Anti-theft device

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Anti-theft device

Post by FranTastic444 »

Funny how many in the US refer to the parking brake as the emergency brake. In fact, in MA you cannot take a test in a car that doesn't have a central handbrake that the examiner can operate (which rules out every Mercedes).

Maybe not best practice, but I only use the parking brake in the US when I'm on a big hill (with the wheels turned the appropriate way, of course :-) ). I love that little rocking movement you get after putting the car in park and then taking your foot off the brake - reminds me of all the old American films and TV shows I used to watch as a kid.

Many cars how have electric rather than mechanical hand brakes (this is the case on my current Ford Escape / Kuga) that automatically disengage when you drive off. Hill start assist is also pretty common - the car holds the brake for you whilst you do the accelerator / clutch balancing act (pretty useful on a manual car - saves you messing around with the handbrake).
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

Story time: I was moving a fuel truck with 1500 gallon of diesel fuel on it. I came to a long low grade and down shifted an as I apply the brakes pedal it went to the floor. As I traveled on down the grade I came around a turn, there was a tractor trailer with a lowboy trailer on it high centered at the bottom of the hill with just enough room to get a car between the bumper of the truck and the guard rail on the opposite side of the road. I picked the first driveway, I saw and with the emergency brake pulled as hard as I could I got the truck stopped. Fuel was splashing out of the top from the sharp turn and the emergency brake was glowing red. What a wild ride, the emergency brake was one that went around the driveshaft.
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

I have driven a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton truck as a work truck most of my working days that had standard shift 4 on the floor and I have never used the emergency brake to start on a hill and have never back into one getting started even when I worked on William mountain in West Virginia.