Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by dillon »

Fred in Skirts wrote:I have a great admiration for the Dutch engineers. They do a marvelous job of keeping the sea from over running the country. :D

And you are right about the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. I don't believe they could patch a tire without the tire exploding. Of course it would take 5 years for them to even get to the tire because of all of the meetings and planning they have to do to do anything at all. :x
My experience with the Corps of Engineers left me with the impression that they are nothing more than a Republican political rubber-stamp. When it comes to wetlands, the USDA-NRCS puts far more limitations on farmers than the Corps of Engineers puts on real estate developers, with vastly greater environmental consequences from real estate development.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

dillon wrote:My experience with the Corps of Engineers left me with the impression that they are nothing more than a Republican political rubber-stamp. When it comes to wetlands, the USDA-NRCS puts far more limitations on farmers than the Corps of Engineers puts on real estate developers, with vastly greater environmental consequences from real estate development.
They were the same when the Democrats were in office. They do what ever the administration in office wants. They have nothing to do but follow orders no matter who makes the order.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Mrs C and I went to the solicitors today to talk about power of attorney in case one of us went crazy (in my case, being even crazier than wearing a skirt :lol: ). We both wore knee-length A-line denim skirts, not by design, it just happened that way.
The solicitor looked at us and made a comment about us dressing for the summer. That was it, and we got on with the legal stuff. What was really nice, he wasn't wearing a suit and tie, just casual clothes with an open-neck shirt. I felt more relaxed with him like that.
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

This week at the local deli, where I go on a regular basis, wearing a knee length skirt and polo top. The lady serving commented that it was a nice day for wearing shorts!, there was no way that the skirt could be mistaken for shorts, selective blindness?

John
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

I'm on my way home,just been on a cruise around the Fjords of Norway .It's been a little cold but i have worn a skirt when i could .Most of the time aboard ship and some ports when not too cold. It was great ,one of my table mates at dinner asked if i was cold in that skirt as she was cold in her dressi said no but its the way she put empasis onthe word skirt i think she was tryng to embarras me . i had drunk a few mai tais so it didnt bother me . I love going away i can wear a skirt more easily than at home .
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Travelling through some remote parts of Australia, we stopped in a small town to get fuel and my travel companion wanted to have lunch in the pub so that he could use their power outlet to download images to his laptop. An outback pub, sort of stockmen's hall of fame theme, with most men wearing jeans, hats and boots. I had the hat and boot part of the equation but was somewhat abberant in wearing a mini skirt. The publican was very accommodating as the "downloading" took quite some time, with one table (barrel) packed with electonic gear while we sat on stools at another to enjoy our lunch. Plenty of people came and went and I filled in a bit of time looking at old 1974 photos on the wall (the year I first travelled through there!) and talked to publican about the good old days (before he was born). There was never a second glance at my attire by anyone. I am very confident in my demeanor these days but maintaining it while sitting on a high stool in a mini skirt was challenging.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

I'm home now didn't have many photos taken of myself only one this time in front of a waterfall .I did walk to the top and you can walk right through to the other side .thankfully i had a jacket with me it did get a little wet up there .

weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thanks for photo of waterfall..Your denim skirt looks good.
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

beachlion wrote about his native Netherlands:
Thanks to about 3000 years of experience in water management, you still can walk in about the third of the country that is below sea level with dry feet. Unless you jump in one of the countless canals or go out in the rain. The lowest point is about 22 feet below sea level and counting with the sinking soil and the rising sea.
Yes, but it has a high point of 322 m (1056 ft) on the Vaalserberg.

My wife and i were there years ago when our daughter was living in Aachen. On top is the Dreiländereck (Three-country-corner) where the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany meet. I think you can see Amsterdam from there, there certainly is nothing in the way. : ) https://www.aachen-friedrich-wilhelm-pl ... nderpunkt/ (scroll down a bit)
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

KenCT wrote:beachlion wrote about his native Netherlands:
Thanks to about 3000 years of experience in water management, you still can walk in about the third of the country that is below sea level with dry feet. Unless you jump in one of the countless canals or go out in the rain. The lowest point is about 22 feet below sea level and counting with the sinking soil and the rising sea.
Yes, but it has a high point of 322 m (1056 ft) on the Vaalserberg.

My wife and i were there years ago when our daughter was living in Aachen. On top is the Dreiländereck (Three-country-corner) where the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany meet. I think you can see Amsterdam from there, there certainly is nothing in the way. : ) https://www.aachen-friedrich-wilhelm-pl ... nderpunkt/ (scroll down a bit)
When you run around that border marker, you can be in three different countries in a matter of seconds.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I have done that on the Sweden/Norway/Finland border! There’s a big concrete marker. Takes about 20 seconds to jog around it (in the snow!)
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

eightofnine wrote:I'm home now didn't have many photos taken of myself only one this time in front of a waterfall .I did walk to the top and you can walk right through to the other side .thankfully i had a jacket with me it did get a little wet up there .

Nice skirt! Well put together outfit :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

The other day, working in my garden, I was wearing my Blaklader garden kilt. One neighbour came up and we spoke for quit some time, he was not batting a eye on my attire. Another neighbour came up in between and also no glance.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Went into the Dollar General today to pick up a few things, was wearing one of my denim midi skirts.

A little girl, looked to be around 12 years old or so walked in and just stood there staring at me, jaw dropped, wide eyes... I could tell this was blowing her mind! :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

eightofnine wrote:I'm home now didn't have many photos taken of myself only one this time in front of a waterfall .I did walk to the top and you can walk right through to the other side .thankfully i had a jacket with me it did get a little wet up there .
A very practical type of skirt and a good length for comfortable walking. I can't see if it has pockets, belt loops or zipper position - just interested because the combination of rear zip with belt loops and pockets is a good but rare combination.
moonshadow wrote: Went into the Dollar General today to pick up a few things, was wearing one of my denim midi skirts.

A little girl, looked to be around 12 years old or so walked in and just stood there staring at me, jaw dropped, wide eyes... I could tell this was blowing her mind!
You did her a favour because she should be accustomed to more unusual things after 12 years. I once got the stunned mullet look from a boy about 6 years old, wide eyes and mouth open, which made me chuckle.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia