn apart in a civil war or large swathes of it seceding if things don't start improving.

I can think of a few states that it would be better if they did secede. I won't say which ones because i don't want to start a war here.

How ever there is one on the west coast that should be number one.
Last edited by Fred in Skirts on Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

oldsalt1 wrote:Hmm things improving you mean like the economy the job
I think that that is one hope that would have very broad support. Groups that disagree regarding social issues may all want to see the economy thrive.